Suppressors - opinions?

Xenith

Until a short while ago I would've agreed with you, but with the Impulsor getting released soon things change a lot.

Unless the opponent goes first and destroys this T7 Sv4++ vehicle turn 1 he'll get punched into his face by Hellblasters in Rapid fire range. Sure they'll probably die next turn and you can mitigate that by putting them in cover if possible (with a 14" move, 3" disembark and 6" move on their own it should be possible to find cover in rapid fire range), but then they've already blasted apart something important. They are still glasshammers but they now got the perfect delivery method (okay okay Drop Pods would've been even better I give you that).

I'm definitely going to use one such unit combo for my semi-competetive games since I already own 5 Hellblaster anyway but I could see myself getting 5 more and a second Impulsor for more serious games. Nobody likes getting blasted bv 20 S8 AP-4 D2 shots turn 1 and every shot that tries to get past the 4++ is one that doesn't shoot my Dreadnoughts or Repulsors. ^^

When they eventually sell us some Impulsor models I will be joining in with many marine players in trying that combo out. I am not entirely sure that inflating the cost of each squad by nearly 100 points to get them there will work out the best option but it looks like fun and damn I worked too hard on the plasma glow to not put those models on the table sometime.

In the meantime I prefer my Suppressors.

• 2 months later...

Suppressors seem to be a really divisive unit - and not just on B&C

Throwing my 2 cents in:

They fill a niche in a primaris force for reasonably/cheap priced long range fire support. The do compete with las fusil eliminators in that slot, but rule of 3 and the price of both units means that for a not significant point investment, you have fire support in a primaris army easily covered

They are cheap fast attack for CP hungry armies that want to run brigades

IF, IH and UM doctrines run them best (3D, move and fire with rerolls or move and fire respectively)

The autocannon profile is a great all rounder and these guys bump the AP before doctrines are even applied

The whole overwatch cancelling thing has come up for me twice in the last 6 or 7 games, but the consistent fire output has been very solid. They are a lower profile target than invictors, aggressors and plasceptors so are rarely top of my opponent's prioriy list.

I feel like bolter inceptors should have had the suppression rule and been called suppresors.

According to the fluff bolter Inceptors have such a high rate of fire and low ammo reserves that they can only do very short bursts and if they'd hold down the trigger they could overwhelm almost any target but run out of ammo within seconds. Not ideal for suppressing fire. ^^

That would be an easy lore change, also you dont need to hold down the trigger to suppress someone...but that is another topic. I was mainly thinking from a tt viewpoint not lore if I'm honest. The targets you are shooting at with inceptors are much more likely to be the kind of targets you would want to deny overwatch.

I feel like bolter inceptors should have had the suppression rule and been called suppresors.

If there's anything left after my plasma inceptors shoot i'm usually sad.

That said, if the supporessing fire rule was based on a unit taking an unsaved wound, I suspect there'd be a lot less complaints (though suppressors would increase in price accordingly I'm sure).

That would be an easy lore change, also you dont need to hold down the trigger to suppress someone...but that is another topic. I was mainly thinking from a tt viewpoint not lore if I'm honest. The targets you are shooting at with inceptors are much more likely to be the kind of targets you would want to deny overwatch.

Between Suppressors and an Inquisitor I feel like I more or less have my overwatch suppression sorted. Even Tau overwatch is fairly well neutered by that combo.

To be fair, suppressing fire should be a thing on way more weapons and should affect other things than just overwatch too. So what's realistic is already far out of the window. It's just a fancy special rule for a specific unit and is justified by it being big bad shots that wreck a lot more things with a single round than other weapons (let's ignore Plasma here because why not). ^^

I don't necessarily agree with that either though. S7 AP-2 is a great allrounder to shoot at anything not just vehicles. It all but guarantees to kill at least one infantry model triggering the special rule. Especially with D2 now that we have lots W2 infantry as well. The Assault bolters of Inceptors with their S5 AP-1 D1 and 6 shots per model are there to kill lots of infantry, the autocannon of Suppressors with their S7 AP-2 D2 and 2 shots per model are there to reliably kill at least one guy.

Does anyone else miss pinning weapons? I feel like adding a pinning special rule take makes units unable to fire overwatch but gives them cover would be pretty good for 8th edition

Definitely. I hope if there is a new edition in the summer then they do add a bit of complexity to the game. Pinning etc would be a good mechanic.

I love suppressors, great unit at 90pts. I want a second squad but I don't want the same pose, gonna wait until the full unit box is out. 

I'm not sure a box is ever coming. It hasn't come for some other units in the shadowspear box - mainly on the chaos side. 

I'm converting some more suppressors using intercessor parts to get other poses. It's not too easy though, and I need to build another 6!

I love suppressors, great unit at 90pts. I want a second squad but I don't want the same pose, gonna wait until the full unit box is out.

I'm not sure a box is ever coming. It hasn't come for some other units in the shadowspear box - mainly on the chaos side.

I'm converting some more suppressors using intercessor parts to get other poses. It's not too easy though, and I need to build another 6!

Agreed. I mean how long are we going to wait for the Gravis Captain solo release? I mean, there are rumblings about more options in the kit when a larger Gravis release kits. I personally hope for shoulder mounted weapons like the IF and IH characters.

I would do a unit of Suppressors, but my go to fast attack now is Scout Bikers.

Does anyone else miss pinning weapons? I feel like adding a pinning special rule take makes units unable to fire overwatch but gives them cover would be pretty good for 8th edition

Yeah but thinking back to 7th ... I want another thing in addition. I want it to be a working mechanic too. GW really needs to sort out what they want to do with LD because as it is now they could basically remove it without it changing the game much if at all. :D 

• 4 weeks later...

I take three squads of three every game. Their overwatch cancelling always comes in handy, since I have an army that likes to assault. The range is great for killing castled up weaklings like havoc squads. They shoot at AP-3 in the Devastator doctrine, and do flat 2 damage which is great for killing elite infantry and lopping wounds off big models like dreads and tanks.

Lastly they have a sweet 12” move, and more often than not they are scooting around the battlefield turn 4-6 grabbing naked objectives for me.

I love them, they always pull their weight, and don’t draw as much attention as Hellblasters. Granted I am Salamanders, and that helps smooth out variance.

I personally like the weapon , not so much the points that jump pack adds to them, and Raven Guard do most their work out of the Tactical Phase so Bolter Inceptors work better for the Sons of Corax.