Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1750 Competitive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
trying to settle on a 1750 final painting list to work towards.
Just having a hard time working out the final points for the force, feed back and alternative thoughts are all welcome.
No model option is off the table.

My main concerns is low cp and model count (always a mainstay of deathwatch forces) and also my ability to score objectives thought the game.
I have decided to write off psychic as a lost cause, without sinking points into librarians I can not really spare the points for and even then we are not the best choice for a psychic force, I prefer to focus on the strengths we do have.

My troops as in the list below will dig in within range of my watch master (6+ doesn't lose final wound save) range in 2 toughness 5 2+ in cover 25 wound firepower blobs that will either act as an anvil or rush forward into fist range due to the advance and fire at full bs and the Primaris auto bolt rifles.
The Mortis contemptors will take up residence behind this ceramite wall.
The veteran squad will have a homing beacon and be dropping in with the captain, the beacon will be placed for late game tactics depending on the mission or to be back to my zone quickly, the captain can pull one of my big squads over with the beacon if needed.

The assassin is always going to be the vindicare the pick off buff characters like psykers or banner bearers.
We really need access to the new marine snipers.
Really considering some vanguard vets and possibly dropping/ changing the Chaplin dread to save points as the Mortis dreads are doing the same job and I'm still waiting on litanies...

The force is as follows:

List post:

Battalion Detachment:

Watch Master:
Warlord Trait: Watch Eternal
Relic: Tomb of Ectoclades

Captain in Terminaor Armour:
Relic Blade:
Storm Bolter:
Relic: The Beacon Angelis

Primaris Veteran Squad:
5 Intercessors:
5 Auto Bolt Rifles:
4 Aggressors:
4 Twin Boltstorm Gauntlets:
4 Fraglaunchers:
1 Inceptor:
2 Assault Bolters:
Sargent:

Primaris Veteran Squad:
5 Intercessors:
5 Auto Bolt Rifles:
4 Aggressors:
4 Fraglaunchers:
1 Inceptor:
2 Assault Bolters:
Sargent:

Kill Team:
7 Veterans:
7 Storm Bolters:
7 Storm Shields:
Sargent:
Terminator:
Teleport Homer:
Power Sword:
Storm Bolter:
Vanguard Veteran:
Veteran Biker:
Twin Boltgun:

Possible Detachment?:

Mortis Pattern Contemptor:
2 Twin Lascannons:

Mortis Pattern Contemptor:
2 Twin Lascannons:

Chaplin Dread:
Twin Lascannon
Storm Bolter

Auxiliary Detachment:

Vindicare Assassin:

Total: 1650

Edited by Duke Danse Macabre, 08 September 2019 - 02:58 AM.

"In all my years of Study and Contemplation on the Imperial Truth, as close as I can figure out, it has something to do with Being on Fire."

Direct Quote from Chief Scribe Sweideger Steiger, Shortly before being burned to death by Sister Superior Larisa for Crimes of Heresy

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts

I'm with you on the eternal watch warlord trait. I use that regularly. It's not the most amazing thing ever but I try to focus on all the things that could benefit/keep my kill teams alive.

I'm also with you on the CP worry. I have been theory crafting A LOT of 1750 lists lately for some tournaments and I just can't seem to pull of 2 battalions comfortably, without sacrificing anti-vehicle or troop protection (transport, termies, etc.).

I would definitely agree with dropping the chaplain dread since you have 2 contemptors. Put those points into more troop choices (or an apothecary if staying troop focused). Add the vindicare as an auxiliary support detachment since you know you want to bring him over the other assassins. The teleport homer can't be taken by a terminator but your biker in the Vet kill team could take one. I would even consider removing the biker and add a Frag Cannon in the squad.

Consider a cheap intercessor squad so you can baby sit one or both of your contemptor dreads. You always have the option to pop honor the ancient if you want to reroll 1's for the nearby units. Locking them up in close combat would be devastating to your anti-vehicle abilities.

Another thought is power fists or hammers to units... maybe not spam them but they can definitely help in a pinch. The intercessor unit is covered but you could give the Vanguard vet or a regular vet (Sgt?) a powerfist or hammer, depending on points.

With not a lot of units on the board, it's going to be hard to just sit around for objectives. You're always going to have to be pushing and killing.

