Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next C: SM supplements: Raven Guard & Iron Hands

• Please log in to reply
595 replies to this topic

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,696 posts

thankies!

Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 763 posts
While I could see this being abused by some :cuss bag, its clearly the intention of the games designers that you be able to use the stratagem more than once, or else it would state that you can only use it once. Using it on three dreads is no more overpowered than me taking three chaplain dreads, or three librarian dreads, which I wouldn't do anayway because I'm not a :cuss bag., sure you could take it on three, dreadnoughts, then three venerable dreads, then three mortis dreads followed by three ironclads, but you're only gonna pull that :cuss so many times before no one at the club or FLGS wants to play you anymore. Now if you are a WAAC player, one would hope you'd have WAAC gaming buddies you 'train' with for tournaments, which is fine because you both know what you're getting into. Basically gamers need to remember the social contract that we enter into with our opponents, and make sure if we are gonna play a game, we're on the same page. Simple.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants, 16 September 2019 - 07:16 AM.

gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,264 posts

While I could see this being abused by some :cuss bag, its clearly the intention of the games designers that you be able to use the stratagem more than once, or else it would state that you can only use it once. Using it on three dreads is no more overpowered than me taking three chaplain dreads, or three librarian dreads, which I wouldn't do anayway because I'm not a :cuss bag., sure you could take it on three, dreadnoughts, then three venerable dreads, then three mortis dreads followed by three ironclads, but you're only gonna pull that :cuss so many times before no one at the club or FLGS wants to play you anymore. Now if you are a WAAC player, one would hope you'd have WAAC gaming buddies you 'train' with for tournaments, which is fine because you both know what you're getting into. Basically gamers need to remember the social contract that we enter into with our opponents, and make sure if we are gonna play a game, we're on the same page. Simple.

That example won't happen. There's no way an IH list would commit 9 CP to character Dreads before the game even starts. I don't think many of these lists will have more than 9 CP to play with to begin with.

And if they do decide to spend that much CP, then I welcome it.

Rumour has it the Fist character will be Captain of the 3rd Company, Tor Garadon.

Edited by Lemondish, 16 September 2019 - 09:10 AM.

• sfPanzer likes this

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 735 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

Considering that Shrike can get whipped easily by a Smash Captain which are DIRT CHEAP compared to other HQ's, if anything 130 point is too expensive given his relative lack of utility outside of buffing Vanguard Vet suicide squads.

And why would any sensible RG player send Shrike up against a smash captain though? Shrike could single handedly rip apart an opponents backfield if left unnoticed. 

He plays the exact same way Corax plays in 30k, targeting troops and backfield units. We don't shoot our commanders out of cannons at the enemy. We leave that for lesser Chapters.

• Juggernut, Shinespider and ShibeKing like this

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,730 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

While I could see this being abused by some censored.gif bag, its clearly the intention of the games designers that you be able to use the stratagem more than once, or else it would state that you can only use it once. Using it on three dreads is no more overpowered than me taking three chaplain dreads, or three librarian dreads, which I wouldn't do anayway because I'm not a censored.gif bag., sure you could take it on three, dreadnoughts, then three venerable dreads, then three mortis dreads followed by three ironclads, but you're only gonna pull that censored.gif so many times before no one at the club or FLGS wants to play you anymore. Now if you are a WAAC player, one would hope you'd have WAAC gaming buddies you 'train' with for tournaments, which is fine because you both know what you're getting into. Basically gamers need to remember the social contract that we enter into with our opponents, and make sure if we are gonna play a game, we're on the same page. Simple.

That example won't happen. There's no way an IH list would commit 9 CP to character Dreads before the game even starts. I don't think many of these lists will have more than 9 CP to play with to begin with.

Rumour has it the Fist character will be Captain of the 3rd Company, Tor Garadon.

Double Battalion is possible however you will be left with only 4 CP left which, agreed isn't a good idea especially when 3 of those dreads are just vanilla dreads. Likely to see more of a 6 dread load-out running around imo, 3 ironclads and 3 vens. Pair that with a healthy dose of intercessor body bags and some repair crews and you should have a fairly hard to kill set of dreads.

