Runic Awakening: Speculation

Dark Shepherd

I would love the return of the talisman from 5th that let us deny psychic stuff that targeted the unit. That was a fun piece of wargear.

My pie in the sky wish is a return of russ as an Odinlike, wiser, badass primarch with some decent psyker abilities. Definitely not a werewolf russ. But this is a highly unlikely wish to come true as GW is reluctant to release 40k primarchs.

I think it's around time for another loyalist primarch. I think we're gonna get 3 primarch tier characters in the next 12 months.

Ghaz, angron, Russ, Is my personal hopes.

Agreed on the rune Lord Russ. 1 eye, spear weilding, able to teleport to the spear and teleport the apart spear back to him.

Ever since it was mentioned that Ragnar would meet and get beat up by Ghaz, I can't get the idea out of my head. It really would be a great way to get him Primarisified. In fact I have this whole story going in my head that I would love to see (even though I know it will not happen this way). I'd write up a fiction about it, but it breaks pretty much every rule of fanfiction and I'd probably get crucified if I actually wrote it and uploaded it somewhere...

Anyway, here's how it goes down in my head. Ragnar and Logan end up on a mission together and end up encountering Prime-ork Ghaz. He kicks the crap out of both of them but they hold him off while others escape or something else suitably heroic. Bonus points if the mission is mostly Primaris troops and Logan and Ragnar have a discussion about what to do with these new guys.

Anyway Logan and Ragnar get put under the Rubicon to save them. Logan starts talking like he's not going to make it (possibly because Njal foresaw that he's not) and talks a lot of Ragnar about leadership. Logan dies during the process and Ragnar gets Primarisified and appointed the new Great Wolf. 

I think Ragnar getting his butt kicked would be a great way to tie in with his general character theme of "cocky kid learning to be wise" and make him ready to lead. And if we're going to take the whole "Rubicon is deadly" thing seriously, someone has to die. It's tricky because no one wants their favorite character dying on an operating table. But if you make sure they do something heroic to get them so injured they need the Rubicon, it could be done tastefully. And honestly I think Logan is one of the few big characters who is comfortable enough in his accomplishments to be okay with not dying in battle. If you framed it in a really good story themed around passing the torch, you could have someone die on the table and not have it feel cheap. 

Obligatory Logan dies I riot since it’s becoming my catchphrase I guess. Really though I hate how that keeps getting pitched. Egil died, bloodhowl is gone, our home world is ravaged then Logan is supposed to die and Ragnar gets wailed on?

I’m all for being an underdog but that’s getting ridicules bordering on comical.

Logan probably goes untouched. He has a newer kit. His foot version probably ends up in Warhammer Legends because how the faq looks. Not a fan of that idea.

I hope Logan or someone like Lysander don’t go primaris. Them in terminator armor is iconic. (That being said, Lysander probably crosses the Rubicon in the IF supplement.)

I’m tired of the writers kicking the crap out of the wolves. We could use a fluff win. They want us to buy more kits. Make us feel good about our army. And also give us more kits.

I’m tired of the writers kicking the crap out of the wolves. We could use a fluff win. They want us to buy more kits. Make us feel good about our army.

It's always funny how fans feel feel their chosen group is the most put upon. Let's not cry too much - the Wolves haven't been used by Chaos to break up their own home world or made to run around like Keystone Cops, haven't cried forever about not having unique units, don't have new heads that make everyone go "too emo", or had the Codex taken away completely. And that's just Marine Factions.

At least the Wolves have a glorious history and have beaten the Thousand Sons down several times now - including taking out their planet. Yes, they've been beaten down some too, but never had the fight beat out of them. There's plenty to be proud of for the Wolves.

Logan shouldn't die, but it is time for a Primaris Wolf to have had enough accumulated honor and glory to be a Wolf Lord in his own right. That would complement a Primaris Ragnar well.

I’m tired of the writers kicking the crap out of the wolves. We could use a fluff win. They want us to buy more kits. Make us feel good about our army.

It's always funny how fans feel feel their chosen group is the most put upon. Let's not cry too much - the Wolves haven't been used by Chaos to break up their own home world or made to run around like Keystone Cops, haven't cried forever about not having unique units, don't have new heads that make everyone go "too emo", or had the Codex taken away completely. And that's just Marine Factions.

At least the Wolves have a glorious history and have beaten the Thousand Sons down several times now - including taking out their planet. Yes, they've been beaten down some too, but never had the fight beat out of them. There's plenty to be proud of for the Wolves.

I’m not saying I’m not proud or think our history isn't badass, just that I would personally be pretty upset if they killed my favorite character in service of Primaris. A thing of which I’m just not really into.

I just don’t see why anyone at this point needs to die to show how dangerous it is. They said it was dangerous when Calgar went through it. He DID die during the process.

Now that more have gone through it already killing someone off would be crap treatment.

Edited by PeteySödes

I just don’t see why anyone at this point needs to die to show how dangerous it is. They said it was dangerous when Calgar went through it. He DID die during the process.

Now that more have gone through it already killing someone off would be crap treatment.

I totally agree - at this point we've had enough named characters survive that any named character dying on the table would be a cop out. That's not to say I don't think some characters don't need to die - it's a dangerous universe after all. The Wolves have really already given their share (and they are probably the only ones), but there are a few hundred Chapters that could have a named person or two die in glory or even be interred into a Dread, and have some of the Primaris show that they can step up.

Also, the fluff seems to indicate that with each Marine that crosses the Rubicon, the process can be refined, becoming safer. We may be far past time that a big named character needs to die on the operating table.

I wasn't calling anyone specifically out - the quote was just to illustrate that any faction ends up feeling like they are getting the shaft - you can go to any forum on this board and find people saying very similar things.

hot take: any character with a model shouldn't ever die.

your suspension of disbelief be damned.

Suspension of disbelief has nothing to do with it, and we've had characters with models die.
and when they did, i think they made a bad choice. :) Edited by Wispy

and when they did, it was a bad choice. :)

What objective method are you evaluating it as bad?

As far as good qualities for it, it gave a whole character arc for Tycho, well representing a Blood Angel's life as a Marine. It was a good story - and you can even still use his model.

Just spending $15-35 on a model doesn't automatically qualify death of said character as bad in any objective manner. If it is, then the fact that characters die in books after I've spent money on them means that all those books are bad too - plenty of people get as emotionally invested in book characters as folks do in these two inch or so tall models.