Space Marine Speech

Kilofix

Really? So the Praetorians weren't Colonial British regiments? The Tallarn aren't Arab regiments? The Valhallans aren't the Red Army? The Mordians aren't Prussians?

If I remember right Tallan were WW2 SAS in Africa and personally I always thought of the Mordians as space USMC!

Anyway, we can go from the voices we've been subjected to via video games or audio books but that is an out of universe reason. A Space Marine will have the accent of where he's from but over the course of many years/centuries I'd expect any accent to change. For example a chapter who recruit from multiple places would in theory have a mish mash of various accents which over time may change into entirely new accents from exposure to the others dialects and language.

This is all a long winded way of saying I just don't try to pin any accent on any Marine. As already stated they're gonna sound unique, picking an IRL accent/language from planet Earth is a simple solution for us to a very complex question :biggrin.: As for the tone of voice, I think we're all agreed that a deep voice fits a hulking Astartes best. A high pitched chipmonk voice would just be too hilarious to take seriously :teehee: 

There's a bit of Lawrence of Arabia in the Tallarn, but there's usually more than a single influence at play to keep things spicy (as is GW's way). As mentioned I don't think an accent really matters, short of our current perceptions that help Marines stand apart from the common man.

That's why I like to think of Marines as not using contractions and the like, as to our modern sensibilities that sounds a little odd and distinct. Like parts more official, and historic. Add in a booming voice and a Marine will feel quite a bit different to a human :smile.:

I remember having a similar discussion some time ago on pronunciation or something of the like where aided by the Dawn of War games I likened the difference to a Guardsman shouting "for the Emprah!" in his common tongue to a Marine bellowing "for the Emp-er-roar!" :laugh.: It's also a handy way to simplistically offer a bit of a difference between high and low gothic (especially if you add in more Latin terms for high), again useful since despite 40k's efforts most of us don't actually know Latin :wink:

Failing that; all Marines sound like a variation of Mark Strong :tongue.:

Really? So the Praetorians weren't Colonial British regiments? The Tallarn aren't Arab regiments? The Valhallans aren't the Red Army? The Mordians aren't Prussians?

If I remember right Tallan were WW2 SAS in Africa and personally I always thought of the Mordians as space USMC!

Anyway, we can go from the voices we've been subjected to via video games or audio books but that is an out of universe reason. A Space Marine will have the accent of where he's from but over the course of many years/centuries I'd expect any accent to change. For example a chapter who recruit from multiple places would in theory have a mish mash of various accents which over time may change into entirely new accents from exposure to the others dialects and language.

This is all a long winded way of saying I just don't try to pin any accent on any Marine. As already stated they're gonna sound unique, picking an IRL accent/language from planet Earth is a simple solution for us to a very complex question :biggrin.: As for the tone of voice, I think we're all agreed that a deep voice fits a hulking Astartes best. A high pitched chipmonk voice would just be too hilarious to take seriously :teehee:

Moridians are the Arditi from WWI, not the USMC.

Italian_army_%28Nouveaau_Larousse%2Cc._1

Orks have Cockney accents

In my head cannon, Orks speak in ebonics/jive.

I know their origin are soccer hooligans, but the closest equivalent I can think of here in the US is gangbangers, and, poor accuracy because they shoot the guns sideways, higher bravery when there are more of them, sagging pants and gang colors.

Eh checks out to me.

Edited by Trevak Dal

Moridians are the Arditi from WWI, not the USMC.

Nah. I mean I can see the uniform similarities but they'll always be Marines to me, stomping around the batlefield in their dress uniform! :yes:

WF that's a great point about Lawence of Arabia I had totally forgotten about that - to be fair it's a very valid point of everything being a mashup of a few inspirations rather than a direct port. It also means it's even more difficult to place an accent on a Marine for how they would sound...

... well, we can rule out any Marines yelling "For the Emprah!" at any rate. That is for Guardsmen only :happy.:

Mordians are pretty generic for their uniform if you consider the particular era (not to mention Praetorians). The blue certainly does them a strong link to the USMC dress uniform, but I'm old school Guard so no matter the inspirations a regiment will always be the regiment to me :wink:

But we're not here to discuss Guard, even if they tend to have more background in appearance when compared to Marines which makes it easier! That may be why this is harder to pin down as Marines will always be their iconic silhouette, adding some feathers or wings doesn't change that significantly so that leaves something like their voice to help give some character?

It's not something I've ever considered for my DIY armies, even non-Marines, and I have a fair bit of lore (here and there), now I'm wondering if it's something I should consider :tongue.:

I did have a plan for a Brian Blessed inspired TDA TH/SS Captain once upon a time, perhaps he can also be given appropriate voice..? :lol:

1) Nope. They borrow elements, yes, but none of them are directly based on a real army.

2) Do any of those actually glorify the military they are supposedly based on, or are they more of a satirical pastiche?

Look at DKoK. Very clear real world influences. Veeeery difficult to say they glorify anything.

Much as with the rest of the Guard, the main theme is the sheer human cost of warfare; whereas the heroics, by contrast, are all straight out of 80s action movies. Self consciously and intentionally hyperbolic.

Disclaimer: I am of course reading far too deeply into all of this, that's kind of my thing. Feel free to ignore my ramblings.

This, for regular Marines. Different characters, though...

I mean, since watching TTS, I can't think of Lucius' voice without that Mickey Mouse sort of thing going on. Same for other characters (Ahriman is all echoey and dramatic, Cypher's all edgy mysterious nonsense, Typhus is Jewish for some reason, etc).

Catachans are absolutely Australians, thank you very much.

You can't tell me with a straight face that Sly Marbo was based on anything but the Rambo movies. He ain't an aussie.

As for space marines there is only one objectively correct answer:

Actually when I look at Sly Marbo, he reminds me more Arnie from the Predator movie, I imagine him to be a composite of the various 80’s action heroes. His appearance from Arnie, his name from Rambo, the legends and stories about him actually remind me of the whole Chuck Norris persona, hell in his latest iteration he’s got Snake Plisken’s gun. As for Space Marines, I very much imagine hem sounding like the DoW marines in combat, especially through their Vox grills. As for what the sound like at other occasions, I imagine it would differ depending on chapter, world they are recruited from ( this could even differ with in a chapter for fleet based chapters), aswell as any cultural tropes a given chapter is based on.

Sorry brits, we stole the name “Marine” during the revolution and if you go to any country in the world and ask them “who are the Marines” more people will say USMC than they will say royal, so even though GW isn’t American, Marines are.

If I recall the Romans had marines, and I might be wrong but I think "marine" is a classification of infantry primarily stationed and deployed from a naval force, instead of say, regular infantry which is transported by the Navy to a place where they then fight, marines specialize in beach assault, and boarding actions.

Sorry brits, we stole the name “Marine” during the revolution and if you go to any country in the world and ask them “who are the Marines” more people will say USMC than they will say royal, so even though GW isn’t American, Marines are.

If I recall the Romans had marines, and I might be wrong but I think "marine" is a classification of infantry primarily stationed and deployed from a naval force, instead of say, regular infantry which is transported by the Navy to a place where they then fight, marines specialize in beach assault, and boarding actions.

In their founding yes, but it’s become so much more.

• 1 month later...

I believe the marines voice can be as varied as you want them to be.  The galaxy is a big place after-all and it all depends on the culture of the chapter.   Personally, I do like the Dawn of War marine quotes.  They bombastically over the top that it is somewhat hilarious.   Even more so when you know the marines are being serious.