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,264 posts

While I could see this being abused by some censored.gif bag, its clearly the intention of the games designers that you be able to use the stratagem more than once, or else it would state that you can only use it once. Using it on three dreads is no more overpowered than me taking three chaplain dreads, or three librarian dreads, which I wouldn't do anayway because I'm not a censored.gif bag., sure you could take it on three, dreadnoughts, then three venerable dreads, then three mortis dreads followed by three ironclads, but you're only gonna pull that censored.gif so many times before no one at the club or FLGS wants to play you anymore. Now if you are a WAAC player, one would hope you'd have WAAC gaming buddies you 'train' with for tournaments, which is fine because you both know what you're getting into. Basically gamers need to remember the social contract that we enter into with our opponents, and make sure if we are gonna play a game, we're on the same page. Simple.

Double Battalion is possible however you will be left with only 4 CP left which, agreed isn't a good idea especially when 3 of those dreads are just vanilla dreads. Likely to see more of a 6 dread load-out running around imo, 3 ironclads and 3 vens. Pair that with a healthy dose of intercessor body bags and some repair crews and you should have a fairly hard to kill set of dreads.

Don't really need to kill them if they're in a murder ball like that. Just wrap them up.

I think folks will find the solutions for Iron Hands will come fast ;)

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,730 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

Personally I have grav-turions which would likely mince such silliness fast anyway.

The main thing is right now it is all theory craft. In Theory this whole dreadnought thing seems over the top and unstoppable but in reality would have some issues. First is dreadnoughts have always been good however they main reason is they are great support and to some extent decent melee hulks. However part of that was their ability to turn into a captain for a phase which helped spread the re-rolls around which was a big deal.

However when you take them as your primary damage dealers, they are high quality with low quantity. Sure you can go assault cannons and storm bolters on venerables or opt for hurricane bolters on ironclads but not exactly efficient and however you equip them, they are rapidly pigeon-holed into one role (ether anti-infantry or anti-tank). This means they are still in need of support from other elements to cover this.

The big concern is the sudden and rapid loss of the character benefit when everything you brought to block with is dead. Because of being characters themselves, the dreads cannot shield the techmarines or any other HQ support backing them and so could rapidly lose any boosts they are gaining.

Another issue is that despite what others may say: 6" ain't quick. You can advance but now you aren't firing, a lot of good that dev doctrine did ya! Sure Ironclads can advance but...wait...they got out in front and now are dead because they forgot to keep with the group. It very much is an army that wants to roll up the board and nothing else. You could establish firing lines further back with venerables but then you are asking for deep strike to come and mess you up or for faster units to flank and spank.

Iron Hands have a lot of promise but even within myself I feel torn because while the boost to toughness is great, you have to build into it. You can't just casually slap iron hand on it and expect it to work.

It is again a case that so far all the chapters have been fairly well written and are great because they represent the chapters well. Ultramarines seem the most commonly applicable to all lists but that comes from their nature flex, they don't do anything like a master but they follow the "jack of all trades, master of none but better than a master of one". White Scars show their power in melee and getting close and personal and doing so very quickly. Raven Guard are all about eroding the support then kicking them out when weakened, Iron Hands however are more of a "I'm the Juggernaut, scum!" in that they may not be mobile but by the Emperor we just did more damage to the terrain than the army!

• PeteySödes and Dracos like this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

DreamIsCollapsing

DreamIsCollapsing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Ok guys I have a insoluble question for you. 

In the Iron hands supplement, there is this "For Istvaan" stratagem to boost again Night lords, Alpha legion, Iron warriors and Word Bearers. 

I Can understand why there isnt Black legion (they didnt exist at this time). 

But why no Death Guard, World eater or Emperor's children.

Furthemore Emperor's children are the dude who killed they primarch ! 

I looked down the sights of my rifle, my target looked back. It's eyes were all the eyes I'd ever loved. They promised everything I could ever want. Love, comfort, safety. An end to this nightmare. I felt my will draining out of me, entranced by those eyes.

Profil pic by Qsy draw a lot

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,348 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

Ok guys I have a insoluble question for you. 

In the Iron hands supplement, there is this "For Istvaan" stratagem to boost again Night lords, Alpha legion, Iron warriors and Word Bearers. 

I Can understand why there isnt Black legion (they didnt exist at this time). 

But why no Death Guard, World eater or Emperor's children.

Furthemore Emperor's children are the dude who killed they primarch ! 

