Runic Awakening: Speculation

Dark Shepherd

Yea, I'm saddened to miss out on Duty Eternal in its solid form but i think this is obviously good overall. I also hope to get something different to doctrines but if we do i think the auto cycling is at least a more dynamic style that i find more interesting.

Im still hoping that we don't get doctrines.

But, I went say no to new rules

Why wouldn't you want new rules? we will be brought up to date with the other chapters so the strategems weve missed out on we will get so not NEW rules but new to us

Right before announcing pre-orders of our book we get nerfs on marines like the dread strat ... buxaxaxaxaxa ...golden

These aren't really a ner to anyone except iron hand and imperial fists. if they want to sit on the board corner and stay in devastator doctrine 1) that's boring and 2) wheres the imagination?

Oh dear god... we're getting a "+1 attack while in Devestator Doctrine" rule aren't we!?

Id like this but in the assault doctrine. I think sw will get doctrines but designed around our chapter so not copy and paste

Why wouldn't you want new rules? we will be brought up to date with the other chapters so the strategems weve missed out on we will get so not NEW rules but new to us

Not to speak for him necessarily but this is obviously in reference to the desire to get a separate mechanic to doctrines.

I'd love a way of playing the different Great Companies. Still pining over the loss of Great Company rules since 8th started and the short lived Curse of the Wulfen rules ended. I'd given up hope of this after the codex came out but a Space Marine buddy of mine reminded me how their rules work and made me think it might be a possibility again.

Is this the proper thread for doctrine rule discussion?

We don't miss what we never had to begin with.

I'm glad they changed it...should have been this way from the beginning. 

At this point it is abundantly clear that the rules team is absolutely blind to potential abuse when writing fluff based items as part of rules/stratagems etc. 

They need to consult with power gamers....many of these fixes were no brainers

After the IH tears stop flowing they will still be dangerous as heck.  They have a stratagem that puts a unit into devastator doctrine.  That leviathan will still be mowing people down and reolling hits 

*edit*

I forgot to add the item that did worry me.

in the explanation for raven guard and centurions they said a trick was used to overcome a designed weakness (mobility)

Does this create precedent to nerf all the outflank type stratagems?

We can send aggressors anywhere we want.  Is that on the chopping block?

White scars and successors can make a leviathan outflank...is that on the chopping block?

GW needs to realize their permissive rule writing style leaves massive room for exploitation 

Edited by TiguriusX

Why wouldn't you want new rules? we will be brought up to date with the other chapters so the strategems weve missed out on we will get so not NEW rules but new to us.

I’m 99% sure that “went” was supposed to be “won’t” - as in “But, I won’t say no to new rules.”

Doctrine change largely doesnt affect us I would guess. Overall it benefits assault armies. We will probably get day 1 errata saying we have to cycle through our (unique?) doctrines but thatll be it

Less chance we get anything that allows us to skip ahead or did any other chapter get anything like that?

Been slammed at work. :(

Bryan and Pete are both correct.

As for what I would rather have?

In my wild unrealistic dreams?

Merge grey knights tides with army wide sagas/ ( build your own sagas: a replacement for build your own chapter)

This would be layered ontop of what we already have.

Edited by Triszin

I think combat doctrines as intended (new rules) really fit space wolfs. First turn fangs suppress so the young ones can get into position. Grey hunters grab objectives while the claws try for glory. Then we get in close to finish it.

A movement boost in the tactical doctrine would be perfect.

What I hope to get: stratagems that help us get into combat (move/assault bonus, advance and charge, deep strike danger close, etc); make warlord traits start as an army wide aura, and deed of legend increases the bonus; assault after disembark after moving (even if only as a stratagem); a new model; and lore with epic sagas on both sides of the battle (but I actually hope the Orks come out with a victory and we are left looking for revenge).

What I expect to get: copy-paste space marine rules with errors requiring errata and FAQ; and a humiliating, crushing, defeat on one side of the battle or the other (whether it’s us or them it would be bad either way).

I’m being intentionally pessimistic so that I’m not let down. I don’t think I want anything outrageous, I just don’t trust GW to actually give wolves both fluffy and crunchy rules (it seems like it’s often neither).

Not to speak for him necessarily but this is obviously in reference to the desire to get a separate mechanic to doctrines.

Yeah I see your right and I agree this would be the only satisfying way to do it and reasonable excuse for them not giving us doctrines from the beginning.

Is this the proper thread for doctrine rule discussion?

We don't miss what we never had to begin with.

I'm glad they changed it...should have been this way from the beginning. 

At this point it is abundantly clear that the rules team is absolutely blind to potential abuse when writing fluff based items as part of rules/stratagems etc. 

They need to consult with power gamers....many of these fixes were no brainers

After the IH tears stop flowing they will still be dangerous as heck.  They have a stratagem that puts a unit into devastator doctrine.  That leviathan will still be mowing people down and reolling hits 

*edit*

I forgot to add the item that did worry me.

in the explanation for raven guard and centurions they said a trick was used to overcome a designed weakness (mobility)

Does this create precedent to nerf all the outflank type stratagems?

We can send aggressors anywhere we want.  Is that on the chopping block?

White scars and successors can make a leviathan outflank...is that on the chopping block?

GW needs to realize their permissive rule writing style leaves massive room for exploitation 

Yeah think this is in the right place as our version of doctrines will most likely be released here following on from GK, DA etc. Yeah its definitely a good idea its been changed and I get what they are doing by beta'ing SM before they roll stuff out to all rest.

I think combat doctrines as intended (new rules) really fit space wolfs. First turn fangs suppress so the young ones can get into position. Grey hunters grab objectives while the claws try for glory. Then we get in close to finish it.

