Iron Hands Weaknesses

MeltaRange

Not gonna argue the Leviathan isn't ridiculously survivable with the current combo, still not particularly worried about it in a tournament setting. Friendly games are another story. I'd still prefer to see the next year of codices before I freak out about anything, but that's a long time to get stomped by someone unconcerned with how much fun their opponent is having, so I get it from that point of view as well.

Well said sir!

Let's face it, the Leviathan is great and all but soon the Eldar codex will come out and put it to shame. Enjoy it while it lasts :tongue.:

Also as for weaknessess:

• Tying up in combat
  • Mortal wounds (6+ is nice and yes can be improved but that costs CP)
  • Ignoring it and playing the mission - it's short ranged!
Edited by Charlo

Yeah, let's say a friend spammed leviathans (5 at 2k, pre-Rule of 3) with his IH...only to play them as UM at every tournament. It turned out that anything that can ignore overwatch can prevent these monsters from shooting if you're not UM, which is a clear weakness. Now everyone talks about having a single unkillable Leviathan, but both BA and RG have smash captains that can just jump in and lock it down for a turn without eating overwatch first. Anyone else will have to weather the overwatch - of the relic bearer next to the levi, not the levi itself, Pile In be praised.

In a situation such as that I would probably use the 1 cp strat to fall back and still shoot with the levi.

Which strat is that? I'm only aware of RG's False Flight at 2 CP.

Except for that, I guess taking down a Levi seems so mathematically hard because Ironstone and Duty Eternal take the usual AT down to 1 or 2 wounds per shot. Anything 1D or MW is not affected in any way - heavy bolters in dev doctrine are entirely unaffected. Sure, taking down a levi with just HB shots requires 147 shots (BS3+) or 126 (with captain), but every single MW inflicted elsewhere (strats, psykers) lowers that by 10 shots. Not quick and easy, but a piece of the puzzle of how to take it down after all.

Yeah, let's say a friend spammed leviathans (5 at 2k, pre-Rule of 3) with his IH...only to play them as UM at every tournament. It turned out that anything that can ignore overwatch can prevent these monsters from shooting if you're not UM, which is a clear weakness. Now everyone talks about having a single unkillable Leviathan, but both BA and RG have smash captains that can just jump in and lock it down for a turn without eating overwatch first. Anyone else will have to weather the overwatch - of the relic bearer next to the levi, not the levi itself, Pile In be praised.

In a situation such as that I would probably use the 1 cp strat to fall back and still shoot with the levi.

Which strat is that? I'm only aware of RG's False Flight at 2 CP.

Except for that, I guess taking down a Levi seems so mathematically hard because Ironstone and Duty Eternal take the usual AT down to 1 or 2 wounds per shot. Anything 1D or MW is not affected in any way - heavy bolters in dev doctrine are entirely unaffected. Sure, taking down a levi with just HB shots requires 147 shots (BS3+) or 126 (with captain), but every single MW inflicted elsewhere (strats, psykers) lowers that by 10 shots. Not quick and easy, but a piece of the puzzle of how to take it down after all.

You know what?  I just checked iron hands strats and didn't see it myself.  I could have sworn it existed, but apparently it doesn't.  That is my bad, I guess I got my wires crossed on that, I have been operating under the assumption that iron hands dreads could do that.  So, this is a big apology on my part to anyone who is paying attention.  I'm sorry, I thought I read that it was a thing, I was wrong.

To that end, yes you're right, tying it up in melee would be a viable strategy.