How do you make Slamguinius work?

ixzion

Like so many things, you have to look at the circumstances. Is your goal to slip past the screens to get at the big scary thing? Then don’t declare charges against multiple other units so you can re-roll that charge. Is your goal to turn off Overwatch for follow-on units? Then declare against “all eligible targets.”

Don’t forget you can also command re-roll a charge dice if you roll a 6 when you need an 8 etc... just play smart.

Thanks brothers, this is really helpful! I have a game on Friday night, I will definitely be trying out some of this.

Both times that I have used the captain I have been lucky enough to go first, but what do should I do if I go second? Should I Upon Wing of Fire him instead then or what is a good play?

A mistake i noticed myself was taking Angel's Wing too often. I more often than not take the hammer that hits on 2s unless vs Tau or something similar. (note that it does not stack with dmg 4, the hammer)

I have been thinking about that as well, but if you fail a charge then the extra damage won’t do you any good. On the other hand I guess you can always use a command point to reroll one of the dice.

Both times that I have used the captain I have been lucky enough to go first, but what do should I do if I go second? Should I Upon Wing of Fire him instead then or what is a good play?

That is normally the way I play it. Some CC armies will even come to you meaning Smash can just make a normal move. This is uncommon against experienced players but some lists depend on hurling everything at the enemy so they may decide to just take the hit and hope they can drag smash down before he does too much damage.

Occasionally I actually keep Smash back and use him as a normal buff Captain for a turn or two. This tends to happen if my opponent has everything screened and I need some time to clear chaff or wait for them to break out of their DZ.

Just because he can function as a nuclear heat-seeker, doesn't mean that you have to use him this way at the earliest opportunity in every game. :wink:

I was today years old when I learned Gift of Foresight allowed you to reroll 1s for the FNP....

The +1D is so popular it’s easy to forget there’s other options.

Yes, I often take Gift of Foresight against shooty armies where I am confident I can delete stuff in close combat but need an edge to survive the hail of firepower that he tends to attract afterwards.

Edited by Karhedron

Only played 3 games but since its a store 'tale of x gamers' campaign im stuck with the config which ive picked for the first battle. So thats angel's wings and gift of forsight WT.

Anyway.... What ive found is that either smashy kills something on the charge (or leaves it on very low wounds) and I die to the attacks that I get back (because I cant roll a single bloody 3++ :down:) OOORRRRR he doesent get to hit first and gets deleted instead (look at the 'fail to pass a single 3++ save for the reason why) so hes very hit and miss... That said, not having to many troubles getting him in combat. Mobility is good and that reroll is VERY good. Only reason id see myself giving it up would be if I got a reroll to charge from someplace else. Like maybe Lemartes nearby or somesuch.

But how do make him survive longer? Hes got a 3+, a 3++ and a 5+FNP rerolling ones. And I cant seem to survive a single round of combat :huh.: or am I just really bloody unlucky?

But how do make him survive longer? Hes got a 3+, a 3++ and a 5+FNP rerolling ones. And I cant seem to survive a single round of combat :huh.: or am I just really bloody unlucky?

It does sound like you need some new dice. :wink:

If Smash dies, remember to trigger "Only in Death does duty end" to try and take something down with him.

Yeah im loving that strategem and its so far contributed to about 50% of the things that hes dragged down. ^_^ Because of the Tale of X im very low on CP's though but its well worth the last ditch damage that he can throw out :)

I had my game yesterday and while I lost I did much better than before. I was facing Admech led by Celestine with allied knights including two armigers and a castellan.

I went second but decided to sprint my captain up the board anyway as I had scouts behind LOS blocking terrain so he couldn't be targeted. In my first turn I smashed an armiger to pieces and then charged the castellan. The castellan stomped my captain, but I used the stratagem that allowed me to fight even after death. I did a total of 20 wounds to the castellan, and while that was not enough to kill him I managed to swoop in with the rest of my army and take out the remaining wounds over the next two rounds.

Thanks for all the advice :thumbsup:  I look forward to my next game to see other ways I can utilise him.