Ultramarines Brigades

Captain Idaho

So it was Wolves, lots of dreads and Wulfen. Bjorne and 2 Leviathans with twin storm cannons, 2 Wulfen dreads, 2 packs of Wulfen and 3 Aggressors. There was also a Wolf Priests kicking about with the Wulfen packs and 2 Whirlwinds.

Mission was chapter approved supplies from above with 4 objectives and deployment number 3 search & destroy.

I deployed first and set up my castle as far forward behind a large central ruin as I could, risky if I’d been seized on as the Wulfen would likely have made it into my Aggressors but I couldn’t have been shot at beforehand.

But it was ok I went first and advanced the Aggressors to get them through the walls and in range. Plasma cannon devs moved up onto the first floor of the ruin and Grav devs moved round the side of the ruin. Suppressors landed on the top floor of the ruin but everything was in range of the Chapter Ancient and the chapter master biker. I popped the stratagem to add 3” to his aura for the full re-rolls. Stormhawk zoomed over to take some shots at his Aggressors and I used Big guns never tire on it.

The Wulfen dreads soaked up a lot of firepower due to their shields but both were down by the end of the first turn. Took 5 wounds off the Aggressors and liked a few Wulfen.

His turn the Wulfen advanced up looking to charge my Aggressors and the Leviathans shot my plasma devs and Grav devs out in the open. The Grav guys died completely but I made a lot of saves for the plasma dudes in cover and 4 survived.

Then the Wulfen charged and got over watched by not just the Aggressors but also 3 other units thanks to the defensive fire strat. 3 made it into the Aggressors and killed 2, but my Chapter Champ heroically intervened into the Wolf Priest and killed him.

My second turn my Aggressors fell back and everything else moved up, shot one of the Leviathans off the table and remaining Wulfen and his last Aggressors at which point he conceded the game. Only things left were Bjorne and the Whirlwinds and a Leviathan on 3 wounds.

Could not believe the whole two turns Cassius did not get a single litany off despite 4 rolls! Also the Stormhawk fluffed majorly against his Whirlwinds when the Lastalon hit twice, wounded twice, both went through and I roll snake eyes for the damage lol with no cp left to re-roll. Also out of all of my casualties only rolled 2 plasma dudes to shoot before they were removed so bit disappointing.

Overall though it’s very encouraging and I look forward to taking it out again soon and will be sure to share with you. Brigade seems to very effective for Ultramarines!

@harrybo, not sure if you noticed, but your Captain on Bike is 6pts too cheap in that list you posted earlier :)

Sorry I goofed on the maths of the list, he should be 90 points without the power sword as I couldn’t fit it in otherwise so dropped it. 88 for captain on bike, 2 for stormbolter, chainsword is 0 so should have only been 4 points over due to the power sword.

Figured I didn’t really need the sword anyway with my Chapter Champ on hand to deal with anyone who dared approach....

• 2 months later...

Hope this isn't considered thread necro, but I've been looking at the Primaris brigade recently, especially given how solid intercessors are under tactical doctrine, using a chaplain instead of a captain due to bolter fusilade successor trait.

Primaris Chaplain (adept of the codex, master of sanctity, wise orator)

2x Primaris LT

6x5 Intercessors (bolt rifle)

1x6 Aggressors (boltstorm)

3xInvictor Warsuit (flamer)

1x3 Inceptors (plasma)

1x3 Suppressors

1x3 Suppressors

3x3 eliminators (2x las fusil & carbine)

Warsuits to create early pressure while the aggressor and intercessor blobs move into midfield. suppressors and eliminators on anti vehicle/monster duty. inceptors to troubleshoot in turn 2

Edited by Riddlesworth

Looks solid to me.

Thank you kindly. I went back and forth on the eliminators. If they were bolter rifles, they'd mesh with the chapter tactics well, but pure primaris footslogging lacks anti tank more than anything else (hellblasters don't count), and knocking out 18 damage per turn pretty consistently alongside the suppressors is more valuable to me than picking off characters.

As an aside, Invictors are what have really made this thing tick for me. without them I would still clear screens effectively, but lack the early pressure which protects the aggressors and intercessors while they get into range

It's solid in many circumstances but I feel it will perhaps be a little immobile and lack real hitting power with its firepower outside the key units. The mobile elements are also the shooting elements that are most powerful (aside from Eliminators) thus the opponent target saturation and priority is fairly easy to make - kill the Inceptors, followed by the Suppressors.

Minor quibbles mind. The list is still good and I fancy against many opponents works very well. So this above opinion only really counts for super competitive or niche opponents.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Was trying to figure out how to break my army into a Brigade, but I guess if I split up the bike squad in the army list section and spin the attack bike off, drop an HQ and a bike or two out of the 8 of them, could probably squeeze it together. 

Then again, why spend the points on Elites for 2 extra CP

Eh...

It's a case of, have you already built the list or want the units anyway?

I never reccomend dropping what you want etc just for a Brigade. I found I already had all the units for a Brigade bar a single Attack bike so it was a simple choice to retool my army. In fact, you save on HQs in that circumstance over a double Battalion.

It's a case of, have you already built the list or want the units anyway?

I never reccomend dropping what you want etc just for a Brigade. I found I already had all the units for a Brigade bar a single Attack bike so it was a simple choice to retool my army. In fact, you save on HQs in that circumstance over a double Battalion.

This. If you're already invested in double battalion, brigade isn't that much of a stretch and there are plenty of cheap viable options in elites (ancient, apothecary), fast attack (attack bike, speeder, suppressors) and heavy (eliminators, stalkers, whirlwinds).

all depends on what you want the army to do