A movement boost in the tactical doctrine would be perfect.

!00% one that gives us a +2 to armnour save too like cover save as if we're running at the enemy so fast and ferocious it makes us harder to hit.

What I hope to get: stratagems that help us get into combat (move/assault bonus, advance and charge, deep strike danger close, etc); make warlord traits start as an army wide aura, and deed of legend increases the bonus; assault after disembark after moving (even if only as a stratagem); a new model; and lore with epic sagas on both sides of the battle (but I actually hope the Orks come out with a victory and we are left looking for revenge).

What I expect to get: copy-paste space marine rules with errors requiring errata and FAQ; and a humiliating, crushing, defeat on one side of the battle or the other (whether it’s us or them it would be bad either way).

I’m being intentionally pessimistic so that I’m not let down. I don’t think I want anything outrageous, I just don’t trust GW to actually give wolves both fluffy and crunchy rules (it seems like it’s often neither).

I agree on the hiopeful side, think big Ghz will come on top but Primaris Ragnar will come back from the rubicon for round 2 give ghaz a bloody noes who by no means loses the battle or war but Ragnar gets the better of him but cant finish him off cuz Ghaz has a snaky escape plan and does the cliché laughing at the hero while he flies away and the hero left staring up bodies all around him angry as sin vowing to finish him next time.

mobility is what we need the most ...two strats that would help us a lot in addition to mobility

1.deny enemy fall back,so we can charge enemy gunlines and not get destroyed next turn

2.a strat that makes an inf or cav unit targetable only if its the closest in that way you can deploy recon units(like the phobos) forward

and keep your melee hitters safe for aturn or two ,to get into position

Edited by lonewolf81

mobility is what we need the most ...two strats that would help us a lot in addition to mobility

1.deny enemy fall back,so we can charge enemy gunlines and not get destroyed next turn

2.a strat that makes an inf or cav unit targetable only if its the closest

Itd be pure fluff but Id love a strat that rewards us for not shooting in a turn we charge

Honestly I still don't think that we're going to get doctrines like the Codex Compliant chapters.

Something tells me IF we get a Primarius Ragnar the wolves will make/retrofit special drop pods a la Las Predators and get a small gimmick so Blackmanes can still be nuts for that

Part of the reason I'm not sure we'll see Prima-Ragnar is the part about the drop pods - it's his special fight mode and I think that GW is still struggling to release the main line without bringing much of the Chapter specific flavors out just yet. While a drop pod rules revision wouldn't take much, they really haven't done something quite that big for any of the other Legion-line Chapters, and I don't think we're going to see that change right now in Psychic Awakening.

I honestly think we'll have to wait until the next "Stormcast Vault/Chamber" (or whatever they are called in AoS) to open before we see a new play style incorporated into the Chapters, and if it's the Fast Attack one, then maybe we'll see the return of some jump Pack close combat, the bike, and Speeders (of some kind), and I could totally see GW sneaking a revision to Drop Pods in at that point, making them 10 classic or five-seven Primaris Marines (seven because I want to see a Ragnar in a harness, with double-stacked wolves in another, and then five Primaris Wolf Guard to kick names and take butt... (or something)

If they bring Ragnar out right now, I'm actually a bit worried that it will be like Shrike - basically no one to accompany him in his preferred play style - maybe he'd be on the ground directing Pod-fall, but I doubt it, that doesn't seem to fit his character to me, and it feels like that would be a shame.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and Ragnar will get his own special Drop Pod as a Primaris and continue to lead his classic brethren to the field by metal storm-fall, I could totally live with that. I just don't see GW being that cool and on top of it, I'm expecting anything for the Wolves to be a bland and boring cut'n'paste job that fits poorly...

They can make him the Reiver lord. Drop him when you drop a pod. Per rules it wouldn’t matter if he’s coming with the pod or next to the pod.

Aesthetically I hope they don’t because he’d look better with the big boots.

Anyone else a little disappointed we didn’t get any other reveals this week? All we got was two pages of fluff (AND THE BEST ODIN-DARNED TWO PAGES IT WAS OF PSYCHIC AWAKENING).

I’m expecting the Ork reveals to be first. Brace yourselves kin.

They can make him the Reiver lord. Drop him when you drop a pod. Per rules it wouldn’t matter if he’s coming with the pod or next to the pod.

Anyone else a little disappointed we didn’t get any other reveals this week? All we got was two pages of fluff (AND THE BEST ODIN-DARNED TWO PAGES IT WAS OF PSYCHIC AWAKENING).

I actully enjoyed the doctrine nerf because it helps my current space wolf combined force list.

I've faced enough game long devastator doctrine from IH and IF (the tank hunting bolter spam shredded my knight and dread army)

If they make him a reiver lord wouldn't he need to be exempted from the tactical reserves rule in order to come in with the pods turn 1? Cause that's their thing right?

I would be happy with that solution if thats the route they go.

they released Khan without a bike, they won't even blink about drop Pods.

they released Khan without a bike, they won't even blink about drop Pods.

This

I was shocked when they released Khan without a bike. Like jaw on the floor shocked. I won’t be shocked if the do something equally thoughtless and stupid to Ragnar.

To be Honest, I was never a Fan of that whole Drop Pod Thing and don`t mind them dropping it, it was something that was added later on to that Character and in my Eyes not needed. But thats just me personally. And keep in Mind it has been over a hundred years since we have seen Ragnar the last Time. He could have changed in many ways.

I would prefer him to be in regular MKX Armour over Phobos personally.

Edited by Oshikai