Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Impulsor

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use an Impulsor?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • What units (if any) will you be transporting and how will they be equipped?
  • Are you choosing the Shield Dome, Orbital Comms Array, or another weapon? How are you getting the most out of them?
  • What weapons choices are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

I think the clearest use for the Impulsor is to take the Shield Dome and use it to deliver a squad of RF Hellblasters and a character (probably a Captain) within 15" of a target. You could run a Primaris Ancient with SoS instead and have a Jump Captain to provide rerolls if you are not running pure Primaris.

I think this would work best with other tanks in a mechanised force. Even with a 4++, an Impulsor won't last long by itself. Unlike a Razorback though, it only has minimal firepower by itself so it really needs to be carrying dangerous cargo.

The important question is how this setup compares with Plasma Inceptors which got a price drop in Marine dex (hopefully we won't have to wait too long to get it ourselves). 5 Hellblasters + Impulsor is roughly 270 points. You can get 4 Plasma Inceptors with change for that.

Maybe this thread is a bit early considering we can't even buy the model yet? ^^

Anyway, my initial thoughts are to either put a unit of Hellblasters into Rapid fire range and ideally in cover turn 1 to blast something away or a unit of Intercessors on some objective turn 1. Afterwards do what you do with your Rhino as well. Use it as mobile roadblock. Deny line of sight, paths or charge some shooty unit. Whatever you need the most at that time.

I'd also always give it the 4++ shield. The orbital beam is fun, especially when you use multiples, but it feels a bit gimmicky ... and the anti-air weapon is just simply the worst option imo.

Also since you can put 6 models in it consider taking a SoS Ancient or Captain with your Hellblasters.

The Skytalon Ironhail array (Or whatever the damn thing is called) is FANTASTIC for it's cost.

6x 36" S4 -1 Shots with +1 to-hit AND +1 to-wound against FLY for only 5pts is hard to beat.

5pts yes, but it's S4 even with +1 to wound will still struggle to wound anything other than jump infantry.

The Skytalon Ironhail array (Or whatever the damn thing is called) is FANTASTIC for it's cost.

6x 36" S4 -1 Shots with +1 to-hit AND +1 to-wound against FLY for only 5pts is hard to beat.

5pts yes, but it's S4 even with +1 to wound will still struggle to wound anything other than jump infantry.

+1 to wound means it will wound on 4s against everything up to T7 and at -2 AP in Devastator. Wouldn't really say that's struggling for 5 points.

+1 to wound means it will wound on 4s against everything up to T7 and at -2 AP in Devastator. Wouldn't really say that's struggling for 5 points.

Ok, I concur here. It may be that I simply cannot find that many potential targets for this weapon. Aeldari, some Tau, some marines. But it's not like you'll always find a suitable target for it and you are giving up on the 4++ to take it. 

Also for now we are not allowed to use doctrines, so no AP improvement for us.

S4 is an issue but the bigger issue imo is the opportunity cost. Taking it means not taking the 4++ or the orbital bombardement thing.

Also since this is a BA thread, we don't have a Devastator Doctrine for the AP-2. ;) 

I think that ability v jump infantry is good. I keep forgetting that they have FLY now and get hurt by anti FLY weapons.

Jump commanders, crisis suits, swooping hawks, Wings of Sanguinius dreads, ad mech transports, all valid targets.

Not to mention every single new Primaris vehicle has fly. That's wounding other Impulsors on 4s and Repusors on 5s. It's not great, but it may be that extra wound that brackets a vehicle.

Yeah I know, but I still think the opportunity cost is too high.

Killing FLY infantry is not harder than killing infantry without FLY and you should have plenty of weaponry for those already in your list anyway. If you need those additional shots in case your opponent happens to actually bring FLY infantry you did something wrong. (not to mention that it's only 1.3 - 1.7 damage against a unit of T4 Sv3+ models with FLY depending on whether the Impulsor has moved or not)

And really, don't try to argue with FLY vehicles. Wounding on 4s and 5s is terrible and it does only 1 damage per unsaved wound anyway. An impulsor does only 1.25 damage to a T7 Sv3+ model with FLY if it didn't move and 1 damage on average if it moved.