• Duke Danse Macabre likes this

Deathwatch | Imperial Fist | Imperial Knights | Skitarii | Inquisition

Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts

I'm with you on the eternal watch warlord trait. I use that regularly. It's not the most amazing thing ever but I try to focus on all the things that could benefit/keep my kill teams alive.

I'm also with you on the CP worry. I have been theory crafting A LOT of 1750 lists lately for some tournaments and I just can't seem to pull of 2 battalions comfortably, without sacrificing anti-vehicle or troop protection (transport, termies, etc.).

I would definitely agree with dropping the chaplain dread since you have 2 contemptors. Put those points into more troop choices (or an apothecary if staying troop focused). Add the vindicare as an auxiliary support detachment since you know you want to bring him over the other assassins. The teleport homer can't be taken by a terminator but your biker in the Vet kill team could take one. I would even consider removing the biker and add a Frag Cannon in the squad.

Consider a cheap intercessor squad so you can baby sit one or both of your contemptor dreads. You always have the option to pop honor the ancient if you want to reroll 1's for the nearby units. Locking them up in close combat would be devastating to your anti-vehicle abilities.

Another thought is power fists or hammers to units... maybe not spam them but they can definitely help in a pinch. The intercessor unit is covered but you could give the Vanguard vet or a regular vet (Sgt?) a powerfist or hammer, depending on points.

With not a lot of units on the board, it's going to be hard to just sit around for objectives. You're always going to have to be pushing and killing.

The eternal watch I feel can really add an element of frustration for opponents shrugging off multi wound attacks and forcing them to overcompensate on a single target which I really need being so light on the ground.
Lord of hidden knowledge is good but it's a free Reroll and a chance to regen command points, it's good but I don't have enough cp to get its full value.
Nowhere to hide is also great on Agressors but 4 normally put out on average 76 shots, with multi units and rerolls it feels a little overkill.

I'm having the exact same issue either limmiting myself on anti tank and struggling against knights and any heavy armour list, can still eek out the win but it's a clear issue I need to solve, I find by cutting the assassin I do have more options but it mean I have to limit my troops to vets which I love much more but Corvus just don't cut it as anti tank hitting on 4's and Razorbacks are not great, if we had the option to jump out after moving it would really open the doors for us.
With the new supplements however it's a case of cheap starts to make their units as good as veterans special issue ammo, better rerolls, not just fo using on 1 type to Reroll against having easy access to bubble rerolls for wounds, better buff characters, better in your face options (looking at you invictus war suit), all that is a little painful but it does mean our razorback rush lists would be less reliable and not as powerful at the fast paced role we are meant to have.
I don't want to end up hemmed into smart playing a weaker list from the offset when I just want to find a way to make us able to compete.
Storm shield vets are good but I'm a little lacking in the correct shields atm, I don't like using the other variants, little odd on this one to have them match and they just look better, reminds me of the heresy slap shields.

In regards to the contemptors I'm still not sold.
Issue is they are a heavy support choice and bog down if in combat so I'm still toying with ven dreads, they could still fight in combat and take a twin Lascannon, issue is then I'm dropping from a 5+ invun with 10 wounds to a 6+ ignores damage on 8 wounds but will be more multi role.
I think this is important for DW as we have so little we need it all to do twice the work.
Now this means I would save 36 points and have 2 elites I also have 4 less Lascannon shots which leads me back to the Chaplin dread, he could be cheaper if combat only but 2 more untargetable Lascannons would help.
This also opens up another option which I see allot of merit in, the Scorpius whirlwind. Loaded without storm Bolter and main weapons it clocks in at 215 points, if remaining station army it can fire twice and not needing line of sight and a long range makes it a threat which will push people to attack me driving me to a more defensive role in advance of a counterpunch.
Apothecary is a valid option, only issue I have is its a 4+ to raise a model, if a 2+ or could do multiple times then I would be interested but as it is it just has me missing 5+ fnp.

The combat options of the odd fist and weapon to make people think is valid, I already have swords on my sargents in their Intercessor squads, I'm aware fists for the 5 point difference are better, I just like the swords on those models so that's what I've modelled.
I do have 20 vanguard floating around with every option under the sun however that could come in useful.
About 3 years before the DW codex first dropped I decided I would do a full DW army based on the marine dex and edit accordingly so I still have thunderfire cannons, grav centurions and every heavy weapon painted up, just a shame they have been gathering so much dust of late.

