9x19=(10)=10th Legion=My official Iron Hands blogohistory

9x19 Parabellum

The Flesh is Weak.

This will chronicle my conversions, painting and foray into the Iron Hands.

First up: I've won my first 2 games with Iron Hands, so I'm 2-0-0 so far with my mighty Knights of Medusa!

First game was 2 weeks ago against Ultramarines, using all new SM stuff.  1,000 pts.

The list was, as best I remember:

Sgt. Chronus in Autocannon Predator w/ 2 lascannon sponsoons

Sergeant Telion

2x10 Tactical Marines each with combi plas, plasma, and missile launcher

1x5 scouts with sniper rifles and camo cloak

1 Redemptor Dread w/ MacroPlasma

1 Stormtalon Gunship w/ twin assault, typhoon missile

My list was:

Bike Captain, teeth of terra, combi-melta, Imperium's Sword

Jump Libby force axe, plasma pistol

5 Tacs, combi-plas, plasma, pfist

5 Tacs, power axe, sbolter, melta bombs

5 Tac, heavy bolter, storm bolter, melta bombs

3 Bike, 2 melta guns, 1 combi-melta

3 Devastator Centurions, hurricane bolters and grav cannons

1 Hunter, stormbolter and HKM

1 Drop Pod, stormbolter

1 Rhino, stormbolter

2nd Games was on Sunday vs. Imperial Fists. 1500 pts.

Enemy list was, best I can remember:

Primaris Captain

Primaris Lt.

Chaplain

10 Intercessors with Bolt Rifles

10 Intercessors with Auto bolt rifles

5 Intercessors Auto bolt rifles

7 Tac marines with thammer, plasma pistol, plasma gun and heavy bolter (*I let him take the 2 guns even though he didn't have 10 dudes)

6 Aggressors full dakka

10 sternguard special issue boltguns

7 hellblasters with the rapid fire variant

3 Eliminators

1 drop pod

My List was:

Bike Captain, teeth of terra, combi-melta, Imperium's Sword

Jump Libby force axe, plasma pistol

Techmarine, power axe and combi-plasma

5 Tacs, combi-plas, plasma, pfist

5 Tacs, power axe, sbolter, melta bombs

5 Tac, heavy bolter, storm bolter, melta bombs

10 Scouts, thammer, combi-melta, heavy bolter

3 Bike, 2 melta guns, 1 combi-melta

3 Devastator Centurions, hurricane bolters and grav cannons

1 Hunter, stormbolter and HKM

1 Land Raider Crusader, w/ multimelta, stormbolter

1 Drop Pod, stormbolter

1 Rhino, stormbolter

Next up will be some shots of my new Iron Hands army getting painted up!

Good to hear of some wins, when the supplement is in our oily mitts IH are only going to get stronger! I'm looking forward to it, even if I'm not sure how I'll cope with having a strong codex :lol:;) How did you play your lists? Looks like a solid Dev doctrine core to your lists.

What colours are on your Knights of Medusa scheme? I'll be keen to see some pictures :D

Good to hear of some wins, when the supplement is in our oily mitts IH are only going to get stronger! I'm looking forward to it, even if I'm not sure how I'll cope with having a strong codex :laugh.::wink: How did you play your lists? Looks like a solid Dev doctrine core to your lists.

What colours are on your Knights of Medusa scheme? I'll be keen to see some pictures :biggrin.:

I used "Knights of Medusa" descriptively/poetically.  I'm just Iron Hands color scheme (since I'm basically converting my Raven Guard junior marines, they are keeping the black base coat and highlights). I'm using forgeworld transfers, but doing the right shoulder pad clan markings according to battlefield role (since there aren't enough clan markings on the FW Transfer sheet to do everybody from the same clan.

I don't know that there is just one thing that factors into Marine playstyle.  They are just versatile and great take-all-comers.  Putting 2x5 tacs in drop pod with a plasma gun was fun and enough of a threat that my opponents in both games were really thinking about their deployment.   The bikes did fantastic.  Arming them with melta guns (assault) and using the biker stratagem to give them a 3++ when they advance, which synergizes with everything was great.  The captain rides along with them so they are hitting on 4's and rerolling 1s.  Still getting on average 2 meltashots through at close range, and then getting a 3++.   That 3++ is enough that opponents dont want to commit anti-tank guns to them, but small arms fire bounces off them at T5, 3+/3++ and with 2 wounds it's just enough that the 6+++ FnP's actually kick in.  I'm thinking about adding in an attack bike with heavy bolter for 35 pts as a 4-wound damage soaker for them.

