++Fear of the Unknown++ 30k Night Lords

TheTrans

Heya gang!

While I'm still working away on the 30k Dark Mechanicum, I've just opted to a little bit of a modeling project and pallet clenser (drab yellow gets soul crushing..who woulda thought?!).

While very different int colour, it will be similar in theme to my Dark Mechanicum efforts, meaning horror, bodily mutilation and all the horrible things that the heresy, and namely the Night Lords are.

First up just a little bit of what I've been working on just trying a few things out.

The below is just a tester for the first marine I'll be doing, just want a relativley 'normal' MK4 marine holding up a civilian and eviserating them as some..ah..encouragement for the minions he'll be whipping into the enemy guns.

gallery_40397_15823_31231.jpg

Super basic, but you get where it'll be going. While I was doint this, and loathing trying to do the MK4 Chest, Knees and Wrist plates (outside the helmet which I can use actual GW for) which I find are the most iconic parts of that armour... it hit me... I have a 3D printer and access to thingiverse.. lets have a play.

gallery_40397_15823_31102.jpg

Now as my 3d modeling skills are pretty terrible this early into the game, the best I can do so far is cut/rearrange pieces from existing files. So here I simply got a MK4 marine avaialbe on Thingiverse and removed/cut down pieces so I was left with just wrists, chest piece (which I rigged a sort of 'cutting block' to place 3d models of the armour over to cut out room for the Primaris Chest) and knee pads. I then increased their size a little prior to printing and boom! Primaris-MK4 conversion set!!

I've opted to go this route as I feel unlike 40k, 30k (even with something like the nightlords) does require at least a little bit of uniformity to get that 'legion' vibe.

gallery_40397_15823_80083.jpg

Just a little scale shot so you can see whats going on!

So next up, I'm working (almost completely in 3d here) on a truescale nullifactor as there isn't any great true-scale options available for Terminators (aside from Custodes Termies, but they'd require a soul crushing amount of work to get looking cataphractti enough for my liking). So I've sourced a few different files and what not (this is based mainly off a model from the Makers Cult on Pateron/CGtrader).

gallery_40397_15823_11283.jpg

So that'll be mounted onto some Cataphractti legs I also sourced a 3d model of that will be upscaled a bit to suit also, shoulder pads will be similar to the generic 30k pads and arms will be upscaled cataphractii arms. So it's printing as we speak, lets hope it doesn't fail :P

So after all this the very basic fluff for the army so far (well get fleshed out, don't worry). Essentially ole KK obviously distrusts everything as we know, espcially Daemons, but could possible see them as a very basic means to a terror-end. So the fluff behind this army is there is a small contingent of Atramentar who have been dabbling or at least looking into ways of combatting Daemons as a fail safe, but have been told to have an attempt at the very least weaponising them for terror tactics, and if the Daemons turn, well they are equipped to put them down.

The army will be based around Dark Compliance, with Daemonic Allies. It will eseentially be a few night lords squads whipping a bunch of indentured civilians into battle to act as a catalyst for a Daemonic Incursion.. so you've got terror of killing innocents that is then double downed upon with Daemons tearing into reality due to it.

Very basic as I said, but enough to get the ball rolling.

As an aside if anyone knows anywhere I can get some decent civlian looking models, that'd be awesome!!

Cheers!

Really looking forward to see how this develops!
3D printing bits for a project is such a cool thing to see, what printer are you using?
I just got a Elegoo Mars I need to set up but I'm planning on similar things to what you're doing here.

Ok boys,

Print finished without issue, but not super happy with the legs and and arms, will show you though! gallery_40397_15823_1119.jpg
(head is there just for scale).

So I think the chest is about the right size, as are the outer/upper pads. I'm not loving the arms or the pose i put the legs in, bit static and a bit too much chonk. I think I'll use FW Cataphractii arms (maybe justaerians or some such) and I'll have a play with the legs a bit (as they obviously need to still be the larger 'printed' size.

gallery_40397_15823_63174.jpg

Just a scale shot, given how upright the stance is on the termy and how squat the MK4-aris is standing, size is about right and will look less pronounced when I've changed the termies legs stance.

gallery_40397_15823_40763.jpg
Close up of the chest piece. Sorry for the blurryness but I think even in the 'vent cages' on its back you can see the amazing detail a resin printer can spit out!!

Also printed out another conversion kit, seems it will take me only about 10-15 minutes a model to swap a primaris out to MK4 which is awesome!

gallery_40397_15823_7695.jpg

So I feel with that sort of time frame it is certainly doable to do squads of these bad boys, something I thought I'd never be able to deal with with truescaleing!!

Finally I printed up some shoulderpads and a chest piece for some Gal-Vorbak legs I had kicking around. The chest and shoulder pads are scaled slightly larger than the 'standard' ones as the vorbak legs are beefy even when truescaling.

gallery_40397_15823_16846.jpg

So he'll no doubt end up being a terror squad leader or some such!

Ooooh, now this is interesting. I'm definitely gonna be following this one closely.

Plus: More Night Lords are always cool and welcome :thumbsup:

Follow away good sir!!

Haha I feel no planetary populace has ever said those words :P

Your work is always inspiring. Can't wait to see you tackle the Heresy!

Thanks mate! Already got some dark mech flapping around the WiP good sir :P

Really looking forward to see how this develops!
3D printing bits for a project is such a cool thing to see, what printer are you using?
I just got a Elegoo Mars I need to set up but I'm planning on similar things to what you're doing here.

Hey mate! I recon little, low colume resin printers are the way forward! I'm just running the little bargain basement Anycubic Photon! Its been a great little unit so far! Only issue is the bloody UV resin is brittle as all buggery (when cutting, imagine like cutting a hard lolly (candy for you yanks)), so I've just got some 'flexi' resin in from Monocure which I'll be mixing in and playing with over the next 2 weeks of holidays :P. Keep me updated on how you go mate!

I’ve been trying to figure out how to turn Primaris into MK IV for ages and I think you have hit the nail on the head with this. I’ll be following with interest!!

Thanks mate!! Yeah there is the usual process of GS plate and knees, but bugger that haha!

Nice! Alright, now I wanna see some paint on those bad boys!

Ah see I loathe painting haha!

Really awesome man can't wait to see more stuff keep the pics coming!

Thanks mate! Will Endeavour to! 

I'm very curious about your scaling %. :tongue.:

As am I haha. Bloody Chitubox 'resets' the scaled number after you've increased the size.

I can tell you the chest plate is 11mm from chest strap holder to chest strap holder (up the top) that I think I put to 110%.. so probably around 12.1 mm across haha