Psychic Awakening and the Necrons

NTaW

At first it was just hopeful wishlisting but it looks to me like Necrons may be featured in the first book released. I was checking out the new site GW set up and right away I noticed some interesting territorial delineations. Screenshot by me:

48693091177_8ec53c3195_c.jpg

*taps totally human finger on lower face assembly and flips to pgs. 14-15 in Codex

48693113242_43e4fdec8d_z.jpg48692940621_1e18e899b4_z.jpg

Without a doubt in my mind those are the Sautekh, Arrynmarok, Nihilakh, and Mephrit Dynasty territories. I guess we'll find out more starting on Monday but I'm excited.

Looking closer at the map in the book I noticed the YMGA Monolith, which I always thought was just a thing carried forth from yesteryear, has current activities already written about in The Gathering Storm series in the post-rift galaxy timeline. There really isn't a ton to read that I've yet found, here are links to lexicanum articles for both the Monolith and the Cerberax Wars.

YMGA Monolith

Cerberax Wars

Anyone care to speculate on how an allied Imperial and Eldar force might interact with the largest and most coherent Necron Empire currently awoken?

At this point I can only speculate. But I really hope we get Pariahs back. Preferably with a few loadouts or roles (a Pariah character, Pariah gunners and Pariah close combat options). That would be a dream come true for me and it would fit the theme.

Beyond Pariahs I dont see what they would do that really fits the psychic theme. Maybe something for C'tan shards. If the psychic awakening event is just an excuse to add models I'd love an updated warrior kit, new Flayed Ones and a proper Knight type model (not like the Seraptek, but like an 8" Immortal with options like Knights have). I'd buy a bunch of any of those.

If you mean from a purely fluff point of view I don't imagine we will get a good showing. We will be the challenge that some other faction overcomes to look heroic.

Edited by Tyriks

Well, Trazyn “assisted” the Cadians in the Gathering Storm and has Creed and possibly a Primarch in his collection.

We hate eldar and could come out against them.

Deep dives on the Psychic Awakening website has revealed Bhaal as a possible conflict location. We’ve got a nice love/hate relationship with the Blood Angels that could be rekindled. BA/Necrons vs Tyranids or Daemons?

Pariahs coming back would be cool. The forgebane box pushed a narrative that our vehicles, or at least monoliths, were made of blackstone. Blackstone can have negative effects on psykers and psychic powers, so we could see new rules reflecting blackstone. I think that would be cool, because I was really let down when the codex dropped after the box set and we found no mention of Blackstone at all.

Super optimistic predictions: the Silent King returns. The psychic awakening yields lots of doom and he needs to return to lead the Necrons once more. New Silent King model, who’s primarch in power level, and host of new models based on his retinue.

And hopefully the guy who sculpted them is whoever did these new bone guys in AoS because those are freaking amazing.

As far as models go, the two Dynasties that have finecast characters are represented on the map. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some new characters as a result of any involvement in this series. The two unaligned models are also active in the Sautekh and Mephrit Dynasty regions as well. Getting Pariahs back would be grand, getting rules that enhance currently produced models is more expected; I would absolutely love a general null-zone around vehicles as if the noctilith used in their creation has been tuned against the warp.

Imotekh is actively battling Khorne Daemons across all sorts of planets throughout the Sautekh Dynasty and has direct bad blood with Helbrecht, who sent the guy's flagship on a direct collision course with a star. Since we saw both Adepta Sororitas and Black Templar ships accompanying the Inquisitor on their way to meet the Eldar marked on the map I could imagine that the Necrons would be the big bads to overcome. I definitely don't see an alliance between Eldar and Necrons in any instance. Perhaps the Eldar/Imperial allies have to get around the Necron/Daemon conflict to try and achieve their goals.

I've been trying to find more information on this YMGA Monolith or the Cerberax Wars via the cited sources and I'm coming up empty handed.

I actually think with Blackstone being around an alliance with Eldar is more likely than ever before (not to say it is likely, just getting more likely). Eldar don't want warpstorms all over the galaxy and have the foresight to see we might actually get that in check, even if we are the Ancient Enemy. An alliance, if it happened, also could easily fall apart after awhile and thus not upset the status quo any.

A Silent King model would be awesome. Especially if he has Primarch-like stats and can be included in any Necron army. My Dynasty fluff wouldn't work super well with the actual Silent King but I could modify him a bit and run him as my Phaeron (who is terrified that there is an unbroken C'tan hunting him, so he would have souped up his body as much as possible to protect himself).

Love to see pariahs come back, didnt invest in them "back then" because they didnt have WBB and made the rest of my army phase out more early.

Hopefully they'll have a zone of 12-18 inches in wich they can "deny the witch" or something. I dont need psychic skills in my turn, I just want to deny my opponents theirs :). Or have a shot at that. If only that, that'd be okay with me. I'd buy me some pariahs then, just keep the sculpt but make it plastic (or metal, fine by me :D).

Honestly.

The only territories marked on the map are Necron and Tau with the Eldar rune tucked away. Seems like the non-psychic races may be up first in this somehow, though represented in what way we can only guess.

Honestly.

The only territories marked on the map are Necron and Tau with the Eldar rune tucked away. Seems like the non-psychic races may be up first in this somehow, though represented in what way we can only guess.

Knowing the Eldar the poncy little knife ears are probaly trying to play puppet master again.

Honestly.

Knowing the Eldar the poncy little knife ears are probaly trying to play puppet master again.

As always right? It's a trope for sure and it would be nice to see something different for the Eldar but I doubt it. Much like I doubt we'll see Necrons portrayed anywhere but on a spectrum from woefully arrogant to completely insane, with stops of "before your race grew legs to walk we ruled the stars" interspersed throughout.

The writing for 40k has gotten better though I think. The new novels I'm reading are solid works and the campaign books have definitely gotten better. We get more news on Monday and I sure hope it has a bit more meat to it than the almost non-information we've been receiving.

If Necron vehicles are indeed made with noctilith then it should merely take a Cryptek "tuning" the substance to emit a null zone. It could follow that the larger the vehicle the larger the null zone it would create.

I'm looking at you, Monoliths.

• 1 month later...

I've perused the Phoenix Rising book and am impressed by the amount of new rules included. Craftworlds got Aspect Shrine and faction rules with a psychic discipline, Dark Eldar just got Obsession (faction) rules, and Ynnari got a full spread of army rules. I would say there will be a minimum of expanded faction rules for Necrons, maybe accompanied by technosorceries for Crypteks and/or varied C'Tan powers.

Something I noticed is faction rules that only interact with VEHICLE models. This could potentially be how we see new rules representing noctilith null fields added to vehicles (or any other unit really).

I honestly don't expect to get as much as Aeldari got. The Eldar have always been, to some extent, a designer darling. That said, whatever we do get will be a nice bonus. I think we are due some new models (it's been, what, 3 models in 7 or 8 years?) but we will have to wait and see.

I agree we won't see even close to the amount of stuff Craftworlds got. I'm sort of banking on the Dark Eldar section getting only faction (obsession) rules being the minimum offering of these books. Model-wise I doubt it will have anything to offer but I would love to be surprised*.

*with Pariahs :lol:

They did say they want to give a little extra love to factions that are struggling, which I think should basically be the subtitle of our codex right now, so maybe we will get more. But until I see it I am not putting any eggs in that basket!