Sounds like an easy transition to make with the same core colour :tu: I've been tempted with bikes for ages now, I have a couple mostly done (for many years...) but that ship may have sailed. They'll certainly benefit from being IHs, maybe I'll (literally) dust off my MM Attack Bikes when the supplement comes out...

Thanks Warriorfish!

What's next has already been done. My unit of 10 Sternguard that I can't wait to get some good pics up of. I think you guys will likey.

What's next after that is also already done.  My Sanguinary Guard counts as Chaplains following the "Cult of Vitruvius" (my way of looking at the "Flesh is Weak" paradigm). I'll post more about that later.  But they are also done and can't wait to post them.

Then I need to get back to work on retro-ing my previous RG dudes. Next up will be painting the bolt guns white on my Scouts and getting them ready.

Hey I really like your models! I look forward to looking at more of your work-in-progress as well. 

I have to admit, it's nice to see your use of first born marines. What plans do you have to incorporate more bionics? Do you think they're best only on veterans or sprinkled throughout the force?

• 4 months later...

Update to this as it's been a little while and I got sidetracked with SW Legion.

Finished up a bunch more reworks and also added some new units.

Currently working on an Ironclad Dreadnought.

Played Phase 2 of our 3 Phase escalation league this last week and I went 3-0 (2 crushing victories, 1 standard victory).

My lists were:

Game 1 vs. Flayed Skulls Drukhari (750 pts, modified patrol detachment for escalation league)

Lockdown Eternal War mission, standard deployment, IH seized initiative. Final Score: 19-11

Techmarine (warlord) with Servoarm, Chainsword, Boltgun, Iron Stone and Master the Machine

Lieutenant with chainsword and bolt pistol

5 Tacs: chainsword, heavy bolter

5 Scouts: chainsword, heavy bolter

dreadnought: assault cannon, missile launcher

predator: pred autocannon, 2x heavy bolters, stormbolter, hkm

Drukhari Force:

Archon

3x5 Kabalites with blaster each

1x5 Mandrakes

3x Venoms with dual splinter cannons

2x Ravagers with 2x Dissy cannons and 1x dark lance

Game 2 vs. Nephrekh Necrons (750 pts, modified patrol detachment for escalation league)

Four Pillars Eternal War mission, opposite corners deployment, IH were granted 1st turn by opponents. Final Score: 5-2

Techmarine (warlord) with Servoarm, Chainsword, Boltgun, Iron Stone and Master the Machine

Lieutenant with chainsword and bolt pistol

5 Tacs: chainsword, heavy bolter

5 Scouts: chainsword, heavy bolter

Necron Force:

Cryptek with Staff of Light, Chronometron, Veil of Darkness, Immortal Pride

Necron Lord with Res Orb, Staff of Light

1x19 Warriors

1x8 Immortals with Gauss Blaster

1x5 Destroyers with Gauss Cannons

Game 3 vs. Grey Knights (750 pts, modified patrol detachment for escalation league)

Four Pillars Eternal War mission, standard deployment, IH were granted 1st turn by opponents. Final Score: 9-1

Techmarine (warlord) with Servoarm, Chainsword, Combi-Grav, Iron Stone and Master the Machine

Lieutenant with power axe, bolt gun

6 Tacs: chainsword, heavy bolter

6 Scouts: chainsword, heavy bolter

dreadnought: assault cannon, dreadnought combat weapon and storm bolter

ironclad dreadnought: heavy flamer, stormbolter, 2x hkms, dread combat weap, dread chainfist

whirlwind:  castellan launcher, hkm

Grey Knights Force:

Voldis

Apothecary

Brother Captain

2x5 Strike Team with falchions

2x5 Interceptors with falchions

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

• 3 weeks later...

So last night I played the 2nd game of my 3rd Phase of our FLGS Escalation League. (3 phases of 3 games at 500, 750 and 1000 pts respectively).

My opponent was Ultramarines, and I had not yet had the chance to square off against this particular player. He took 1st place in our FLGS annual "Tanksgiving" event. Even though we both won 3 games, and I had more total in-game Victory Points, he won because of Strength of Schedule. This suggested to me he was a very good player and I was looking forward to squaring off against him last night.

