Raven's Watch - A Veteran returns...

SCC

Long time no post...

First WIP mini in literally years below.

Raven's Watch Marine, they're an RG Chapter with mostly black armour with sky blue shoulder pads, orange trim and gold aquila according to GW. I'm not sold on the orange trim just yet so am trying bronze/gold for now.

For those who remember my old armies, you may remember I'm one of those painters whose a but like the modern US Army - I overwhelmed my enemies (bare plastic and resin) with technology and sheer firepower. I used to have hundreds of paints, a dedicated painting area, a dozen brushes, files galore, MV grief lenses, a decent camera and lighting setup and a parts box to make you weep.

Used to....

This fella on the other hand, well, I have one paint brush, 8 pots of paint, an Xacto scalpel, an Ikea lamp, a camera phone and a coffee table!

gallery_385_15825_35666.jpeg

gallery_385_15825_52317.jpeg

gallery_385_15825_38775.jpeg

Lots of work to go, and I'm not expecting to replicate Shadow Force Dragomir or my old Brazen Claws but, it's nice to put bristle to plastic once again!

So great to see you painting again. Your Shadow Force Dragomir was a one of the first armies I remember following on the B&C back in the day. It’s still on the first few pages of the most viewed tab in the W.I.P forum - a testament to your skill and dedication. Did you quit the hobby for a while? Is that why you got rid of your stuff?

I ask because I did much the same, I cleared out a whole bunch of stuff and didn’t do much for awhile, but over the last year or two I’ve been collecting and building back up bits and pieces.

Peace

Thanks for the welcome back lads.

@Jim : Thanks for those very kind words..can't believe Dragomir is that viewed after all this time! To be fair, it did run three years and I was an Admin (and everyone likes to check what those sneaky Admins are up to!), so maybe not so surprising after all...

And yes, left the hobby for a variety of reasons, but I've come back looking for a little mental peace and quiet - painting always used to offer that so figured I'd try it again...here's hoping.

Thanks Burt!

@Duz: Well, for now, just trying to get a scheme down with limited equipment, colours etc., but hopefully soon...

Minor update, first trial scheme done (needs decals, matt varnishing, backpack etc., but pretty happy with the blue and the black):

gallery_385_15825_14876.jpeg

gallery_385_15825_13697.jpeg

gallery_385_15825_3624.jpeg

gallery_385_15825_6171.jpeg

Even deciding to work with limited supplies, I think I need a dark blue wash, a brown wash and some sort of brown leather colour for holsters etc. - that would also be useful for eyes.

But, I think I'm getting some of the old skills back, still need to work on neatness and I miss retarder and flow aid and having 3 lights and all that, but I really enjoyed painting this guy and that was the whole point, so, win!

Oh, and I need some basing materials too...

• 2 weeks later...