Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Howling Banshees Exarch Miniature

Psychic Awakening event

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)
I used to not think very much of Eldar, but the Path Trilogy was really cool. Not cool enough for me to want an Eldar army, but so that it kind of raised my appreciation of them.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Interrogator Stobz

Interrogator Stobz

++ VILICUS PISCARIAM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,126 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels since RT.

Well I... I've never felt this way before. Could it be? I want to own Eldar? Time to leave the bolter and chainsword in disgrace.

+++You may stay, we have room for foul xenos now.+++
  • PeteySödes and phoenix01 like this

Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave.

gallery_48988_15465_19298.pngETL_2013_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_05f_PtR_2012.gifETL_Medal_06.gifsml_gallery_48988_16045_3749.png

Stobz'z DAngles

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,271 posts

Curiously enough, while the little ruin on the base looks extremely similar to the one that was on the Rumour Engine, it's not the same one. Could be from another Banshee's base, could be something else, but definitely part of this release.

This, + long hair.

Jain zar Lord incoming.
And probably eldar aspect shrines
The Harlequin and Eldrad plastics already had that type of ruin on their bases.

Jes Goodwin, the creator of aspect warriors, disagrees! Here's his sketch of a Howling Banshee exarch without her helm but there's also others of bare-headed aspect warriors, often with warpaint: https://i.pinimg.com...1d9c628e462.jpg

Concept art of stuff that ends up being rejected as not fitting the final product is kind of expected by definition.

If something gets rejected and then re-used with different specifics that kind of implies that it was rejected correctly in the first place.
they weren't rejected, GW passed on that concept art and we used it to do a helmless Banshee exarch in Dawn of War 2, all with GW review and approval.

Edited by Wispy, 10 September 2019 - 02:09 AM.

• Magos Takatus, mel_danes and Gederas like this

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 749 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Eldar, Admech

Is the Exarchs never being without a helmet a fan trope, or was it mentioned in older lore books?

The article says that helmetless Banshees are Ynnari

Yeah.  This is the thing I really hate.  As I dislike having helmetless models in general, personal preference (Plus the whole faces being hard to paint thing to boot!).  But also because I want to play Ynnari, and some people might get silly about it with GW establishing Ynnari = No Helmet Aspects.

• pandion40 likes this

Legionnaire of the VIIth

Legionnaire of the VIIth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 424 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

Is the Exarchs never being without a helmet a fan trope, or was it mentioned in older lore books?

The article says that helmetless Banshees are Ynnari

Yeah.  This is the thing I really hate.  As I dislike having helmetless models in general, personal preference (Plus the whole faces being hard to paint thing to boot!).  But also because I want to play Ynnari, and some people might get silly about it with GW establishing Ynnari = No Helmet Aspects.

I have to wonder if the problem is from poor communication, is it Ynnari because it has no helmet, which is ridiculous if so, or is it only because they put a new rune on the forehead? As long as the appropriate rune is there I don't see why it should matter but some communities can get stupid about things.

Edited by Legionnaire of the VIIth, 10 September 2019 - 02:40 AM.

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,878 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force
I’m sure you can use the helmeted head if you want to go Ynnari.
  • Son of Carnelian and Shadowseer like this

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts

Honestly, unless the pricing is 60 USD a squad or something, I'm definitely getting these at some point.

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,257 posts

I was brought up on the 2nd edition codex so I too remember the quote about Exarch armour consuming the wearer, it seems odd that that has been disproven now for longer than it's been canon. I thought the idea of a ghost-powered warrior was pretty cool, but it seems that's just the Phoenix Lords now. (now as of the Dire Avenger plastics at least)

As for the models, I love 'em. I was never much of a fan of helmless Exarchs for the reason above but that sculpt is just beautiful. I'm going to have to change gears with my miniature painting if they produce more than one new plastic aspect. Heck, I need to hurry up anyway but I've got some metal Banshees to paint as well.

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Ploghttp://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Ploghttp://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,247 posts

Well, the newest Harlequins Codex* references them following a plan crafted by Cegorach to "trick Slaanesh into saving the Eldar instead of destroying them" that I think is implied to take place instead of the Rhana Dandra, so them following the Ynnari probably has something to do with it. But for the rest of the Eldar, they probably think the Rhana Dandra is still their fate and/or have no idea that Cegorach and the Harlequins have a plan.

As for how that will tie into this, or if it even does, I have no idea, because there's literally no info beyond "Cegorach's got a plan".

* I've been looking into almost every Codex for anything remotely related to Psychic Awakening. Yes, seriously.

Some of us still remember what happened the last time GW tried to do a "final battle against Chaos" line.

we_badge_ezra.png

Darvell

Darvell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 263 posts
  • Faction: A few... soon(tm)

Really liking the Exarch there, I will admit.

My only gripe is that the helmetless head looks too.... well.... 'old'. I suppose that it could just be the paintjob, but the laugh lines shown don't make me think at all of graceful Eldar, but more.... screaming old woman. Like a Sisters of Battle Canoness.