Because that stratagem in particular is referring to the actual betrayal that took place at Isstvan - where the NL/AL/IW/WB unexpectedly surrounded and destroyed the Loyalists instead of providing reinforcement. You'll note that there is a stratagem that has a bonus effect when IH fight against EC, the name of said stratagem playing off Ferrus' duel with Fulgrim ("The Gorgon's Rage"), so they've covered all bases here. DG, WE and SoH/BL aren't particularly notable in comparison and so aren't included.

Edited by Marshal Loss, 16 September 2019 - 07:00 PM.

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,328 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Because they were betrayed by those specific legions and not the sons of horus, death guard, world eaters or emperor's children?

thewarriorhunter

thewarriorhunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,266 posts
  • Faction: Spectral Sicarii (RG Succesor)

RG have the same strat, and I assume we'll see the same one for the Salamanders since they were the other Legion that was betrayed at that event.

Kain Mor

Kain Mor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
What does the Istvaan strat actually do?

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,315 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Considering that Shrike can get whipped easily by a Smash Captain which are DIRT CHEAP compared to other HQ's, if anything 130 point is too expensive given his relative lack of utility outside of buffing Vanguard Vet suicide squads.

And why would any sensible RG player send Shrike up against a smash captain though? Shrike could single handedly rip apart an opponents backfield if left unnoticed. 

He plays the exact same way Corax plays in 30k, targeting troops and backfield units. We don't shoot our commanders out of cannons at the enemy. We leave that for lesser Chapters.

I don't think it's about sending Shrike against a Smash Captain but rather a Smash Captain being able to do the same job for less points (just with a hammer instead of claws obviously) hence why Shrike shouldn't be this expensive.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Bluflash

Bluflash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts

I don't think you should be using Shrike as an anti-knight suicide missile. Getting the Chapter Master and charge buffs means he's valuable as a force multiplier. He will chew through back-line units, and with 14" move has be ability to strike across the board and be where he's most valuable.

He's about the same price, saves you 2CP, and has a very different role. 

• Biscuittzz and Aztek like this

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,004 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate

What does the Istvaan strat actually do?

Use in fight phase when a friendly iron hands unit is chosen to fight  Until end of phase, when resolving a melee weapon attack used against word bearers, iron warriors, night lords, and alpha legion, re-roll hits.

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 735 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

I don't think it's about sending Shrike against a Smash Captain but rather a Smash Captain being able to do the same job for less points (just with a hammer instead of claws obviously) hence why Shrike shouldn't be this expensive.

But they won't be doing the same job though? Shrike will be mulching through troops and soft characters while you'll want your smash captain to go for knights, tanks, superheavies etc.

Can a smash go for troops and other things? Yea of course and will do it much better. But I'd say every player in the world will be happy to see a smash captain hitting his troops rather than his knight.

Equating them on points alone is a fallacy considering the CP investment, additional warlord traits required and chap/lib buffs needed to make a true smash captain. Not to mention Shrikes force multiplier abilities for jump and phobos troops.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect

++ ANGARUS ARANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,095 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and DIY WIP

Shrike is 130 by all reports.

With the increase to the cost of hammers for characters, Shrike is actually significantly cheaper.

A smash Captain for Codex Marines is 143 points. And he doesn't get an 18" range pistol that can target characters and deal mortal wounds.

Said it before, I'll say it again. A Smash Captain is a hammer. Shrike is a scalpel.

Edited by Claws and Effect, 16 September 2019 - 09:57 PM.

• Biscuittzz and Aztek like this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,582 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
Son of Corax is a very sharp scalpel not a hammer .
The world would be a better place if people stopped complaining about Primaris Space Marines.
=][=
my 40k blog:https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Space Marines 247=][=
wc.jpg
Blood and Honor!
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Mary_Sue Mary Sue and Plot Armor are terms used by losers

defl0

defl0

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 506 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard

Shrike is disgustingly good. I think most people just haven't realized he can move over 40 inches in a turn and charge something... lol

Dirty Uncle Pete's Raven Guard Tactics Blog:

http://www.petehappens.com

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

Shrike is disgustingly good. I think most people just haven't realized he can move over 40 inches in a turn and charge something... lol

Plus the shock and awe his haircut will cause upon his arrival.

defl0

defl0

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 506 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard

It's been known to make other chapter masters swoon ;)

Dirty Uncle Pete's Raven Guard Tactics Blog:

http://www.petehappens.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users