Rules preview for Iron Father Feirros

Single wound models? I guess but I mean 10 intercessors around your Iron Father with this strat is the BEST anti sniper ability in the game so yeah saying their "bane" is snipers is silly. They are arguably the best equipped to deal with snipers of any army in the entire game.

The strat still has too many moving part to be the perfect anti sniper ability. 170p intercessors to protect a 110p character while burning 1CP per round without even knowing if someone wants to shoot the guy they're protecting. And if a list can't crack 10 intercessors, there's something seriously wrong with it - yes, they're good, but neither invincible nor brand new and unexpected.

I guess if you're playing your first game ever and just blindly put all your characters in range/los of snipers, and don't hide or put any in transports...

If you're hiding Feirros in a transport - congratulations, none of his buffs work from there, no need to waste shots in his direction.

Out of range for snipers is quite hard to do - 36" range and abilities like Concealed Deployment mean the board is rarely large enough to do that.

Out of LoS - possible, but limits his use. Especially when a blob of Intercessors has to be next to him too, that does take up some space and make the whole castle unwieldy.

And as relic carrier you still need a generic character, that one will die much sooner than Feirros, and therefore needs bodyguards too.

Yes, he's damn resilient and IMO a bit too cheap, but unless you intend to steamroll the steamrollers, there are ways...

Single wound models? I guess but I mean 10 intercessors around your Iron Father with this strat is the BEST anti sniper ability in the game so yeah saying their "bane" is snipers is silly. They are arguably the best equipped to deal with snipers of any army in the entire game.

The strat still has too many moving part to be the perfect anti sniper ability. 170p intercessors to protect a 110p character while burning 1CP per round without even knowing if someone wants to shoot the guy they're protecting. And if a list can't crack 10 intercessors, there's something seriously wrong with it - yes, they're good, but neither invincible nor brand new and unexpected.

I guess if you're playing your first game ever and just blindly put all your characters in range/los of snipers, and don't hide or put any in transports...

If you're hiding Feirros in a transport - congratulations, none of his buffs work from there, no need to waste shots in his direction.

Out of range for snipers is quite hard to do - 36" range and abilities like Concealed Deployment mean the board is rarely large enough to do that.

Out of LoS - possible, but limits his use. Especially when a blob of Intercessors has to be next to him too, that does take up some space and make the whole castle unwieldy.

And as relic carrier you still need a generic character, that one will die much sooner than Feirros, and therefore needs bodyguards too.

Yes, he's damn resilient and IMO a bit too cheap, but unless you intend to steamroll the steamrollers, there are ways...

My comments were in response to a statement that (and I'm paraphrasing here) that "it's balanced because snipers will be their 'bane'", which is simply not just not true. Not only do they have a 6+ FNP on all models, which right off the bat makes them ~17% better against snipers than any other space marine faction, but can also take Character Dreads which are well suited against snipers, and now have this stratagem. (which makes any target ~17% better because they have a chance to tank the mortal wounds that spill over)

There is no reason to put Father F in a transport, but the point that you can "just shoot other stuff" is a straw man. Other characters can be in the transport. If the opponent has snipers that are dangerous to this guy, you'll play it every turn until he or they are dead.  If they aren't dangerous (say 1 unit of Eliminators) then hell, just walk him up the board with an Apothecary and tank the shots with your 2+/4++/6+++.  Maybe a few of his 7 wound will plink off but you'll get em right back.

So, while I do think you're points are valid, and there will be games where this guy gets sniped down due to great play or bad luck...overall, if you're saying that your weakness is snipers, and you are actually the BEST suited against snipers of all your peers, then there might be a problem here.

In conclusion I don't really care.  I know and IH player and he's happy so whatever it's a game.  I just always hate to see an army get something included that's just so good, you're a fool not to exploit it.  I think this guy def is.

Edited by MeltaRange

Well, you would wan't that beatifull ability that let's you reroll all hits and wounds and damage from one of you'r leviathans nou wouldn't you? But perhaps giving that trait to another character with the stratagem from the main book?

Fair question, is he still worth playing when going 2-3 leviathans? He's 5++ aura ability seems to go to waist.

It's one re-roll to hit, then one to wound, then one for damage. Not all rolls. For Feirros himself, given that he needs to keep safe from being targeted, Student of History is brilliant for him to reposition or escape from assassination runs.