The lists were:

Iron Hands: (me)

Jump Captain: Power Axe and Stormshield (Sword of Imperium, Axe of Medusa)

Jump Chaplain: Crozius and Plasma Pistol (Tempered Helm, Master of Sanctity, Wise Orator)

3 x 5 Tacs with Lascannons and Storm bolters

1 x10 Sternguard

1 x 5 Terminators (5 stormbolters, 4 power fists, 1 power sword)

1 x 3 bikes with twin bolters

1 whirlwind with vengance launcher and hunter-killer

1 drop pod with stormbolter

Ultramarines:

Venerable Chaplain Dread (twin las, stormbolter, dread combat wep)

Tigurius

3 x 5 scouts with sniper rifles

2 x Thunderfire Cannons and Techmarines

1 x Relic Leviathan Dread with dual storm cannons, 2 heavy flamers, and 2 hunter killer missiles

Mission: Scorched Earth from CA 2019

Deployment: Front line assault (#5, pointed arrowhead along the long axis)

Attacker: Iron Hands

Defender: Ultramarines, but they seized the initiative.

Let's Take a Look at Deployment and Turns 1-2.

gallery_95196_15832_6504.jpg

I set up first and put my Drop Pod with Sternguard and Terminators in reserve.

T (or t) = Tactical Marines

WW=Whirlwind

B=Bikes

C=Captain

ch=Chaplain

My opponent set up after me but seized the initiative.

s=scouts

tfc=thunderfire cannon

tm=techmarines

vcd=venerable chaplain dread

TG=Tigurius

RLD=relic leviathan dreadnought

Red 4-pointed stars = the objective markers

Red Arrow lines = shooting

Black Arrow lines = movement

Yellow explosions = kills

Yellow explosions with numbers on them = damage taken but not killed

Faded colors (blue or grey) indicate previous positions of a unit prior to moving (ultramarines or iron hands respectively)

All the grey polygons on the map indicate some form or another of the usual mechanicum style ruin terrain. There are various gaps/windows in the terrain pieces so you just have to go with it when you see some red arrows (indicating shooting) going through the ruins at some points but not at other times.

Ultramarines Turn 1:

gallery_95196_15832_57091.jpg

So I took a fair amount of damage on Turn 1. Whirlwind got knocked down to 1/2 wounds, 1 tac squad got totally wiped, and another tac squad got cut down to just the sgt and lascannon. I also lost a bike. My opponent just could not seem to miss, with the exception of the scout squads that failed to produce any mortal wounds.

Iron Hands Turn 1:

gallery_95196_15832_59254.jpg

I made the early decision in the game that I was going to completely ignore the Levi dread and focus on everything else and objectives. Neverthelss, my return fire in comparison was pretty lackluster. I knocked out 1 scout with a lascannon on my left flank, and the combined shooting of the right flank lascannon plus the whirlwind, including the hunter killer missile, managed to take out one of his thunderfire cannons (just barely). My right flank tac sgt knocked off a scout with his stormbolter. In the center, I advanced my bikes and played "Skilled Riders" for the 3+ invuln save, both to score the middle objective and screen my characters. I was trying to figure out a way to leave a character behind on the back-middle objective, but ultimately felt this left my characters out of position, both of whom needed to be up front for their various buffs and beat sticks. Thus I decided to move them both up behind the bikes.

Ultramarines Turn 2:

gallery_95196_15832_7000.jpg

My opponent scored 2 pts at the beginning of the turn for his 2 objectives, plus first strike, put him at 3 pts. He moved the RLD up with Tigurius behind it, casting Might of Heroes on him and also giving him the -1 to be hit buff. I got the point: the RLD was not going to be killed :-) His shooting was pretty effective; he managed to kill the Whirlwind and put a lot of shooting into my bikes, ultimately killing only 1 (the 3+ invuln did it's job against the Ven Chap Dread's twinlascannons!) He also got a mortal wound on my Chaplain. With the loss of the Whirlwind and my bikes cut down to only 1 remaining model (this hurt for what I wanted to do with the bikes, which was to triangle-lock-down the Levi Dread in close combat) I was starting to get nervous. My opponent was feeling pretty good at about this time, thinking that he had broken my back or at least seriously crippled me. And in truth, I did feel like I was playing on the back foot now. Things were looking grim, so I looked to the Battle of Thermopylae for inspiration and the moment when the enemy's momentum was halted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNn5TZu6R8&feature=youtu.be&t=161

Iron Hands Turn 2 (aka, "now you've done pissed off the Gorgon")

In the past couple of games, I've brought my Sternguard in on turn 1. I've found this to be not as effective as waiting for 2 reasons. 1) the battlefield is still a bit cluttered and pieces are still concentrated, so it seems no matter where you bring down your drop pod (assuming you intend to do something useful), you're going to take a lot of return fire. I always end up losing most of my sternguard when I attack piecemeal like this. 2) If you come down turn 1, you're still in devastator doctrine and you don't get the additional AP that you would get if you waited till turn 2. So this game I fought the temptation to bring them down turn 1 and waited till turn 2. Ooh boy.

