Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rites of Passage

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,751 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.
To sum things up, we got 3 pages about sexuality, politics and such.

Quite surprised that we don't have the regular spoiler based discussion which makes me questioning if this one's worth it for the sake of the story itself, what it adds to the greatest story, etc.

I'm proud that the current discussion ran smoothly and civilized until now.

I got the impression that this can continue in a seperate thread. In here, we should return to the novel itself.
  • mc warhammer, DarkChaplain, cheywood and 2 others like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 161 posts
  • Faction: Tanks
It’s totally worth reading.

I’m not sure if I’m the only person in the previous three pages of talk to have actually read the book, but I haven’t included any spoilers due to a combination of trying to discuss books the abstract and avoid revealing plot points and being flummoxed by spoiler tags.
  • Kelborn likes this
🎉 🦇

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

It’s totally worth reading.

I’m not sure if I’m the only person in the previous three pages of talk to have actually read the book, but I haven’t included any spoilers due to a combination of trying to discuss books the abstract and avoid revealing plot points and being flummoxed by spoiler tags.

Havent read the book but I have been making an effort to milk you for the information. :D

To build on the Highlord angle, is it clarified how the houses rank themselves? Any particular titles and such. 

Urauloth

Urauloth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,052 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

A bit of an aside...I'd love to read a novel about a society that follows Chaos but whose citizens are arguably better off than average Imperial citizens.

I think that's every world the Death Guard visit these days. If you're not sure about the quality of life improvements, you should give the spores a little more time to settle in. msn-wink.gif

Regarding the novel (sorry if this was already addressed and I missed it) how similar is the prose here to Dark Run from a few years ago, if anyone's read both? I'm curious about a navigator-centric tale, but I really didn't enjoy the writing there. Sometimes you just bounce off an author's style.

• StrangerOrders likes this

It came with the nightfall

The dark that swallowed the stars
One by one, it painted them black
And brought horror to our hearts

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

A bit of an aside...I'd love to read a novel about a society that follows Chaos but whose citizens are arguably better off than average Imperial citizens.

I think that's every world the Death Guard visit these days. If you're not sure about the quality of life improvements, you should give the spores a little more time to settle in. msn-wink.gif

Regarding the novel (sorry if this was already addressed and I missed it) how similar is the prose here to Dark Run from a few years ago, if anyone's read both? I'm curious about a navigator-centric tale, but I really didn't enjoy the writing there. Sometimes you just bounce off an author's style.

Thats me with a few writers. Couldnt tell you why but with some books (I listen more than read) the style gives me fierce and sudden headaches.

Couldnt finish Crimson King (and McNeil in general) and I actually felt sick with Solar War, this authors triggers a similar reaction in me. Sort of why I am just asking the OP because I am dubious I could actually get through the book.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,309 posts
What was so bad about Solar War?

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

What was so bad about Solar War?

Nothing in the writing (and most of my issues feel more to do with BL than anything French did) and French is one of my favourite BL writers. 

I was being literal about style, some Audiobooks just give me very strong headaches. I have no idea why, I just can't get through some of them.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,326 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Probably because for like six chapters they didn’t even try not to make Uranus sound like it was a joke.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 161 posts
  • Faction: Tanks

If you’ve read any of Mike Brooks’ Keiko books, you’ll be familiar with his authorial voice, it certainly is by the same writer- but those books feel to me like they could quite easily slot into the 40k universe, so it’s no bad thing. He writes dialogue well, and it’s nicely paced and plotted. The characters are well-rounded with plausible motivations, and the lead is likeable without actually being that nice. It does perhaps get a little silly towards the end- to be honest I’d have been more than happy if the book had just focused on the inter-house machinations, but I can see why the narrative went the way that it did.

• Urauloth and StrangerOrders like this
🎉 🦇

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

If you’ve read any of Mike Brooks’ Keiko books, you’ll be familiar with his authorial voice, it certainly is by the same writer- but those books feel to me like they could quite easily slot into the 40k universe, so it’s no bad thing. He writes dialogue well, and it’s nicely paced and plotted. The characters are well-rounded with plausible motivations, and the lead is likeable without actually being that nice. It does perhaps get a little silly towards the end- to be honest I’d have been more than happy if the book had just focused on the inter-house machinations, but I can see why the narrative went the way that it did.

Just my two cents but without giving the ending away i have to agree (I picked up what happened on another site).

For my money there is an irksome need at times in BL to jam in the presence of another faction in a book which is frankly best left internal. Sort of how alot of really good political dramas in the setting or exploration books have big action scenes crammed in that feel almost jarring compared to the rest of the book.

Unremembered EmpireFulgrim: The Palatine PhoenixBlack LegionEmperor's Gift, Praetorian of Dorn and the Vaults of Terra are just some examples I can think of where I almost audibly groaned when I got to the action scenes. Not that they were bad by any means but they did feel like they detracted from the over all book and interrupted the worldbuilding and character interactions that really made the book.

The antagonist and last bits of Rites by my understanding fall victim to this same habit, which sort of leaves me wondering if Brooks was mandated to put them in. He himself is honest iirc about not really being that into action scenes despite his comfort with them and when I heard about it I was really confused by its presence.

• Roomsky likes this

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,036 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

At the risk of going off-topic, Vaults of Terra works, in that it brings it in to a much larger intrigue, and looks to be being set up to resolve a previously-mentioned plot-hook in the previous rulebook that has been left unresolved as of yet.

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

theSpirea

theSpirea

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts

Finally got my copy and started reading it. I'm one third in and I haven't noticed a single "controversial" thing. I have mentioned it before, I'm not a big fan of Brooks' writing and my opinion hasn't changed. The book is alright, the Chetta's part is interesting and I like what Brooks came up with lore-wise about Navigators. Radimir's part is a weak part, at least for me and for now. We'll see how the plot is going to progress further on.

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 685 posts

B&C making a mountain out of a molehill?

Preposterous.

• mc warhammer, Sandlemad, aa.logan and 1 other like this

Hey I've started a web comic! You can read it here.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users