modelling barebones veterans

Joukernaut

Hello brothers of the deathwatch.

I got myself into deathwatch by starting a killteam and plan to expand this kill team into an army.

I have assembled and completely magnetized one squad of veterans to switch load outs, and by playing with my magnetized models I came upon an interesting question.

If I'm not mistaken you can have barebones veterans with just a bolter and a chainsword. I happen to have 30 mk3 chainswords lying around i can use to give them chainswords, but....

The veterans carry their bolster onehanded, and there is only one hand without a weapon in a 5 man squad.

How do you guys model your barebones veterans? do you expand into the regular space marine range and steal their arms, or is there an easier solution I'm not seeing?

Looking forward to your experiences in this matter.

Well, the kit was made back when chainswords and "close combat weapons" were the same thing.  So basically, the swords that the kit comes with are their chain swords.  To differentiate them from power swords, I make them silver, while the power swords are blue.  Of course, using chain sword bits is perfectly fine as well. 

I've done two things (no magnetization): I've spliced the guns off the included arms and built them the way I wanted, the other way I used the vanilla marines (and sternguard) arms/weapons and just assumed they had chainswords by default even though they only have 1 gun physically in their arms. A couple I managed to get chainswords and combat knifes on their hips/belts.

I initially had 2 kill team boxes and a vanilla space marine box. Some left over sternguard parts and a couple upgrade sprues (remember the deathwatch termie boxes?!). I ended with 4 kill team boxes in total, 1 vanilla box and 1 tactical marine box each from space wolves, blood angels and dark angels. No regerts.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello brothers of the deathwatch.

I got myself into deathwatch by starting a killteam and plan to expand this kill team into an army.

I have assembled and completely magnetized one squad of veterans to switch load outs, and by playing with my magnetized models I came upon an interesting question.

If I'm not mistaken you can have barebones veterans with just a bolter and a chainsword. I happen to have 30 mk3 chainswords lying around i can use to give them chainswords, but....

The veterans carry their bolster onehanded, and there is only one hand without a weapon in a 5 man squad.

How do you guys model your barebones veterans? do you expand into the regular space marine range and steal their arms, or is there an easier solution I'm not seeing?

Looking forward to your experiences in this matter.

Regular space marines. Very few of my Deathwatch are based on the Veterans kit.