Edit: Should add that it's not the fact that she's visibly screaming that irks me, more the depth of the laugh lines making her look far older than I personally feel she should. Again, possibly just the paintjob. Something like the Khinerai Lifetakers might have been preferable to my mind, at least.

Edited by Darvell, 10 September 2019 - 07:32 AM.

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,111 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
Literally the only reason I don't own banshees is because I didn't like the models. Now I want these!

I also really like the original striking scorpions, so a part of me wants them to NOT release new ones! Gonna be expensive replacing 30 of them! And would leave me with redundant models.

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,878 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

Literally the only reason I don't own banshees is because I didn't like the models. Now I want these!

I also really like the original striking scorpions, so a part of me wants them to NOT release new ones! Gonna be expensive replacing 30 of them! And would leave me with redundant models.

If you like the existing ones, you can keep using them even if GW bring new ones out.
  • Avicenna and Panzer like this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,790 posts

More form the French forum, eldar might have something else besides these dude as miniatures.

Edited by Sete, 10 September 2019 - 09:36 AM.

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,813 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

That's got to be one of the vaguest reports of news I've ever seen on this forum biggrin.png

I also heard that a faction might get a thing which isn't a thing we've already seen. You heard it here first!

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.png

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,790 posts

Just writing it as I read it. At the bare minimum a second kit. that's good news on my book even if vague.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,170 posts

My only gripe is that the helmetless head looks too.... well.... 'old'. I suppose that it could just be the paintjob, but the laugh lines shown don't make me think at all of graceful Eldar, but more.... screaming old woman. Like a Sisters of Battle Canoness.

That's just a byproduct of the painting execution - the paint/wash provides a stark contrast. It might even be a deliberately harsh contrast. Also, the lack of similar creases at the edges of the eyes and the forehead (at the very least right above the bridge of the nose) makes it look more like that line might be something like warpaint, accentuating the natural creases. It's likely that the actual depth is very shallow and, depending on how you paint her, won't stand out nearly as much if executed differently.

• Darvell and Volt like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,307 posts
If valid, the wording could suggest knowing something else is coming, but not knowing whether it'll make this release window

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,797 posts

Just writing it as I read it. At the bare minimum a second kit. that's good news on my book even if vague.

I for some reason think.
3 kits
Jainzar
Banshees
Banshee shrine terrain
  • Noserenda likes this
banana

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,058 posts
  • Faction: Anges de Vindication

New sculpts look downright godlike, only complaint would be the face on the exarch looking a bit weird for an eldar (not very elf-like or alien) but otherwise it's looking leagues better than the old resin models. Especially the dual swords.

+Quod vult valde vult+

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,170 posts

I don't know if terrain for any Aspect Warrior shrine is necessary/warranted. That would imply terrain to represent a craftworld. I could see Aeldari terrain, but more likely ruins or vestiges of their fallen empire (like the webway gate, something that is also found outside of the craftworlds).

• Triszin likes this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,058 posts
  • Faction: Anges de Vindication

I don't know if terrain for any Aspect Warrior shrine is necessary/warranted. That would imply terrain to represent a craftworld. I could see Aeldari terrain, but more likely ruins or vestiges of their fallen empire (like the webway gate, something that is also found outside of the craftworlds).

Could also be some Exodite terrain or Jurassic-style trees for forest terrain.

+Quod vult valde vult+

Darvell

Darvell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 263 posts
  • Faction: A few... soon(tm)

That's just a byproduct of the painting execution - the paint/wash provides a stark contrast. It might even be a deliberately harsh contrast. Also, the lack of similar creases at the edges of the eyes and the forehead (at the very least right above the bridge of the nose) makes it look more like that line might be something like warpaint, accentuating the natural creases. It's likely that the actual depth is very shallow and, depending on how you paint her, won't stand out nearly as much if executed differently.

Believe me, I'm hoping that is the case. If it is, then yes, the screaming face is far better. As said, it's my only real gripe and yes, I'll fully admit that it is a niggling one at that.

Makes me optimistic for what else might come later down the line. Now we just have to hope that Howling Banshees get rules to make them more of a melee threat and less of a bully unit.

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 209 posts
I wonder what the size comparisons are to the old models?

Theduke08

Theduke08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 576 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Space Wolves

While we wont see them all at once... We will see all of the aspects in plastic.

I wonder what the size comparisons are to the old models?

If the Wake the dead spirit seer is anything to go off of they will be larger by a fair margin.

Legionnaire of the VIIth

Legionnaire of the VIIth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 424 posts

I thought it was a male Exarch...

Codex Eldar 2nd Edition, page 9: "Unlike most other Aspects the Howling Banshees are almost always female Eldar..."; 6th, page 32 and 8th Edition, page 54: "A predominantly female Aspect..."; 7th Edition, page 43: "The Howling Banshees are a predominantly female Aspect..."*

* Emphases mine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Psychic Awakening event

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users