Horus Heresy "What If" - Tales That Were Never Written

b1soul

i would have liked to see more books that detailed out more schisms/ blood feuds with the primarchs pre heresy. Russ and the lion in his book was great. Corax and Horus had some beef, older lore was also he had many of his early victories because of RG. Some more AL books from Dan would have ben great, suprised there wasn't any more as Legion was pretty well received from memory. 

i would have liked to see more books that detailed out more schisms/ blood feuds with the primarchs pre heresy. Russ and the lion in his book was great. Corax and Horus had some beef, older lore was also he had many of his early victories because of RG. Some more AL books from Dan would have ben great, suprised there wasn't any more as Legion was pretty well received from memory.

bouncing off this- i’d like to read about 2 primarchs who were reasonably close and had a falling out that had nothing to do with chaos. just some good old fashion brotherly biff

and i agree that “legion” set up so much promise that feels oddly unfulfilled all these years later

I was hoping the Khan book would include some interaction between the WS and SW.

Perhaps a secondment, like a young Qin Xa, Jemulan or Yesugei seconded to the SW (we got Hasik seconded to the XVIth instead). Or perhaps an early conversation between Khan and Russ.

Perhaps a secondment, like a young Qin Xa, Jemulan or Yesugei seconded to the SW (we got Hasik seconded to the XVIth instead). Or perhaps an early conversation between Khan and Russ.

A Space Wolf seconded to the Thousand Sons or vice versa.;) Of course before Nikea, possibly written as flashbacks. The main timeline could be after Nikea or even after the Burning of Prospero.

The beginning of Dorn vs. Perturabo

Once bros, now foes

Happened to me the other day, my brother took the last leftover pizza slices before I did. The MegaVolt87 Heresy begins lol:teehee: What about the rise of the 1st captins? would be cool to see a book on each. 

EDIT- think like the primarch series, but with the Legion 1st Captain's. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

Upon some reflection, I wish the Heresy had never even bothered with the pretense of being a series; BL has been absolutely knocking it out of the park with events post-Gathering Storm. I know we have similar things throughout the Heresy, but mono-author trilogies detailing a groups actions during the events are far more compelling than one-offs trying to explain how groups fit into events. It would have also allowed them to write on an even more chronologically loose schedule, with some Siege stuff even being addressed early on to keep people satisfied. The galaxy is a big place, even as a more contained conflict, there's no reason there couldn't be a series about the Blood Angels (YMMV on author) set during the Heresy that tells its own story, and also adds to the tapestry of events.

Edited by Roomsky

@Roomsky - that goes back to the “is Horus Heresy a setting or a story?”

Clearly in very beginning it was seen by BL as a story with the 1st trilogy (I think the high sales figures surprised them). Then over time the thinking clearly evolved into HH being a setting with less concern for chronology. Then lots of the fanbase started moaning so eventually they changed tack again and made it back into a story.

What they could have done is try to do both in parallel through branding.

1. The core chronological story backbone (perhaps, arguably) focused on tighter group of characters (ie Horus). This would reference but not show other events happening during HH.

2. Other events and plots not directly impacting on core story.

It might impact sales of course as everyone would buy the core story books but only those interested in HH as a setting or certain factions would buy the other events books.

Edited by DukeLeto69

I think it definitely would have benefited from showing us more of the "glory days", maybe starting at Ullanor. As it was, Horus' fall was way too quick, and we didn't get much to see of the glorious figure he was before. Instead, we dove headlong into "everything sucks now", which isn't as much of a tragedy if we don't really appreciate what was lost. 

I think it definitely would have benefited from showing us more of the "glory days", maybe starting at Ullanor. As it was, Horus' fall was way too quick, and we didn't get much to see of the glorious figure he was before. Instead, we dove headlong into "everything sucks now", which isn't as much of a tragedy if we don't really appreciate what was lost.

I agree and with hindsight that would have been better. But in 2006 I really don’t think BL thought they would have such a monster on their hands. The opening trilogy sort of does what you say at an appropriate pace if they were only originally expecting maybe 9-10 books.

What if the Mechanicum and Imperial Army actually got the screen time they deserved. What if all legions were treated fairly or at least based on import to the story and not just what X author fancies writing? What if the series had actual oversight and planning once it got to the stage that it was clear it would last for years rather then just the last third. What if they change to hardback didnt occur halfway into the series when the greed overtook any other consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point. I'd actually love that to be addressed in the Alpharius Primarch novel. It could be a bit like the Curze novel in how it jumps between important scenes. It could pull together the whole acuity stuff with the Alpha Legion playing both sides, failing and then Omegon eventually deciding to abandon the plan, keep playing the Loyalist side like he seemingly has been, and handing the Primarch Project samples to Guilliman during their showdown at Eskrador, which would then also explain where Guilliman had the tech to gift to Cawl from.

We know the Legion is pretty much shattered into chaotic cells at cross-purposes, but actually seeing the remaining Primarch tap out and make an actual decision after all this time? That could be neat.

Good point. I'd actually love that to be addressed in the Alpharius Primarch novel. It could be a bit like the Curze novel in how it jumps between important scenes. It could pull together the whole acuity stuff with the Alpha Legion playing both sides, failing and then Omegon eventually deciding to abandon the plan, keep playing the Loyalist side like he seemingly has been, and handing the Primarch Project samples to Guilliman during their showdown at Eskrador, which would then also explain where Guilliman had the tech to gift to Cawl from.

We know the Legion is pretty much shattered into chaotic cells at cross-purposes, but actually seeing the remaining Primarch tap out and make an actual decision after all this time? That could be neat.

Horus found and met Alpharius first I think and stayed with him before he met up with the Emperor, that would be  very interesting in Alpharius's book. 

I would have loved to see more of Ferrus' youth, bis fights with the storm giants and of course Asirnoth...

And his feud with Rogal Dorn. If that would be covered in Dorns Primarchs-novel would be great but I dont think so...

What if they would have published at least one Pre Herey-Legion-novel to flehe them out and show all their strenghts, weaknesses, believes and characteristics, their friendships and style of warfare and their place in the Great Crusade and the Imperium...

What if they had spent more time and care for the Legions, the Army and the Imperium than wasting their time on the Imperium Secundus and stuff like that...

Horus found and met Alpharius first I think and stayed with him before he met up with the Emperor, that would be  very interesting in Alpharius's book. 

AFAIK, as of HH: Extermination, that is just one of many theories about Alpharius' origins. In the very first WD lore about Alpharius that was the his origin story (pretty sure it was maintained in IA), but I would be very surprised to see that - or any aspect of his/Omegon's origins - in a Primarch novel.