Warsuit inbound, tactics?

mel_danes

Bought one this evening.

Plan to magnetize both weapon options, for both sides. Also do some quick conversion work on the "rool cage".

I'm not the quickest of tactical cats at the best of times, but I've read some uses for this unit.

What have your experiences been on the table top?

How do you get the best from this unit as an Ultramarines player?

Thanks brothers.

Always make sure to deploy them outside of your deployment zone if you are planning on using the redeploy stratagem. It allows you to redeploy only back into your deployment, not out of it.

Also one of their greatest tools is as a psychological tool against your opponent, allowing you to lock down an enemy in deployment.

I’m honestly not sure if the flamer is better or the stubbier. Personally I think the flamer benefits better from our tactics since the chances of them living past turn 1 are fairly slim and you will always be moving.

To confirm.

Concealed deployment close to the enemy Deployment Zone. More units are better than a solo operator.

Get turn one, flame on, smash face.

If turn two, use Redeploy Stratagem to bring back from the brink.

This allows for immediate pressure on the enemy locking them into thier deployment zone while we reposition and gain early battlefield advantage.

Expect to lose the unit. It's wounds and toughness combined with the immediate nature of its threat level make it a must kill target. However those weapons are not trained on the rest of the army.

Couple follow up questions.

1.) Should these deep deployed Warsuits be backed up out in no mans land, by other concealed deployment infantry?

2.) If you lose turn one alpha strike and redeploy them. What role do they serve back in our deployment zone, with a flamer? Da 'Jump denial, foot slog up to support?

Thanks for the comments.

Do we have experience using these new toys, or are we theory crafting at this point?

Please share your stories. Performance highlights, or crushing disappointments, either way experience is learning.

2.) If you lose turn one alpha strike and redeploy them. What role do they serve back in our deployment zone, with a flamer? Da 'Jump denial, foot slog up to support?

Defensive focus with 2-3 of these packed into your army makes it nearly impossible for fast movers to reliably charge your army on turn 1-2.  They're an extremely effective buff against things like GCS and Da Jumped units trying to lock your army up.

The Invictor Warsuit is indeed a fearsome new addition to our arsenal but with the surge in popularity in marines again we will no doubt see I’m having to formulate ways to counter these guys myself as several in my group are committed to getting the full 3 to put the early pressure on, they are just that good. I know the Imperial Fist player is planning to use flamers on his and in test games they have been extremely effective.

However as Ultramarines we are in a good spot to counter them I believe as we have access to many concealed deployment options of our own so it comes down to who gets to deploy first. If I can drop first it will be a ten man scout squad strung out as wide as possible across the centre of the table to deny as much space as possible to the first warsuit. This will force him to setup either left or right 9” away so right on the table edge. I’ll then set up another smaller team of scouts on the opposite side again spread as far as possible which should leave him with no other good placement for the other 2.

Then pop the redeployment strat to get the scouts back a safe distance from those nasty flamers neutering their impact on the early game. Granted they still get to move 10” if going first so still may catch something but should be totally out of charge range. But you must then dedicate a fair amount of your army to dealing with them as you can’t just ignore them which is the exact reason they will be getting spammed in a lot of lists.

Anyone else have any better plans to counter these things? Fight fire with fire?