Suppressors - what pack are they?

Vassakov

Hail, brothers. Long has been my absence from the hallowed halls of the Aett, but as the All-Father's work faces it's darkest days, I have returned. (Hopefully there's a Primarch shortly behind me as well...)

Getting back on topic, I've been painting up a fair chunk of the new Primaris kits recently and most of them I've found it fairly easy to adapt my old colour scheme and pack markings into Primaris models (eg. Red/Black for Intercessors, Yellow/Black for Pack Leaders and Dreadnoughts, White/Black for Hellblasters etc...) but one pack has stumped me. Suppressors.

My initial thought was that as they are a Jump Unit and Fast Attack, they'd share markings with Blood Claws similar to Sky Claws, but actually that doesn't really feel right. But neither does White/Black because... well, Suppressors don't feel very Long Fang-esqe. The other option is to go with Wolf Scout markings, but again... there's not much scouty about 3 Autocannons with Jump Packs.

Any thoughts on this? What have others done?

Well primaris fit weirdly into our structure but officially they count as close support in the marine fluff and the close support guys are blood claw or scout depending, I think, on armor. As omnis pattern is lightened upgravis I would say they are closer to inceptors so likely blood claw Mark's. But its definitely a grey area. Personally I'm tempted to do grey hunter for inceptors and suppressors.

The Primaris stuff is causing all types of chaos with the Chapters that have specialized units or companies like us and Dark Angels. Personally I think at least we have a bit of wiggle room in our Great Companies where its plausible that each Wolf Lord could treat/veiw them differently.

I think the GH marks would serve though. Id think that BCs aren't really disciplined to be reliable in a support role like that. Rule of cool though, I'd even consider homebrewing a color combo for the primaris separately.

I'd put them down as Long Fangs, because their role in battle (not the codex) is fire support and suppressing the enemy.  That is more the role of a Long Fang than a blood Claw.

Similary, Aggressors don't strike me as Long Fangs, because they are too jolly in their fighting.  They strike me as Blood Claws because of their joy to fight, or Wolf Guard because Gravis Armor and Power Fists.

But really, do what you think works for your army.  Primaris don't fit well with us, so paint them as you like.

I'd put them down as Long Fangs, because their role in battle (not the codex) is fire support and suppressing the enemy.  That is more the role of a Long Fang than a blood Claw.

Similary, Aggressors don't strike me as Long Fangs, because they are too jolly in their fighting.  They strike me as Blood Claws because of their joy to fight, or Wolf Guard because Gravis Armor and Power Fists.

But really, do what you think works for your army.  Primaris don't fit well with us, so paint them as you like.

I guess my only issue with that is for us I see it less of a role and more of an honor or distinction. Just because you have a big gun doesn't make you wise, etc.

I can very vividly picture the look a LF would make if someone told him to strap on some jump boots.

Edited by PeteySödes

I guess my only issue with that is for us I see it less of a role and more of an honor or distinction. Just because you have a big gun doesn't make you wise, etc.

I can very vividly picture the look a LF would make if someone told him to strap on some jump boots.

I can see that.  But the ability to hang back and chill is not something Blood Claws usually possess.

According to the shadowspear book, all phobos marines in space wolves wear the scout pack markings (Grey and Black). Since suppressors came in the same box as all that stuff, I painted them the same way. I'll bet that they'll eventually be given the fire support tag, like hellblasters, agressors and long fangs. 

I basically follow the following guidelines from the codex.

Vet = yellow and black

Battleline = black and red

Close Support = Yellow and red

Fire Support = White and Black. 

Edited by killersquid

PhobosArmour-Mar5-SWArmour4uceg.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/05/mar-5-shadowspear-focus-vanguard-unitsgw-homepage-post-4/

"The Vanguard of the Space Wolves all bear grey and black pack markings."

They're all hunting behind enemy lines, doing the wolf scout, in wolf scout colours. Settled.

Edited by Wispy

Why not create a new color scheme? Red and white or yellow and white would be the easy route based off of our current color markings, but really and color or color combo not currently employed by the wolves would work.

I guess i just don't feel comfy enough marking them with currently existing pack markings since they aren't, you know curly members of our classic packs. They're something new.

EDIT: And i definitely don't feel comfortable marking them in veteran colours even scouts black and grey.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Why not create a new color scheme? Red and white or yellow and white would be the easy route based off of our current color markings, but really any color or color combo not currently employed by the wolves would work.

I'll bet that they'll eventually be given the fire support tag, like hellblasters, agressors and long fangs.

Fire Support = White and Black.

Supressors do have the Fire Support emblem on them, so by that, they would be White & Black marked. However, they are a Vanguard unit, which is said to be all Grey and Black.

So what if they dropped the common color between the two (Black), and used White and Grey for their markings - if you want to have a slightly different marking for them?

What about a "cuatri-fecta"?

They are fire suport

They are war-eager like bloodclaws

They are Vanguard

so we've got 

White and black

Yellow and Red

Grey and black

it leaves us with 4 colours: White yellow grey and black

you can then find a suitable schematic using the 4 of them

divide the pauldron if 4 parts and paint each color in one of them or if the guy you're painting you believe is more inclined to one way of doing things you can always paint bigger surface with the schematic to represent his actitudes (I mean more yellow and red if you fancy it's more bloodclaw but still having the 2 other colors around)

I had forgotten about the wulfen.

Ooo, the quatra pattern is bringing back some old 2nd ed medieval style vibes. Red, yellow, black and white with a grey claw/fang/skull what have you paced over the color that most represents their attitude off the field.

I think there's plenty of great options here.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Thanks all for the replies - a lot to think about here.

So far for my other Primaris units, I've just a solid field in one colour with a runic marking in the second colour for the icons (so Intercessors have had a red field with a black rune, Hellblasters a white field with a black rune etc.)

I'd got as far as basecoating the Suppressors shoulder pads in yellow before posting this, so part of me is inclined to go Yellow & Blue as some have suggested. The alternative is Yellow & Red as I first thought, but I think I agree with what seems to be consensus that they aren't really a close support unit and so this iconography doesn't quite work.

I should probably also point out at this stage that I have completely redesigned the Suppressors to be very different (stripped down, drum magazine autocannons, full jump packs and no ski shoes or silly flight stands) so I can probably justify having slightly unusual pack markings...

• 2 weeks later...

On another note, what do the brothers think about suppressors in terms of gameplay? Cancelling overwatch seems to be helpful for an assault army, doesn't it? Are they worth it?

Depends entirely on what you are charging, since you have to kill a model to suppress them.  Charging a unit of 30 boys? Suppressors are awesome.  Charging a Knight Valiant? Suppressors are useless.

Personally, I don't use them because I've never seen them do anything useful in game.  My UM friend uses them as semi-fire support, but we have Long Fangs.