If you want to deal damage with the Impulsor better take the Orbital Comms Array so you have the chance against multiple targets to do 1d3 Mortal wounds. It's just once per game per model and only damages a unit on a 4+, but in return it potentially targets multiple units, has unlimited range, doesn't require LoS and doesn't become worse when you move and/or against targets without FLY.

However since the Impulsor is mainly a transport and not a battletank its job is to carry around and protect infantry. For that task the 4++ is simply the best option. If you want a transport that also shoots stuff better stick with the Repulsor.

EDIT: grammar

Edited by sfPanzer

Orbital Comms Array could be nice against armies that like to castle up. I can see it seriously messing with all those detached Tau Drones. However most of the time, I think the 4++ is the go-to option.

The shooting options are underwhelming in the most part. You don't want to take an Impulsor for its dakka, you take it to get a shooty squad close to the enemy. If you want more dakka, there are plenty of options in the Marine list for more shooting.

The only marginal benefit I can see of the Skytalon array is that it is cheap. If you are really short of points and can't afford the extra 13 points for a shield dome, then it might be better than nothing. It is not a bad weapon for 5 points, I just think it is not worth giving up the opportunity cost of the 4++.

I would like to see someone try out 2 squads of Hellblasters and 1 squad of Vet intercessors each in Impulsors with a captain hitching a rid with the intercessors, to keep the threat level of each down.

That'd make a solid core to an armored list.

Sprinkle dreads to taste.

I would like to see someone try out 2 squads of Hellblasters and 1 squad of Vet intercessors each in Impulsors with a captain hitching a rid with the intercessors, to keep the threat level of each down.

That'd make a solid core to an armored list.

Sprinkle dreads to taste.

I was thinking something similar- You can make a pretty tasty mounted infantry style list, now.

For 1999 points, you can make a Vanguard battalion with 2 Lieutenants and 3 Incursor squads, so you have infiltrator deployment and board control right from the start. Then you can load up two Impulsors with a Hellblaster squad and a Captain each, and two Executioners loaded up with Aggressors. That's some pretty nasty, durable, and highly mobile firepower IMO.

I mean it'd be even better paired with some of the stuff our Vanilla Marine brethren are getting (looking at you Iron Hands) but between Shock Assault and Red Thirst, the Aggressors and Incursors, supported by Lieutenants, would be deadly on the charge.

• 1 year later...

How do you guys feel with it having a 5++ now instead of 4++?

Also, what about the storm bolters vs the fragstorm?

I'm right now in that dilemma with one Impulsor built before they changed the shield dome rules, and 2 more in the box needing built. I'm thinking that combined with the now 5+ invuln, and giving that I will probably never run just one, I'm, considering the missile turret for an extra firepower punch? As long as I get them in one piece to mid-field its mission accomplished. I will run 5 man Hellblasters with the assault incinerator plasma rifle too. Get to the mid field, blow away anything close and be a middle board firebase. I'll have choppy units moving up the flanks or leapfrogging over my mid board hellblaster firebase? An impulsor two that are still alive with missile turrets can both be handy for firepopwer and/or bulletsponges protecting other units.

The problem for me with Hellbalsters is that a combat squad + Impulsor cost as much as 5 Plasma Inceptors. The Inceptors bring their mobility with them, have built-in Deep Strike and put out more firepower than the Hellblasters (especially if you are shooting at a unit with 6+ models as the Blast rule kicks in).

The problem for me with Hellbalsters is that a combat squad + Impulsor cost as much as 5 Plasma Inceptors. The Inceptors bring their mobility with them, have built-in Deep Strike and put out more firepower than the Hellblasters (especially if you are shooting at a unit with 6+ models as the Blast rule kicks in).

You make a good point. In the end it may depend on the context of the situation? I'm glad I have a squad of 5 plasma inceptors ;)

It seems to me the main gain for the Impulsor is that Bladeguard now exist and have no inherent mobility increased.

Yes, Bladeguard are a good call. 4-5 and a buffing character seem like a good option. Judiciar seems like an obvious option but Captain or Lt are valid too. Librarian possibly?