Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next C: SM supplements: Raven Guard & Iron Hands

• Please log in to reply
595 replies to this topic

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,597 posts
  • Faction: Sentinels

TL;DR You are cheating if you use this Stratagem more than once. Don't let people cheat you.

Easiest examples are Exemplar of the Chapter and all the equivalent stratagems. Same wording, but they actually have the 'once per battle limitation' written in.

Ah but you can’t use a stratagem twice in the same phase.

You can before the battle. Which is how you get multiple Veteran Intercessor squads.

• Goat Rider, Volt and Shinespider like this

The Sentinels
Chapter Command ([1]), Throne Company, Grail Company ([1], [2], [3]), Lance Company, Sword Company ([1], [2]), Dagger Company, Shield Company, Sigil Company, Tome Company, Storm Company, Shadow Company.

Current projects: Lance Company - Land Speeder TYPHOOOOOOON

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,289 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

I wonder really how far it will go. Will we see full blow 9 dread lists (3 vens, 3 normal and 3 ironclads) or will it be a 6 dread roll out? I mean the 9 dread roll out will likely not be the way, the 6 dread leaves you with 7CP.

Heck, throw in a redemptor or 2 and just have the pitstop screw follow them around since the others shouldn't need it much until later. And no, don't character the redemptors because they can't hide with character rule.

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 813 posts
Anyone knows if the infiltrate stratagem has been modified?

Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect

++ ANGARUS ARANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,421 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and DIY WIP

The point of March of the Ancients saying it’s used after selecting your Warlord is so you can’t use it to make a Dreadnought a Character and then choose it as your Warlord. That’s it.

This.

Just like Strike from the Shadows, you can use it as many times as you have CP to do it.

Have 6 Dreadnoughts in your list? If you want to spend 2/3rds of your CP before the battle starts they can all be characters.

It only specifies that it has to be after Warlord choice so you can't make a dreadnought a character and the Warlord, and thereby make it nearly impossible for your opponent to claim Slay the Warlord. GW did that on purpose because they know very well how tough they just made Iron Hands dreadnoughts.

Every pre-battle Strategem that can only be used once specifically states that in the wording.

If it does not say so, it can be used multiple times.

Edited by Claws and Effect, 15 September 2019 - 12:00 AM.

• Shinespider and Panzer like this

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,702 posts
Charactering a Redemptor (or Leviathan or Deredo) does allow it to be given a Warlord Trait via Hero of the Chapter and be shielded by Cogitated Martydom, plus the extra Attack doesn’t suck for it. I’m not saying you should go out and make every Redemptor a Character, but there is utility to the Stratagem beyond just making something untargettable.

quasistellar

quasistellar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 390 posts
Meh if character dreads were going to be great we’d have seen more chaplain dreads with twin las.

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,702 posts
Well. Now that Chappy dreads have prayers.... Also keep in mind this in the context of IH and all their new bonuses.

jeremy1391

jeremy1391

++ LIBRITOR VALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,269 posts
  • Faction: Knights/imperial fists

Raven Guard Centurions are one of the best units in the codex now.

Teleporting them in literally fixes any problem they have.

you know....

Just throw a giant jet pack on them and they would be rad flying little baby knights

Would be a pretty easy conversion with the inceptor jump packs

point_Zer0

point_Zer0

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 181 posts
  • Faction: XXth

To all of you arguing about using strategems mulpitple times "before the battle"
Yes, you can. Because there's this https://sun9-44.user...aEIu0o7JYhY.jpg
 aEIu0o7JYhY.jpg

And this in the latest faq to be 100% clear
Q: Is the Deployment step of a mission considered to be a ‘phase’
for the purposes of rules?
A: No.

• Goat Rider and Juggernut like this

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 940 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

you know....

Just throw a giant jet pack on them and they would be rad flying little baby knights

*GW employee furiously takes notes*

Shrike being 130 has gone under the radar I think. I know Feirros is very under-costed but I was expecting Shrike to be at least 150.

• Dracos likes this

Aztek

Aztek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 592 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

you know....

Shrike being 130 has gone under the radar I think. I know Feirros is very under-costed but I was expecting Shrike to be at least 150.

For sure. Crossing the Rubicon Primaris gives you a a discount apparently.

• Sarges and Dark Shepherd like this

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts

I believe he is saying that B must come after A, and not after C. Nor can B happen after B, but must only be after A

Yes, this. Thank you.
  • Dark Shepherd likes this

Rune Priest Jbickb

Rune Priest Jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,374 posts

I believe he is saying that B must come after A, and not after C. Nor can B happen after B, but must only be after A

Yes, this. Thank you.

