Better Primaris Buff ... Chaplain or Captain?

Dracos

I’m going over my list and trying to find ways to shave points to get more intercessors or infiltrators into a double battalion. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to give up on my dream of a double battalion because Primeros just cost so much for every unit headquarters or infantry.

I have started to look at the HQ although the supplement for Raven guard is not out yet and I’m thinking the chaplain has become a very juicy choice for an HQ. I was wondering how others of us thought the Chaplain role has evolved with the new rules and point cost and whether he could actually replace the Captain as far as a buff master?

I think the captain is still a better buffer for two reasons. First, his buff always works. You only need to be him or near him and you get re-rolls. Reliability is worth its weight in gold. Secondly, the new comms gear for infiltrators means that you do not even need to be near the captain to gain the benefit. This fits perfectly with phobos captains who don't want to be very close, ever.

Chaplains are less reliable but the variety of their buffs do give them a role to play. You can take one as a CC enhancer, beat stick of his own, or to give a buff to a unit that already is benefiting from a captain and lieutenant. Consider how much Imperial Fists love their centurions with re-rolling 1s to hit and wound. Now put a chaplain nearby and also get +1 to hit. Gold.

You have a point that I was trying to ignore I think. I haven’t deep dived in to Vanguard. The Phobos Troops are just so costly. But synergy with their Captain and the comma ability is worth mentioning. I tend to prefer more basic choices. Intercessors, Hellblasters, Aggressors, and Reivers.

The chaplain’s buffs are good but (as has been mentioned) the fact you have to roll for it was really disappointing when he was revealed. Really surprised they went for it too, especially as they acknowledged in the sisters beta codex feedback that the fact people had to roll for their buffs meant they were unreliable and it wasn’t a popular mechanic.

For that reason I’d generally always take a captain unless I had some really specific plan for the chaplain.

Captain, upgraded to a CM.

But you should be running a double Battalion, a single at the least. Take 2-4 HQs

I really am trying to run a double Raven Guard Battalion but I'm having issues with the Troop tax as an all Primaris army. I'm waffling between converting my unbuilt Reivers into Scouts or biting the bullet and picking up 10 Incursors and trimming some Aggressors and/or Hellblasters out of the list. SO .... yeah .... Supplement is much needed. Looking more and more like a Battalion and Vanguard or some other detachment.

Chappie having to roll doesn't bother me. At least it cant be denied like a Librarian. I'm big fan of throwing as many Primaris Marine bodies on the field as possible but know I still need some Hammer units to get the hard work done thus the need for Plasma-ceptors and Aggressors. I'm not afraid to build a 3 Captain list if that is what makes the list work but its nice to not have to spam units if there are viable alternatives.

I’m not really convinced by chaplains as buffing units. Giving a buff to a unit at the start of the battle round is going to let your opponent kill whatever you buffed half the time (i.e. if they went first) and also means it’s useless for anything in a transport or deep striking. Plus of course it can simply fail.

The best use of a chaplain seems to me to be a beatstick with the relic crozuis. With that, the self-buff prayer (so still needing to be there on foot at the Start of the round) and maybe the imperium’s sword warlord trait, he can get up to very high strength with attacks that cause 4 damage each.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of my primaris captain with the fist of vengeance. If he tweaked up with a smashlain like this then I think my army would be pretty dangerous to approach, even for things like knights. So I’d just have to worry about them shooting me off the board instead.