Horus Heresy "What If" - Tales That Were Never Written

b1soul

What would be interesting alternative takes on certain existing stories within the Horus Heresy, or stories we never got

I am talking about "what ifs" like:

1. Prospero Burns with a large chunk devoted to the SW/Imperial perspective of the Razing, rather than a scant few pages at the end

2. The HH White Scars arc done by Abnett rather than Wraight (Abnette was interested at one point)

3. Master of Mankind but with ADB's original concept of Zephon (Do we have more details about this?)

4. After Legion, another two novels by Abnett dedicated to the AL (something like Kyme's effort with Vulkan Lives, Deathfire, and Old Earth...but much better)

5. A full novel by ADB about Thramas, covering the events of Savage Weapons and Prince of Crows

6. Nightfall, a follow-up HH NL novel by ADB

Liking the idea of an AL arc, explaining more the differing points of view between the Twins about the Cabals visions. It would be better than some of the Scooby Doo stuff we've gotten. The AL should be more interesting to readers as they're the only Legion to turn for non Chaos or personal reasons. 

The HH wishlisting thread..

I guess the biggest one for me is an introductory trilogy that focuses more on Horus' ambition, ala FW's take on the character.

I'd meant to quote this in my previous post. We could have done with more attention to the build-up to the Heresy and spent more time on the changes that the XVI underwent.

Most all the abandoned novels are things I would have preferred over what we ended up getting. As Kyme mentioned in his Siege interview, the community's eagerness for the Siege meant there are several stories that we'll have to wait for now/never get at all.  There are of course the confirmed projects, Nightfall and Dreadwing, which were presumably folded plot-wise into other works.

There's also some things we can make reasonable guesses at. Presumably if Abnett and Mcneill hadn't gone on hiatuses we would have gotten a different flavour of certain later books, which I'm disappointed we'll never see. Who knows what collaborative projects we may have missed out on? I thought their working together on A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns produced both of their best Heresy contributions. We also may have seen a different author for the eventual Wolfsbane, which I would have liked to see considering I think Haley was a poor fit for it. And of course, we may have expected Abnett to be the hand to wrap up the Cabal and/or Meduson plotlines, instead of having them folded into Old Earth.

If we're just wishlisting (and I'm keeping these reasonable or it would be something to the tune of "have Abnett write them all") I would have liked to see a few things handled differently. If Russ was to make an attempt on Horus, it should have happened at Beta Garmon, which itself should have gotten 2 books: 1 for strategiums, primarchs, the attempt on Horus, and another for the battlefield itself and the Titandeath. I wish another author had been handed the Raven Guard, and have Gav write Descent and Fallen Angels instead, the lack of vision for the Dark Angels has been a big problem for the series.

I'm sure I'll think of more with time.

In general I would have preferred more pre heresy stuff. The iron hands never seem to get their chance to shine. An Ullanor book would have been awesome, showing the legions working together against an intractable foe.

I completely lost track of the heresy books for a time, I think roughly coinciding with Abnett going on hiatus and then coming back. It's a sad period in black library's history imo.

I like the idea of an opening trilogy focusing heavily on Horus and the Luna Wolves/SoH.

I love Horus Rising and the False Emperor/False Terra opening hook is interesting enough (Interex campaign fascinating as well), but I feel perhaps the series should have started with Horus really showing his leadership and ambition in the Ullanor campaign.