However by this logic you could not use Hero of the Chapter, or any of the other several strats that go after warlord selection, and this strat which I am certain is not the case. Based on your logic you could only ever use 1 of these stratagems, period as they are all a "B" in this scenario. I highly doubt that is the intent of any of these stratagems and it is certainly not CHEATING or WAAC to read it that way.
  • Panzer likes this
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Calmness for Acceptance
My Kindness for Weakness

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts

Yes, this. Thank you.
However by this logic you could not use Hero of the Chapter, or any of the other several strats that go after warlord selection, and this strat which I am certain is not the case. Based on your logic you could only ever use 1 of these stratagems, period as they are all a "B" in this scenario. I highly doubt that is the intent of any of these stratagems and it is certainly not CHEATING or WAAC to read it that way.

Okay, I'm convinced. It is not cheating.

You can currently make an army of character dreads.

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,358 posts
  • Faction: Primaris Warhawks
Until it gets FAQed.

On the point cost of characters. After the last CA Shrike was stupid overcosted compared to the other Marine characters. His current bump seems about right to me considering the shenanigans he pull off. I’m dissappointed we couldn’t get FW characters Lias and Tyberos but I think we can get a decent version of them out of the book with all the new bobs and bits :) Good book
  • Volt likes this

Hope is a moment now long past, the Shadow of Death is the one I cast

sml_gallery_7985_14167_21284.pnggallery_48988_10069_135.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_87434_12256_5320.png sml_gallery_7985_15940_5720.jpg

9eRaven Guard : 9 - 1

PL Crusade : 4 - 4 - 1
Imperial Knights : 3 - 2

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts

Until it gets FAQed.

I'll need to face it first before I agree with that being necessary. Lots of stuff can be done with this army with CP, but where will all that CP come from? More troops for battalions means less toys, but more toys in comparison means less screens.
  • Mr4Minutes likes this

Kythnos

Kythnos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 931 posts
  • Faction: Stonebreakers

you know....

Poor Haarken at 115. The Worldclaimer will definitely not claim any world that Shrike is on...

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,105 posts
  • Faction: Anges de Vindication

Considering that Shrike can get whipped easily by a Smash Captain which are DIRT CHEAP compared to other HQ's, if anything 130 point is too expensive given his relative lack of utility outside of buffing Vanguard Vet suicide squads.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

+Quod vult valde vult+

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,358 posts
  • Faction: Primaris Warhawks

Until it gets FAQed.

I'll need to face it first before I agree with that being necessary. Lots of stuff can be done with this army with CP, but where will all that CP come from? More troops for battalions means less toys, but more toys in comparison means less screens.

^This^

Absolutely the thought that has been on my mind since listening to the Supplement reviews. All those stratagems my Raven Guard have are sweet as potato pie, but without enough CP to fuel them, the combos are going to have to be very carefully planned out - hopefully without too many points of dysfunction, or you'll need to a deep knowledge of how to apply them at just the right moments.

Less of an issue for Firstborn or Scout  fueled CP generation but then you miss out on the benefits these books have that can take simple Troop Intercessors and make them perform at an Elite level.

Hope is a moment now long past, the Shadow of Death is the one I cast

sml_gallery_7985_14167_21284.pnggallery_48988_10069_135.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_87434_12256_5320.png sml_gallery_7985_15940_5720.jpg

9eRaven Guard : 9 - 1

PL Crusade : 4 - 4 - 1
Imperial Knights : 3 - 2

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,159 posts

With 24 pages here,  I couldnt find what  I was looking for- is there a summary of the strats for each of these guys? 

Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

quasistellar

quasistellar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 390 posts
Is everyone taking crazy pills now? Shrike has a lack of utility?
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

Aztek

Aztek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 592 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

*Sigh* One guy says Shrike lacks utility because he probably won't beat a Smash Captain, and now "everyone" says Shrike lacks utility. I think most think he came out of this pretty decent, but he ain't no Iron Father.

Edited by Aztek, 16 September 2019 - 02:24 AM.

ShinyRhino

ShinyRhino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,715 posts

With 24 pages here, I couldnt find what I was looking for- is there a summary of the strats for each of these guys?

Search 4chan.
  • Morticon likes this
-- "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,159 posts

With 24 pages here, I couldnt find what I was looking for- is there a summary of the strats for each of these guys?

Search 4chan.

doesnt appear to be there yet

Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

Cryptix

Cryptix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,260 posts
  • Faction: Dusk Raiders, Lords of Stone

Search 4chan.

doesnt appear to be there yet

https://1d4chan.org/...8E)#Raven_Guard

https://1d4chan.org/...(8E)#Iron_Hands

• Morticon likes this

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_02_Failed.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users