In your honest opinion do you think it's best to even consider anti armour at range and instead really go assault heavy?
Yes SS vets can fight in combat really but the Primaris squads with 4 aggressors each can, I have 3 ten man squads of them in the same load out, advancing and firing will panic allot of people and 3 units in your face with good saves, toughness 5, 25 wounds per squad plus ignoring final wounds on 6's combines with starts for +1 to wound can be very handy, even more so if a Chaplin dread joins in as they will give +1 to wound in combat to friendly units in the same combat, could even wound knights on 2's.

"In all my years of Study and Contemplation on the Imperial Truth, as close as I can figure out, it has something to do with Being on Fire."

Direct Quote from Chief Scribe Sweideger Steiger, Shortly before being burned to death by Sister Superior Larisa for Crimes of Heresy

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts

Good to know your thought process, helps to figure out what options are best for your style.

Razorback spam isn't all bad, you usually have to end up changing how you run vets to make it work. A couple of razorbacks with lascannons and 1-2 ven dreads would be adequate anti-armor, plus or minus some plasma/melta in some of the squads. A smash captain supporting that tends to go a long way as well.

The apothecary will benefit the 1 wound marines the best (IMO) because you could clutch revive a termie or a vet with a storm shield, which makes it a pain in the but for your opponent. In an all or mostly primaris list, probably not much benefit other then elite taxes for relics.

Which leads back to the contemptor.... you can take it as a relic contemptor, giving you one shooty weapon of whatever you want and a DCCW. Dude, it is fast... 9" move with no degrade to speed when bracketed. You can run 2 claws/chainfists with storm bolters, or run the typical 1 claw and shooty weapon. Lascannons, autocannons or assault cannons are the best go-to's. I get the mortis contemptor / close combat issue but it really is the cheapest platform for 2 guns and having an invul save. The relic version can be taken with 2 guns and gives you the additional FNP save. I only run 1 in my armies but it makes such a difference.

In your honest opinion do you think it's best to even consider anti armour at range and instead really go assault heavy?
Yes SS vets can fight in combat really but the Primaris squads with 4 aggressors each can, I have 3 ten man squads of them in the same load out, advancing and firing will panic allot of people and 3 units in your face with good saves, toughness 5, 25 wounds per squad plus ignoring final wounds on 6's combines with starts for +1 to wound can be very handy, even more so if a Chaplin dread joins in as they will give +1 to wound in combat to friendly units in the same combat, could even wound knights on 2's.

I would say as long as you don't try to pick a campy list, you're good. We do really well at killing. If we aren't killing and pushing, we're wasting points.... which is why the meta has shifted to adding termies into vet squads.

I have played with the idea of all out assault and having the corresponding weapons to support it (frag cannons, melta, etc). It works but you have to go all in if you aren't going to have any range. Now that chaplain dread w/ lascannon would be a great support to that assault list. Or double claw... personal preference at that point. Bikers are really good for assault list.

I actually ran something like this in an all-out-assault kind of list (for perspective):

-Watchmaster

-Smash Captain

-Vet (2 termies, 1 VV, 1 biker... power weapons, SB's, SS's and a frag cannon)

-Vet (2 termies, 1 VV... combi-plasma, SB's, SS's, 2 frag cannons)

-Intercessor (2 aggressors, Auto bolters)

-Intercessor (1 aggressor, stalker bolter)

- Bikers (SB and chainswords)

- Bikers (SB and chainswords)

- Contemptor (lascannons)

Extra points went towards another (standard) intercessor unit, an apothecary, plasma inceptors (or hellblasters in the intercessor unit) or a librarian with jump pack. Always babysit a contemptor with an intercessor unit. It's been so clutch in both protecting charges and getting some auspex scans in as they deep strike.

Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
I may have to break out my combi Melta marines if it comes to relying on Razorbacks again.
That said I can't afford all my anti tank to be 2 Razorbacks and a few combi meltas, they could work in other lists but not when I can't afford any additional support for them.
On their own they are not enough.

You have a good point on the apothecary, just sadly I feel veterans need a box or to be able to teleport in, paying for him to deep strike is a waste and annoyingly he doesn't really have any transport options but I do agree there is a use for him, I just wish he could do more or be more flexible.

The contemptors are likely going to be the best choice, I just feel that I am either going to have to give up on the second battalion in order to make the best choice.
Mortis are good for their points, no arguement, regular ven dreads to be honest are good but too close a point gap between them, if 120 range there would b e no arguements.
Also not 100% they can take Lascannons as an option.
Having the option to shoot and fight is great, just going to struggle on points to try and maximise the firepower I'm amble to bring to bear.
Personally I prefer the redemptors over contemptors, problem is their anti armour option is terrible, it can deal with heavy infantry fine but I can't do didly to that knight.

