28mm to 32mm base adaptations

Indefragable

Hi all,

Looking to get started on some legacy characters that have been backlogged for me, and they are on 28mm bases. Looking to get ideas/inspirations for how to do it with some flair, if possible.

Simplest route: base adapters, such as this one randomly pulled from the internet (so personal experience) : https://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=761

Fun route: building the 28mm base/model per normal, then mounting it on top of a 32mm one in some sort of tiered pattern. No images available at this time, but I think it could be fun and also give named characters a bit of a boost to literally stand above the rest.

Inspiration and/or examples greatly appreciated!

-Indy

If you don't want to use the "25mm base on 32mm base" method, you could cut plasticard into 32mm discs, then mount the old minis on those discs. That will give a slight height increase (ideally you'll use the same thickness of plasticard for all of these discs).

My friend picked up a load of these. It's what I used on my normal marines for etl, a slight height increase (maybe 1mm) but fit together well enough with a bit of textured basting to not really show. You could probably hide the seams in the side of the base with liquid greenstuff if you really want too.

https://ttadapters.com

Im actually breaking them off the old bases, which is kind of okay because I’m re-doing my basing style anyways at the moment. Of course, since I haven’t seen any new 32mm slotted bases, a lot of the old characters need some extra effort to fit those. The rings are probably the best-looking method for getting the legends up to date.

I went for putting 25s on top of 32s and then blending the two together. Partly because it was simple to get a bunch of 32mm bases but also because the older Marine kits are so short that the extra height increase puts them more or less in line with the newer pre-Primaris kits. I use milliput to quickly mold a filler to smoothen out the gap between the two bases as such:

anPazKN.jpg

pacgkbL.jpg

I do the same for the old Terminator models too, putting their 25mm bases on top of a 40mm base.

Edited by Thoridon

I think that you’re best off removing them from the old bases and giving them new ones. That’s what I’ve done and it’s not too difficult. If you’re going to have to get out basing stuff to go round the edges you may as well start from scratch and do the whole thing.

I actually rebased my 30k guys before it bacame mandatory. I took the opportunity to stick them on the sector Imperialis bases and I think they look a lot better than they did on 25s.

Edited by Mandragola

Of course, since I haven’t seen any new 32mm slotted bases, a lot of the old characters need some extra effort to fit those.

32mm slottabases are a thing; Blood Bowl uses them and I got some in a set of Dark Eldar Scourges not so long ago as well.

Edited by Halandaar

Same as Thoridon, glued the 25mm base on top of a 32mm one, fill the gap with green stuff and paint. It allows to "upscale" old characters that now come across as rather short,

http://reho.st/self/7f2da01e6469a0fe4dd02e38a6febe4ef8cbe350.jpg - gallery_83433_11463_10827.jpg

Alternatively, you can leave the first base visible and just decorate it. My Emperor's Champion gets a new skull for every enemy character he defeats, I made this a few years back, I'm now running out of space

http://reho.st/self/3704b9a25e8c5dde218720a52f1a69fbc0be788d.jpg