Repulsor vs impulsor

WickedJester1013

To get some primaris up to the front lines, which tank is better for transporting? I know the Repulsor can hold 10, bu the impulsor is so much cheaper. Are the guns on the Repulsor enough to outweighs the fact that you can basically take 3 impulsora for the same pts? Also I’m asking from the point of view of the white scars chapter.

Starting up some marines for the first time in 4 editions so forgive me if these are basic questions.

If the goal is strictly transporting marines, go with the Impulsor. 

They have different roles, despite both being transports. You choose a Repulsor for its guns. You want the firepower a Repulsor can dish out. The transport capacity is just a bonus. An Impulsor's role is to rush units up the board quickly. They have a little firepower, but it's not significant. Although you could potentially use them for the orbital bombardment. 

What are you transporting? Aggressors are some of the very best infantry units you can run and they need a Repulsor.

Also there are ways to make a Repulsor harder to deal with, eg: make it T9, -1 to hit, etc

But you also need to have other units to also divert attention or provide redundancy.

Edited by Ishagu

Impulsor if you want rapid deployment of a shooty or objective capturing unit with some protection (the 4++ is great!). Repulsor if you don't care much for rapid deployment or want to transport Gravis armoured Marines and prefer having some heavy fire support for the deployed squads.

I accidentally wrote a 2k primaris only brigade list with impulsors today:

Space Marine brigade detachment, 2000 pts

HQ

Phobos Captain, cloak, carbine - 99

Phobos Captain, cloak, carbine - 99

Primaris Lieutnant, mastercrafted stalker bolt rifle - 70

STD

5x Intercessor, bolt rifle - 85

5x Intercessor, (stalker) bolt rifle - 85

5x Intercessor, (stalker) bolt rifle - 85

(dedicated transports)

Impulsor, 2x stormbolter, ironhail-stubber, bellicatus-ML - 102

Elite

3x Aggressors, Boltstormfists, Fragstormlauncher - 111

Fast Attack

3x Suppressors, Accelerator Autocannon - 84

3x Suppressors, Accelerator Autocannon - 84

3x Inceptors, assaultbolters - 109

Heavy Support

3x Eliminators, 2x bolt sniper, 1x carbine, cloaks - 74

Tactic:

sit everything on/near home objectives, block deepstrikers with phobos caps, use impulsors to drop intercessors on far objectives, harass enemy with suppressors & eliminators.

I'd be inclined to go with iron hands for this list to move the impulsors without a to-hit modifier (also fnp).

... well, that is, if I didn't make any errors calculating points

While it is quite TAC, it's lacking AT firepower.

The usual battalion + Repulsor lists look stronger.

As a White Scar player I think I'd go with the repulsor. White scars have a strat that lets them jump out of any transport after it moves (apart from a Storm Raven). So you can essentially have the same benefit an impulsor gives you (generally putting some hellblasters in rapid fire range) with all the repulsor's firepower.

I'm not too impressed by the impulsor because it has negligible firepower of its own. There are certainly uses for a flying box with a 4++, like charging eldar flyers to soak overwatch before a smash captain goes in, but you'd arguably be better off spending the points on guns instead.

As a White Scar player I think I'd go with the repulsor. White scars have a strat that lets them jump out of any transport after it moves (apart from a Storm Raven). So you can essentially have the same benefit an impulsor gives you (generally putting some hellblasters in rapid fire range) with all the repulsor's firepower.

I'm not too impressed by the impulsor because it has negligible firepower of its own. There are certainly uses for a flying box with a 4++, like charging eldar flyers to soak overwatch before a smash captain goes in, but you'd arguably be better off spending the points on guns instead.

The Impulsor is also a sub 100 pt chasis, of course it doesn’t have the firepower of a Repulsor at 300 ish pts. For the same price you get 18 capacity to transport your troops IF you take the sheild array or 24 if you don’t. The Impulsor is a cheap transport while the Repulsor is an infantry fighting vehicle, and the Repulsor is a do everything Tank with transport capacity. They each have their rolls.

The Impulsor is also a sub 100 pt chasis, of course it doesn’t have the firepower of a Repulsor at 300 ish pts. For the same price you get 18 capacity to transport your troops IF you take the sheild array or 24 if you don’t. The Impulsor is a cheap transport while the Repulsor is an infantry fighting vehicle, and the Repulsor is a do everything Tank with transport capacity. They each have their rolls.

That’s true of course. Impulsors let you transport more troops and with more durability for their price.

My issue with them is that they have negligible firepower of their own. Whatever they’re transporting (and hellblasters are the only thing that really makes sense here) has to therefore do more killing to make up for the portion of your points spent on impulsors, which do very little.

Basically I find it better to just buy more units with guns of their own rather than to cart units around in boxes like this. I don’t like hellblasters quite enough to spend this much on them.