Think you may be right about baby sitting the dreads if going Mortis.
I'm considering honestly dropping the Chaplin and taking two Mortis with twin las and a leviathan with double drill, maybe a different leviathan option, a single Mortis and a squad to baby sit.
Could deep strike the leviathan or deploy, gives me something big a scared but I wish we had that half damage strat.

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts

With regards to the combi-melta, don't forget you can at beacon angelis a unit as well. If you decide to build out a, for example, a combi-melta/frag cannon unit with a couple termies and a vanguard veteran, you can use a smash captain's fast movement first turn to move them across the battlefield. That's why I used the bikers in my list... smash captain plus 2 units of bikers, and beacon one of my bigger kill teams. In your case, it could be more of a turn 2 push if the termie get the beacon. Deep strike the termie captain with a melta unit, plus beacon another unit for support. The latter option gives you more flexibility for the unit composition since they will basically be protected in the teleportarium.

The contemptors are likely going to be the best choice, I just feel that I am either going to have to give up on the second battalion in order to make the best choice.

THIS EVERYTIME. I'm with you! I would love to have a double battalion every chance I get but I always sacrifice the CPs for the better units. And my primary reasoning is what you're getting after... I want to protect my marines by either spending points for transport or bringing distractions.

Lascannons are an option for mortis dreads, mortis contemptor dreads, venerable dreads and relic contemptor dreads. The mortis' versions simply have to take 2 of the same.

The spearhead is a pretty solid idea IMO.

• Duke Danse Macabre likes this

Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
Terminator captain is always going to be my beacon caddy, need the cheap deep strike and rerolls.
I know a smash captain may look better on paper but I need him for teleporting and buffs, ideally not dying to large amounts of zero ap wounds as well, lacking the points to afford him a hammer and shield I feel he is the best choice as a beacon caddy.

I would love to have a captain on bike one day, I do consider them a good option, I'm just having a little issue making them for now.
I really love the deathwatch bike front plate from kill team and long storey short I'm trying to source around 20 so I have it as a legitimate but we'll modelled option, I just think the regular marine bikes look so old and need some work to jazz them up.

It is worth considering loadin out my combi Melta marines again.
I think I need to paint up a few more terminators with swords and give it a dry run, still not wild about frag cannons outside of premium range deep striking though, this is the only time I back Corvus as a valid option these days.

So you think double mortis and leviathan or a mix?
Let's be honest it's not a knight but it's scary when used right.
I'm just need to make up my mind if I want any shooting.
I have one with claw and grav flux but I'm not adverse to buying another if it fits better, it's a really cool model.

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts

As far as your bikes go, I'd suggest this as a starting point: https://www.shapeway...&li=marketplace

I'm working on the double mortis contemptor myself... waiting for the dark angels model to come back in stock. Yes, I think the double contemptors would be a good way to go if you want to maximize an all-out-assault type of list. Sure they hit on 3's when moving, but a contemptor with dual assault cannon or heavy bolter would be an ideal move and support platform. It's also cheaper then many of the other heavy choices, as well as takes care of your relic tax. Or the double lascannon contemptors pretty much takes care of your anti-vehicle needs. Flyers may still cause some problems so you'll need weight of fire.

For the levi dread, I have 2 already and I wish I had one more with different gear. A double melee is not something to discount... 2 meltas, 2 heavy flamers and 2 siege claws will wreck all sorts of vehicles. And sure it's not a knight, but you have reroll and stratagems that can play to your advantage. The generalist approach is the dual storm cannons which supports anti-vehicle needs. It tears infantry (and custodes, primaris) of course with the sheer number of shots. The other good variant IMO is running a grav-flux and storm cannon. It gives a decent mix of both anti-horde and anti-vehicle ability.

Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
I love shapeways, ever since that pop goes the monkey guy made a list of obscure chapter pads based off the symbols I managed to find it's been easy getting nearly all deathwatch bits from that sight.
Still struggle to find terminator pads though and freehand is so time consuming.

Problem is with double Mortis contemptors I'm saying yes to the combat twin drill leviathan.
I don't feel I need more strength 5 tbh, if that was the case I have a pair of onslaught Gatling cannon redemptors, I love them but I find myself struggling against armour still and they die fast, it's a shame but without a bubble invun they just don't have the survivability.

