Runic Awakening: Speculation

Dark Shepherd

Well our super doctrine is certainly underwhelming, which to me means allying with other marines may be the best option from a purely competitive side. Tga6t said I'm gunna wait and see about the whole package before I pass too much judgement. And I imagine all the you tube reviews will be out this weekend so not to long a wait.

Plus Canis will be fun.

Call of the Wild on on Canis will be fun, nearby Wolf Priest with Wulfen Stone and Canis can easily have 18 attacks nearly all hitting. He needs Saga of the Wolf Kin too

Speaking of warlord traits...one generic strat we should get is 1cp for a second character to get a warlord trait.

Wolflord: 9 inch rr 1s to hit, let Priests chant something other than Litany of Hate

Big one: saga of majesty on Njal/rune Priest, cloaked by the storm strat = 9 inch aura of minus one to hit. That helps get into combat

The opposite goes for 6's, they auto-hit even if the enemy has a modifier.

6's to hit do not auto-hit. You can give a unit -1 to hit and after modifiers they become 5's which could be a miss. That is, unless you are Orks where 6's always hit as part of their rules. Same goes with 6's to wound, Eldar have a power that gives -1 to wound rolls so even if you get the 6's after modifiers they become 5's and would not wound.

Big one: saga of majesty on Njal/rune Priest, cloaked by the storm strat = 9 inch aura of minus one to hit. That helps get into combat

Saga of Majesty only affects things on their datasheet. It specifically says it doesn't affect psychic powers of relic ranges IIRC.

Iam with Bluescope... Still nothing of note... Gw for some reason believes that wolves getting advance and charge or additional charge dice strat or any other way to get to cc fast and reliable will break the game when most armies dish out a stupid amount of shooting that will wipe an elite melee army like wolves in 2-3 turns no matter the inv saves (2-3 turns is the amount of turns we currently need to get to cc )... Also not previewing warlord traits like with the other chapters has me thinking we will get less than other chapters... I hope I am wrong and they haven't previewed the real gems in the book...

I agree I am hoping to see some good things to get to assault in this book. But we can already give our key units advance and charge with Saga of the Hunter. If you position smart you can get a good bulk of your army advancing and charging. Especially with all the deepstrike screens that exist you can usually pop the saga turn one.

By my calculation blood angels got 16 generic strats plus one for successors and and 6 specific. Dark angels got 14 generic plus one for successors and 7 specific. We are 24 strats (confirmed via warcom). So if we are getting the 16 generic like the BA plus 1 for successors plus the 3 already revealed leaves us with 4 strats to go... :p

PS : Advance and charge with saga of the hunter as a mechanic to give it to other units is super bad because it takes effect the following turn which will probably get your HQ killed (to pull of that charge) and you already lost a valuable turn of advancing and no charging. They must make the effect to be active right after the deed is done and make some deeds easier. The mechanic of sagas as it is, failed miserably

Edited by lonewolf81

We don't have any successors outside of the one mentioned Primaris Chapter. So I don't see us getting a strat for successors unless they really want to muck up the fluff. So I'm hoping that means we are looking at 5 strats we haven't seen. Edited by The Saint Ragnar

Blood angels got the hammer of wrath and the masterful marksmanship which dark angels didn't get... If they loose those and the successors one then we are looking at few more specific strats.

I have a feeling they will rework the deeds/mechsnic of our current warlord traits and put them in this book... If there were any new they must have previewed at least 1

Edited by lonewolf81

Oof if they took the reroll hits away into a litany that’s a straight nerf to the way a lot of people used wulfen...

We don't have any successors outside of the one mentioned Primaris Chapter. So I don't see us getting a strat for successors unless they really want to muck up the fluff. So I'm hoping that means we are looking at 5 strats we haven't seen.

To that end I was really hoping for some progress lorewise. Having some successor structure would go a long way for me to get on the primaris train. Preview didn’t really touch anything like that though.

Edited by PeteySödes

I think we are getting a buff and not a nerf. If you used wulfen and the wolf priest in a transport or in reserves then its a nerf but in the first occasion you have lots of eggs in one basket and in the second if you fail the 9'' charge (which will happen most of the time) you have 300+ points sitting ducks... Now you have the +2 to charge and +3 to consolidate litany which is better than the reroll hits in my opinion because makes that charge a lot easier/ almost guaranteed and helps all nearby units cause its an aura...thanks to the jumpack and maybe saga of the hunter the wolf priest can always be in position by turn two when wulfen arrive... Edited by lonewolf81

Ragnar can quite happily solo primarchs now which is great and doesn’t even need the wolf litany to do it. Using the new strats and executioners 6’s generate 3 hits AND an extra attack dice to roll? (Potentially generating another 3 hits) 4’s generate 2 hits and an extra attack and 3’s an extra attack.

Then seeking a saga to reroll failed wounds... poor Magnus isn’t going to have a chance

Intrigued by this. Lets run some numbers for average results. We play Executioners, Touch of the Wild and Seeking a Saga. 3CPs is not much considering Blood Angels frequently pump that many into Captain Smash.

10 attacks, hitting on 2s and rerolling 1s. Lets assume a little bit of good luck and all 10 hit.

6s generate 3 hits and 1 extra attack, average 2 of those so 6 hits and +2A

4-5s generate 2 hits and 1 extra attack, average of 4 of those so 8 hits and +4A

3s generate 1 extra attack so 2 hits and +2A.

2s give 2 hits.

So we are 18 hits and 8 more attacks which will generate on average 14 extra hits so 32 hits in total.