But you don't get them for the firepower. Just like you don't get Rhinos or Drop Pods for their firepower. You get them to transport stuff.

Also killing is not the only thing units can do in a game. Claiming objectives, blocking paths, blocking Line of Sight, denying deep strike in an area, protecting the unit inside all are important things too. So if you just disembark a unit of Hellblasters and then push the Impulsor to the side and ignore it for the rest of the game they ofcourse need to compensate for the Impulsor, however if you use the Impulsor to prevent the opponent to get on objectives by blocking paths, protect other units by blocking LoS or prevent units from shooting by charging them, it easily pulls its own weight in a game. You could also put some Intercessors in it to rapidly deploy on Objectives for a cheap obsec unit with 2+ save in cover and decent shooting.

That’s true of course. Impulsors let you transport more troops and with more durability for their price.

My issue with them is that they have negligible firepower of their own. Whatever they’re transporting (and hellblasters are the only thing that really makes sense here) has to therefore do more killing to make up for the portion of your points spent on impulsors, which do very little.

Basically I find it better to just buy more units with guns of their own rather than to cart units around in boxes like this. I don’t like hellblasters quite enough to spend this much on them.

My plan for impulsors, after they drop off hellblasters, is to make them play bumper cars with other units to deny their shooting, which it will do nicely with a 4 up invuln.

My plan for impulsors, after they drop off hellblasters, is to make them play bumper cars with other units to deny their shooting, which it will do nicely with a 4 up invuln.

I think I'll probably just use them for mobile Veteran Intercessor squads with hidden Fists or Hammers that can fly across the board quickly.

Mostly because I think that looks cool lol

I think I'll probably just use them for mobile Veteran Intercessor squads with hidden Fists or Hammers that can fly across the board quickly.

Mostly because I think that looks cool lol

Yes, that is pretty cool.  May do the same thing once in awhile.  lol.  Thanks for the idea.

Yeah that works. I do it all the time with my repulsors. I also shoot stuff with them.

Anyway we’ll see how good impulsors are when they start hitting tables. My first impression is that they don’t stand out as particularly good in any obvious situation. That’s not to say that they’re bad, just that they might not be great.

Personally I don’t think they’ll be that influential. This edition doesn’t seem to particularly favour any transport vehicles actually working as transports - though there’s a place for IFVs like wave serpents and repulsors.

It’s a shame the transport capacity is only 6. Moving things like veteran intercessors or reivers around cheaply would have been great, but I can’t see a way that sending just 6 of them will make much difference. Likewise it’s a shame that aggressors don’t fit inside. There might be some weird schenanigans involving moving a load of characters somewhere I guess.

I have to admit that I don’t personally like them much, which probably influences my in-game judgement on them. I never liked having marines go around in rhinos, which don’t seem at all like a sensible transport for elite special forces to use. They’d want to move quickly, be well protected and have some firepower with them. Storm ravens, land raiders and repulsors are what I’d expect a marine transport to look like – not a disposable unarmed tin box.

As someone who is planning to run his chapter as IF, I’m considering the missile array. Ignore cover, do additional damage to vehicles in the devastator doctrine, all at 48 inches away. And I can move if need be. All for 90 something points. I plan to sit it next to my heavy hellblasters. If I buy one lol.

Impulsors with the orbital array might do a number on big castles. Could help a tad against the IH death ball.

Orbital Arrays are an awful choice.

You can only use one a turn, and even at max damage it doesn't do enough to kill any valuable characters outright.  Buying any of them is an invitation to waste 20pts a turn.

Impulsors with the orbital array might do a number on big castles. Could help a tad against the IH death ball.

You can only use one a turn, and even at max damage it doesn't do enough to kill any valuable characters outright.  Buying any of them is an invitation to waste 20pts a turn.

Why? I actually quite like it.

It's a much better choice than the missile array imo. Also the range is unlimited and doesn't require LoS. Also doesn't become worse when moving since it doesn't roll to hit like the missile array would (which is a heavy weapon).

If your opponent has a bunch of units close together  you can do good damage even if it's just once per game. Especially useful against Drones hugging battlesuits out of Line of sight.

It's a crappy rule as 3CP Stratagem but for the few points it costs it's a decent upgrade on Impulsors. Not as good as the 4++ imo but it does have its uses.

You can only use one a turn, and even at max damage it doesn't do enough to kill any valuable characters outright. Buying any of them is an invitation to waste 20pts a turn.

Imagine thinking 20 points should kill a character a turn. You can't actually be serious lol

I wonder how many points the Repulsor would be without the 10 man transport capability, all the extra guns just to be a dakka boat.

It would cost exactly the same.

Transport capacity doesn't appear to have a cost.

Compare a Razorback to a Predator.

It's a common misconception.