gallery_95196_15832_80641.jpg

So you can see a lot happens this turn, the trap is sprung. Terminators come down deep into his right corner deployment area and in tandem with my Tac marineSgt, they take out all of his middle right-edge scout squad. Sternguard come down and pop masterful marksmanship and I target both units of scouts. I knew he was going to use Transhuman physiology (and he did) but now it only had half the effect since he only benefited from it for 4 models. (He chose to play it on the scouts on the left flank, since they were holding an objective). With my Captain just barely within 6" of the Sternguard, I'm hitting on 3's, rerolling 1's, and wounding on 4's for 1 unit of scouts and on 3's for the other unit of scouts, all at -3 AP. The shooting is perfect, and I perfectly kill both squads with no leftover or wasted wounds.

The bike moved to my right to get a no-overwatch charge on the Levi dread. The Captain and Chaplain both do likewise to charge both Tigurius and the Levi Dread after the bike charges the Levi Dread and denies further overwatch on my characters. All 3 units (bike and characters) make their respective charges. Additionally, the Terminators manage a 9" carge on the Techmarine (thanks to reroll!)

My opponent was getting a little nervous after I killed all 3 scouts squads, but after my Captain kills Tigurius, and I get a triple lockdown on his Levi Dread, AND i make the charge on the Techmarine (and kill him) AND because the 2nd Thunderfire cannon is no longer within 6" of a techmarine so it dies...now my OPPONENT has practically blanched. How did what was shaping up to be a clear victory turn into what is now looking like a defeat!??

The one good thing for him is that he was able to knock out my bike with his 2 Levi Dread attacks, which then meant he would be able to fall back and shoot because I no longer had him locked down. Still, I'd say, this was an absolutely gangbuster round for Iron Hands.

With the 3 objectives I had at start of turn, I'm now ahead 4-3.

Ultramarines Turn 3.

gallery_95196_15832_39712.jpg

With only 3 models left, my opponents options are limited and on top of that, he begins to tilt and is no longer playing the mission strategically.

He falls back with Levi dread and throws 10 shots into both my Chaplain and my Captain, as well as his 2 Hunter Killer Missiles at my Terminators. His shooting is good; he kills 2 terminators, and my chaplain, but only manages 2 wounds against my Captain thanks to the combination of 3++ stormshield and 5+++ FnP (reject flesh, embrace machine). The Ven chaplain dread and techmarine shoot at the Sternguard and kill 4, but I make the morale check and lose nothing else. He was also in control of no objectives at the start of his turn, so his score is still 3.

Iron Hands Turn 3.

gallery_95196_15832_11386.jpg

With the drop pod on the middle board objective, I send the sternguard deeper to push the Ultramarine left flank objective. The terminators creep on the Ultramarine right flank objective. Both units pour shooting into his techmarine and take him down. My Captain further into Ultramarine territory and charges the Venerable Chaplain Dread. I do 6 wounds with the Axe of Medusa, and the Dread kills my Captain in his close combat phase, but I pop "only in death does duty end" and finish him off with the extra round of attacks. Thus the Warlords have destroyed each other. All that remains of my foe is his Relic Leviathan Dread.

With the 4 objectives I got this turn, the score at end of turn 3 is: 9-4 Iron Hands.

Ultramarines Turn 4.

gallery_95196_15832_15947.jpg

Levi Dread throws 10 shots into both my sternguard and my 5 tacs that are dasiy-chained out over my 2 backfield objectives. He kills 4 tacs (leaving the sgt) and 5 sternguard (also leaving the sgt.) I pass both morale tests (4 or less on 2 chances for each of them) leaving each squad with 1 model left.

Iron Hands Turn 4.

gallery_95196_15832_22063.jpg

With all my remaining models, I consolidate out of LoS of the Levi Dread so he has no shots (except on the drop pod). The terminators "Raze" their objective, scoring 3, and the Sternguard Sgt. advances to claim the left Ultramarine objective and stay out of LoS of the Levi Dread.

At the end of turn 4, the score is 15-4 Iron Hands.

Ultramarines Turn 5.

gallery_95196_15832_7309.jpg

The Levi Dread advances, having nothing to shoot at but the drop pod, but he's going for linebreaker and maybe stopping my 2 tac marines on my rear objective (depending on how long the game goes).

Iron Hands Turn 5.

gallery_95196_15832_52788.jpg

The Sternguard Razes his objective for another 3 pts. My other models all stay out of LoS. I keep the 2 Tac Marines on my right more than 1" back from the ruin terrain edge so he can't charge me and attack through the wall, and I also shift them left so he can't move the Levi Dread to shoot at them.