I see the appeal of the storm cannon leviathan, I look at it the same way I used to a telemon but I knowingly went with rule of Cool grav and claw, I know not the best choice.
As it stands I can justify buying another for the combat variant as it will see more play.
As I already intend to get more Mortis dreads already for anti armour and I feel Lascannons are more anti armour than the storm cannon array as the latter does best against everything below knight levels nd if i was to take one I would still need a Mortis for relic tax as you say.
I hear what you say with Strats as well but I face a issue there.
Running the single battalion only nets me 8cp with my battle forged bonus, I'm paying to deep strike 2 units, pay a cp for assassin auxiliary and 1 for the beacon for my deep striking captain.
I only have 4 cp remaining so I'm not sure in I can afford the buff starts more than one which may even be saved for something like auspex scan, rerolls, honour your brothers and possible Xenos Strats but I'm going to have to spend them like Scrooge.

The assassin feels key, I wish I could find the points for another HQ to make another detachment but I can't see a cheaper heavy support option really as a token, not even sure what the min cost of a rapier battery is and the HQ would likely need to be a librarian but I think that's a lost cause, he's not going to dominate by himself and if going null zone I really want to be paying for a jump pack.
Failing that a Chaplin is good but you know our issues here.
Do you think it's worth dropping the assassin or not?
Dropping him would refund a cp and gain me an additional but still then I lose all ability to generate cp from the vindicare and does the character really add anything past that extra cp?

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts

Assassins are nice fillers, especially when you want to bring a battalion because you don't have to spend as many points on HQs. Are they REQUIRED to play well in a tournament? No. It really just depends how you use them. The vindicare is probably the easiest to use with lowest impact to strategy, but the other 3 can have high impact and requires a little bit more thought before playing.

Because of how I build my core kill teams of vets, I end up using regular intercessor units to get more troops/bodies on the table. That's approximately the cost of an assassin. I would say it depends if you feel you have enough bodies on the board to handle objectives.

I would go with yes, drop him.

Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
I really enjoy running vindicates and Calidus but I think your right.
I can't really afford his cp cost.
Bodies wise I feel good, yes only 3 troop choices but it is 30 marines totalling 62 wounds.

So double Mortis with twin lascannon's and a combat leviathan it is.
Just need to work in my HQ choice, if I'm lucky by the time I'm done painting the dreads ours chaplains will be good. ;)

Going to play around with a couple last options then post up the perspective list.
  • Mobius0288 likes this

Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
Ok so the reworked list is as follows, I'm not in love with the librarian but can't think of a better use for the points without an assassin I rather not pay a cp cost for.

Pure DW, 2 detachments, battalion and vanguard.
The captain, the vets and leviathan are all in deepstrike 90% of the time.
Beacon is on the captain, tomb on watch master and have 1 teleport homer in play, hopefully my deep striking and teleporting will make up for my lack of transports.

Battalion Detachment:

Watch Master:
Warlord Trait: Watch Eternal
Relic: Tomb of Ectoclades

Captain in Terminaor Armour:
Relic Blade:
Storm Bolter:
Relic: The Beacon Angelis

Primaris Veteran Squad:
5 Intercessors:
5 Auto Bolt Rifles:
4 Aggressors:
4 Fraglaunchers:
1 Inceptor:
2 Assault Bolters:
Sargent:

Primaris Veteran Squad:
5 Intercessors:
5 Auto Bolt Rifles:
4 Aggressors:
4 Fraglaunchers:
1 Inceptor:
2 Assault Bolters:
Sargent:

Kill Team:
7 Veterans:
7 Storm Bolters:
7 Storm Shields
Sargent:
Terminator:
Teleport Homer:
Power Sword:
Storm Bolter:
Vanguard Veteran:
Veteran Biker:
Twin Boltgun:

Vanguard Detachemnt:

Mortis Pattern Contemptor: 88 : 168 = 1205
2 Twin Lascannons: 80

Mortis Pattern Contemptor: 88 : 168 = 1373
2 Twin Lascannons: 80

Leviathan: 175 : 281 = 1654
2 Siege Drills: 50
2 Heavy Flamers: 28
2 Melta Guns: 28

Librarian: 88 : 96 = 1750
Force Sword: 8
Bolt Postol: 0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users