Iron Hands Supplement: Calculated Fury Uses

Charlo

Edited the title to broaden the topic :)

Thanks to the new supplement preview:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/09/space-marines-preview-sons-of-ferrus-manusgw-homepage-post-3/

We now know that the main rule you get for going FULL IRON HANDS is this:

IronHandsPreview-Sep08-CalculatedFury-zl

We relentless now baby!

Land your Devastators in drop pods and unleash hell. No support characters necessary :cool.: :HS:

Multi Meltas are kinda amazing now, or hell the new Grav Amp Strat with Grav Cannons feels very IH.

Edited by Charlo

I guess I'll be adding in a heavy weapon to all my tactical squads after all.

A Battalion of 3x5 Tac Marines with Missile Launcher and Chainsword on the Sergeant is actually really decent and now exceptional under Iron Hands when you factor in Dev Doctrine, Shock Assault, Bolter Drill etc.

I have been running my Templar with drop podding heavy weapons ever since the codex came out. My list went undefeated in a local RTT and won me some prize support. If you want to steal some ideas from it, it is posted here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/358211-2000pt-tourney-drop-pod-templar-v2-and-v3/

I think Iron hands will run this sort of list even better than we can, so I hope you can gleam something useful from my playtesting.

Notes to pass on:
Always take cherubs
Always take the banner
Always drop everything together to share buffs and make a firebase
Be ready to be assaulted, Melee weapons on the devestator sarges end up putting in work when the counter assault comes.
keep all your deep-strikers with similar weapon ranges

Iron Hands are now the undesputed masters of a 5 man Grav-Cannon Devastator squad arriving via drop pod and destroying basically any unit.

No penalty to hit on turn 1, free re-rolls to hit, for 1CP you get to re-roll all wounds and the damage.

Also Repulsor Executioners are amazing with IH now too. Barely degrading, have a character stand between two of them with that relic to reduce damage. Good luck to any unit trying to assault these. Hitting on 5s with buckets of dice, and reducing the charge range in top.

This Chapter is looking unbelievably strong. I think Reece at FLG was right. I'm excited to see how strong they are, and I'm terrified to face them!

What really works in their favour is that they get the Doctrine benefit immediately from turn 1 onwards.

Edited by Ishagu

This definitely benefits old marines more than primaris for IH - Leviathans and C-Mortis are going to be terrifying with IH, since they will reroll 1s, are bs2+, get the bonus ap and ignore the penalty to move and shoot. You can half the wounds then reduce it by another 1 with the relic on whichever dread they are targeting, too.

I almost flipped my lid, but I guess it balances well against the UM one, since the UM one lets units count as stationary which is more powerful across the overall list and for primaris.

Ishagu is a little hyperbolic.

Executioners still benefit more from scions of guilliman as retaining full mobility on the double shot is very useful; keeping them clumped around a character for the relic might as well still be a chapter master as the full reroll is so nice.

The relic is really good, but mostly against mid-tier anti tank. The really crazy stuff like relic shokk attack gun and heavy laser destroyer can still one shot a repulsor through the relic. Mine in my game yesterday would have only taken 18 damage instead of 22 from one shot, not counting the 7 additional mortal wounds.

So...the Vultarax Stormtalons I've ordered will be more than just accurate. Piloted by a guy running the captain's inspiring speech on a podcast, ignoring the penalty for moving, getting +1 to hit against ground targets and AP improved to boot. Custodes wish they were that accurate - rerollable 2+, yay.

Redemptors might be fun, or contemptor mortis moving with rerollable 2+ to hit too. Hel, even LandSpeeders would be accurate, if flimsy.

Executioners still benefit more from scions of guilliman as retaining full mobility on the double shot is very useful; keeping them clumped around a character for the relic might as well still be a chapter master as the full reroll is so nice.

The relic is really good, but mostly against mid-tier anti tank. The really crazy stuff like relic shokk attack gun and heavy laser destroyer can still one shot a repulsor through the relic. Mine in my game yesterday would have only taken 18 damage instead of 22 from one shot, not counting the 7 additional mortal wounds.

Iron Hands Executioners are far, far better by virtue of their Chapter Tactic alone.

Ultramarines CT don't benefit them at all.

I'll take less movement with the perks of far more durability, efficiency, and long term effectiveness on this particular unit.

Edited by Ishagu

Iron Hands Executioners are far, far better by virtue of their Chapter Tactic alone.

Ultramarines CT don't benefit them at all.

I'll take less movement at the cost of far more durability, efficiency, and long term effectiveness on this particular unit.

I'm not sure that has anything to do with what I said. What I talked about was doctrine efficiency if you're doing a character-supported executioner clump.

Why you're bringing the actual chapter tactics and comparing them is rather confusing. Especially when, if you're doing said clump, you'd never choose the ultramarines tactic over say stealthy and double wound count. So you end up with equal long term effectiveness and efficiency, and arguably more durability.

I was comparing literally what I said I was, benefits of the two doctrines for an executioner clump.

What I do like the iron hands doctrine a lot for, is the various outlying units like the eliminators and suppressors that was pointed out in the suppressor thread. Things that are heavy weapons, but can be leveraged outside the main thrust of your army like the above and even whirlwinds and land speeders. It can allow iron hands doctrine users to have far more board presence away from the auras and maintain it in follow up turns compared to pods. Some really cool stuff.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

I think Iron Hands might start running squads of 10 Intercessors with Stalker Bolt Rifles... with Devastator Doctrine on, they can move and shoot with no penalty, reroll 1s to Hit for free, and have 10 x S4 AP-3 Dmg2 shots per squad, all at 36" range.... that is pretty good on a basic/mandatory Troop choice!

I think Iron Hands might start running squads of 10 Intercessors with Stalker Bolt Rifles... with Devastator Doctrine on, they can move and shoot with no penalty, reroll 1s to Hit for free, and have 10 x S4 AP-3 Dmg2 shots per squad, all at 36" range.... that is pretty good on a basic/mandatory Troop choice!

And can target characters with a stratagem aye? 3CP but with the +1 to Wound from a nearby Chaplain... Ouch. Lots of Mortal wounds too.