We wound Magnus on 5s but get full rerolls so on average 18 wounding hits. Frostfang has 2D so 36 wounds. Now Magnus will almost certainly have his 3++ up so we will probably only do 12 wounds. Pretty impressive but we are unlikely to one-shot him so Magnus will likely swing back and squash Ragnar so HOTC or OIDDDE will likely be needed.

However we can easily solo a Knight on the charge (provided we have something to soak the overwatch).

Saga of Majesty only affects things on their datasheet. It specifically says it doesn't affect psychic powers of relic ranges IIRC.

They specifically faq'd it to confirm this combo, it works on strats that give an aura.

Doesnt affect psychic powers but does affect strategems that apply an aura

"Saga of Majesty only affects things on their datasheet. It specifically says it doesn't affect psychic powers of relic ranges IIRC."

But Cloaked by the Storm Strat isn't a psychic power, it's a Strat that you can use if a Psychic power is successfully manifested, so even if it is Denied you can still play the Strat. Saga of Majesty doesn't call out Stats in it's excluded items, so heck yeah, I'm about to start burning that 3 CP.

My first impression seems to be we're getting buffs in CC, and some fun fluffy strats to further buff that....but that isnt going to solve the main issue, which is getting into combat in the first place.

The super doctrine is underwhelming when you need masses of attacks to get the most out of it, but likelihood is you will have lost half your army before making combat.

However saying that my other army is admech and ive had enough good rolls with taser goads to see some benefit (albeit they give you and extra 2 hits)

Still, hopeful that there are some strats or WL trait/Sage tweaks coming to help mobility.

On the plus side though Bjorn + Touch of the Wild = Devastation.

GW: “Here you go Space Wolf players, a really powerful knife that is super sharp and pokey.”

SW players: “CooooOOOOooool. What did everyone else get?”

GW: “Oh, we gave everyone else guns. They’re all on the other side of this big open field. Go have fun!”

SW players: “...”

GW: “Some of them also have sniper rifles.”

GW: “We may have given one guy a nuclear missile.”

GW: “ But look how shiny and staby your knife is! Isn’t it cool!?!? Go have fun!”

I think we are getting a buff and not a nerf. If you used wulfen and the wolf priest in a transport or in reserves then its a nerf but in the first occasion you have lots of eggs in one basket and in the second if you fail the 9'' charge (which will happen most of the time) you have 300+ points sitting ducks... Now you have the +2 to charge and +3 to consolidate litany which is better than the reroll hits in my opinion because makes that charge a lot easier/ almost guaranteed and helps all nearby units cause its an aura...thanks to the jumpack and maybe saga of the hunter the wolf priest can always be in position by turn two when wulfen arrive...

Whoa now. I'm confused. I thought someone else said Wolf Priests still have their give reroll to all misses in combat phases ability?  The ONLY way to play Wulfen is to put them in a Stormwolf with a WP and a RP if the opponent has pyskers. If WP don't give reroll to all misses that is a gigantic nerf to Wulfen. Which, I might add, is still our only uniquely decent unit in our entire codex.

I think we are getting a buff and not a nerf. If you used wulfen and the wolf priest in a transport or in reserves then its a nerf but in the first occasion you have lots of eggs in one basket and in the second if you fail the 9'' charge (which will happen most of the time) you have 300+ points sitting ducks... Now you have the +2 to charge and +3 to consolidate litany which is better than the reroll hits in my opinion because makes that charge a lot easier/ almost guaranteed and helps all nearby units cause its an aura...thanks to the jumpack and maybe saga of the hunter the wolf priest can always be in position by turn two when wulfen arrive...

Whoa now. I'm confused. I thought someone else said Wolf Priests still have their give reroll to all misses in combat phases ability?  The ONLY way to play Wulfen is to put them in a Stormwolf with a WP and a RP if the opponent has pyskers. If WP don't give reroll to all misses that is a gigantic nerf to Wulfen. Which, I might add, is still our only uniquely decent unit in our entire codex.

I would certainly disagree with that being the ONLY way to play them. We had many brothers at LVO that used them to great effect without that particular setup. We'll have to wait and see what some of the other abilities open up for us in terms of options. 

If they stay in line with other Chaplains and Equivalents,  Oath of War could Change to a Prayer that has to inspire  on 3+ before giving you the rerolls. And you have to speak at them Start of the Battleground and have to be disembarked for that. Which makes it a bit of a hassle to time right for your Wulfen and relies on you making the actual role or burn a Cp for a re-role.

Which is what makes Lemartes great with Death Company since he gives them re-roles without Praying in contrast to regular Chaplains

Edited by Oshikai

The opposite goes for 6's, they auto-hit even if the enemy has a modifier.

6's to hit do not auto-hit. You can give a unit -1 to hit and after modifiers they become 5's which could be a miss. That is, unless you are Orks where 6's always hit as part of their rules. Same goes with 6's to wound, Eldar have a power that gives -1 to wound rolls so even if you get the 6's after modifiers they become 5's and would not wound.

Ah you are correct, I thought it always hit, but I have had my nose in Ork information comparing our PA side to their PA side, I must got wires mixed.. 

That's all good, honestly given that our Wolf Priests carry double duty I'd be surprised if we didn't keep the aura. They hold so much of a higher status than a normal Chaplain in our Chapter.

That being said, I feel like maybe only Ulrik will keep it.

That would be my Hope, if they lose it, give Ulrik the Lemartes Treatment.

Edit: Thinking more on it, I am sure that they will change the Aura to a Prayer. With our Rules, People will allready be inclined to re-role as much as possible. We hit great, so people will role 1,2,3s again to get a better Chance on that 4+ or 6+ (depending on which Buffs are Cast allready) for more Hits. Makes Sense that they would want People to work for it.

Edited by Oshikai