I score another 6 pts this turn, current score: 21-4

Final Turn 6.

gallery_95196_15832_18515.jpg

Levi dread advances again (he has to) to get into my deployment zone. If game goes another turn he can whack my Tac squad but it will be too late at that point.

I sit on my objectives, hoping for the game to end on Turn 6. It does.

Final Score: 25-5

My opponent told me after the game that he was indeed pretty sure that he had the game wrapped up after his 2nd turn, and couldn't believe the rally I made on my 2nd turn. I told him he put way too much resources and effort into protecting his Levi Dread; I was never going to attack it with any intent of actually doing damage or killing it (I attacked it with the Chaplain in melee at one point just to get him to waste a CP on Duty Eternal).

Looking at the models on the board after the fact, I had a total of 232 pts. remainining on the board compares to his ~325. So he had me "outgunned" by around 100 pts. Yet I beat him by a factor of 5. Just something to ponder.

Sadly now, I must confess that I lost earlier this week by 1 point to Grey Knights (12-13). My terminators failed twice to make a 7" charge which would have changed the game. (9" deepstrike charge +2" charge buff from chaplain, plus reroll command point = failure). Such is life. My overall league performance is:

Phase 1: (didn't play)

Phase 2: 3 victories (2 crushing, 1 regular)

Phase 3: 1 crushing victory, 1 defeat, 1 tbd (playing against white scars on Saturday).

I would have conceded by turn 3. I am guessing he must be a glutton for suffering. I thought you said he is good.

Well the escalation league discourages conceding.

Also I think he had approved "time away from the Mrs." and he was going to take full advantage of it, good or bad. Plus he's just a generally nice guy.

So I played my White Scars opponent on Saturday and I got massacred.  Tabled, in fact. First time I've been tabled in years.  It was a crushing loss 17-8.

Now there was some fantastic level of horse-doodoo that went on this game.  By my reckoning my opponent had spent 6 CPs in pre-game stratagems:

1 extra relics (Wrath of Heavens, Plume of the Plainsrunner)

2 units using the white scar "outflanking" stratagem

1 tempered by wisdom (+1 warlord trait to warlord)

1 hero of the astartes (+1 warlord trait to 1 character)

1 master of sanctity (upgrade Chaplain).

So he should have started with 5 CP (3 base, 5 battalion, 3 painted army league bonus = 11 - 8) instead of the 7 he claimed.

Additionally, he waited until after I had deployed before he "remembered he wanted to spend some CPs".  I allowed this in order to not be "tg" and because at this time I was unaware of all the violations above (and/or they had not happened yet.)

So all that complaining aside, after having played about 7 post-nerf games now, our Chapter, as I predicted has a serious flaw, in my opinion.

The basic conundrum is: "how much heavy weapon support to build in given that I only have one turn to fully leverage it."

This question is compounded by the problem of your opponent being able to mitigate the impact of your guns by careful/null deployment. 

In order to fully get around that problem, I have landed my list-building theory into 3 areas of operation:

1. Devastators in drop pod(s).  I'm thinking as many as 2 drop pods filled with 5 devastators each, including cherubim, for massive hammering alpha-strike.

2. Stormtalon Gunships. The ability to move like hell on turn 1 and get into LoS of any enemy units that are hiding on your will be key on 1st turn to leverage your shooting.  The fact that they ignore the heavy weapon penalties AND get a +1 to hit vs. ground targets means they are going to put in some good work on Turn 1. And they don't need character support.  Similarly, you can also fill this roll by using a Stormraven, the problem here is that your sacrificing a bit of efficiency because PotMS overlaps with our chapter super-doctrine on turn 1.  You can get 2 ST for a little more than 1 SR.

3. Thunderfire Cannons. Whirlwinds just don't cut it anymore with the reduced time in Devastator Doctrine. 2d6 shots at no AP is missing just enough sharpness to cut those enemy infantry entrenched out of LoS that are likely to be in cover, enjoying anywhere from a 2+ to 4+ armor save.  2d3 shots at -1 AP is just too few shots to make enough difference.  So I think it has to be TFC. Plus they are a smaller profile and are easier to hide out of LoS.  Plus they have that sweet BS2 and 1+ armor save in cover. 

The fact that Iron Hands start running out of steam on Turn 2 means our 1st turn has to be brutal, which basically synergizes with the typical alpha strike mentality and list building paradigms which we've realized over the last several years.  This means that Iron Hands games are going to be largely decided on Turn 1 (if we can break our opponent's back), which is too bad as Turn 1 alpha-strikes tend to be 1.) not fun for opposing players which leads to 2.) a perception that Iron Hands continue to be broken and in need of nerfs.

Thoughts?