Iron Hands Supplement: Calculated Fury Uses

Charlo

Eliminators are also much better with Iron Hands.

This is definitely the Chapter to chose, thus far, for bolstering army wide heavy weapons.

There's so much scope for units to shine and we've only had these basic teases. I might actually pick this supplement up, although I'm not sure I could ever run my Ultras as another chapter lol

Edited by Ishagu

Are you guys ever going to leave to devistator doctrine?

I played a few games recently and I seldom did. AP3 Krak Missiles (yes I'm mentioning them again...) were just TOO Good!

What's great is that with the doctrine affecting such a wide variety of units (most vehicle weapons are heavy!) means that switching to Tactical/ Assault will mostly always be a detriment, however, the option still remains to switch if you only have bolters/ chainswords left and the enemies are at your throat.

I've gone through all doctrines to good effect - plenty of bolters to put to use for example! That was smaller points though and with enemy combat armies. For larger points where you can get more big toys in and more so against less "eager" foes I can see sitting in the Dev doctrine for a couple of turns at the least easily.

The Stratagem to jump back up a level is really handy, so you still have the option to drop down to the Tac doctrine to issue some close range pain if you need it for a turn. I'm thinking that assault horde armies could be the situation here, where you need to clear some chaff before they hit your big guns. Whatever you do the key is you have options to take when it suits as Charlo says :D

My current army list contains the following (along with some hq characters):

• scout squad w/heavy bolter (which I might replace with a TFC or something else)
  • 5x tactical squad w/heavy bolter
  • 2x devastator squad w/mixed loadouts
  • 3x ven dread
  • 1x ironclad
  • 2x redemptor

... all of which would benefit greatly from calculated fury, e.g. moving heavy bolters into range T1 without modifiers.

With the reveals so far, it is getting more and more tempting for me to pick up the 'iron hands' supplement instead of 'raven guard'. Thankfully my custom chapter is just a successor. Then again, I'm a bit worried about the FAQs said supplement(s) will get later on.

Edited by Exilyth

Literally every dreadnought. Full dreadnought armies went from 'decent' to 'hilariously terrifying' between the point drops, IH CT, invictor and this.

Double points for not needing Captains anymore.

The only question is what to run? Triple long range Vendreads is obvious with the new character+relic. But where to go from there? Triple invictor would work well with our super mobile sniper scouts. Triple contemptor would be flexible AND mobile. Triple redemptor is a bit pricy but has even more output than contemptors do. Triple Leviathan would be terryifying but would be half your army in 3 models.

Hmm. I'm thinking triple vendread, triple contemptor, triple invictor to start. Add a leviathan or two later if I need more oomph on the anti-tank side.

Edited by ERJAK

How about the humble Razorback? With twin Assault Cannons it provides lots of firepower, mobility, and protection for a unit of Tacticals with a Missile Launcher. Or keep it cheap and still effective with Heavy Bolters + one from the squad to shoot at infantry and claim objectives. 

I am bringing out my assault cannon Razorbacks again now that they no longer need to be baby sat by characters. They will be providing a secondary screen for my dreadnoughts while they advance forward. 

The Twin Assault Cannon is kind of expensive, and I feel Astartes have lots of Dakka options all over the place. I think I prefer the Lascannon now

I think TACbacks are pretty darn good, ignoring the penalty and getting an extra -1 means you're killing guard on 2s, whereas a normal dread with assault cannon has less wounds and shots. For me it makes more sense to have AT on something else like dreads or tacs