Repulsor vs impulsor

WickedJester1013

The more and more I look at the Orbital Array the more I'm excited about it.  Particularly as White Scars.  I would probably not include more than 2 though.

• You can Advance and still use it. 
  • You can be in combat and still use it. (a place where my Impulsor will be quite often) Or you can Fall Back and still use it.
  • It does not need LOS. 
  • It doesn't need a target besides just a point on the battlefield, so it CAN snipe characters
  • It has no range.
  • You can outflank the Impulsor and keep it alive for a guaranteed shooting phase with it.
  • Mortal Wounds are more valuable than ever with the inclusion of things like the Ironstone, (or Wave Serpents) which will be (and are) very popular.
  • It's part of a wide variety of ranged, non-psychic mortal wound abilities like Hunter-Slayer Missile, Flakk Missile, Hellfire Shells, etc.
  • Combined with Tremor Shells+Suppression Fire, Blasting Gale, Tenebrous Curse, and the speed to get your units into the enemy lines Turn 1, it's very possible to keep your opponent hemmed up somewhere to rip him multiple times with this.

I think overall, if I were only including Impulsors and no other vehicle (read: target of opponent's anti-tank) then I would put the shield dome on, but I do rate these very highly.

Edited by MeltaRange

The more and more I look at the Orbital Array the more I'm excited about it.  Particularly as White Scars.  I would probably not include more than 2 though.

• You can Advance and still use it. 
  • You can be in combat and still use it. (a place where my Impulsor will be quite often) Or you can Fall Back and still use it.
  • It does not need LOS. 
  • It doesn't need a target besides just a point on the battlefield, so it CAN snipe characters
  • It has no range.
  • You can outflank the Impulsor and keep it alive for a guaranteed shooting phase with it.
  • Mortal Wounds are more valuable than ever with the inclusion of things like the Ironstone, (or Wave Serpents) which will be (and are) very popular.
  • It's part of a wide variety of ranged, non-psychic mortal wound abilities like Hunter-Slayer Missile, Flakk Missile, Hellfire Shells, etc.
  • Combined with Tremor Shells+Suppression Fire, Blasting Gale, Tenebrous Curse, and the speed to get your units into the enemy lines Turn 1, it's very possible to keep your opponent hemmed up somewhere to rip him multiple times with this.

I think overall, if I were only including Impulsors and no other vehicle (read: target of opponent's anti-tank) then I would put the shield dome on, but I do rate these very highly.

Great breakdown - but I'd like to point out that the Impulsor doesn't care about falling back. It won't incur a penalty because it has Fly

I think there is some value in "not having your eggs in one basket". Put you cheap Intercessors in Repulsors if you need to get them from A to B. Put your expensive Hellblasters in an Impulsor with a 4++ so they can screech forwards and leap out to roast something. Most armies can down a Marine Transport in a single phase without breaking a sweat so the key is to deny them obvious targets and ensure something with "bite" survives.

I am using them in my IH heavy force right now using rhinos as a sub in right now. Hellblasters seem like a good choice with a P.Captain. I have been using Intercessors with the assault bolters and they are ok for a quick surprise. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to try them out. So far I have only used the missile launcher version since I prefer consistent damage every turn as opposed to one slightly bigger shot once. I do like the list above and might have to give something similar a go.

I wonder about the real world cost of the impulsor. If it's £50+ they may not appear that much in the game.

I think its cost is going to be a factor as well. I could see it in the same price range as the Admech transport and that would effect how common it is. Personally I prefer the repulsor ruleswise because I mainly run primaris and I want to take advantage of their range.

I wonder about the real world cost of the impulsor. If it's £50+ they may not appear that much in the game.

I think its cost is going to be a factor as well. I could see it in the same price range as the Admech transport and that would effect how common it is. Personally I prefer the repulsor ruleswise because I mainly run primaris and I want to take advantage of their range.

Given the AdMech transports are £45, I'd be surprised if the Impulsor ended up being that much. For all those of us (myself included) who are primarily in the hobby for modelling/painting, with gaming only a secondary thing, I'd just pick up another Repulsor over an Impulsor next time I feel like doing a tank - 10% would get you a whole lot more hobby time.

I hope they're more in the range of Predator and Vindicator pricing, down at £37.50.

I accidentally wrote a 2k primaris only brigade list with impulsors today:

Space Marine brigade detachment, 2000 pts

HQ

Phobos Captain, cloak, carbine - 99

Phobos Captain, cloak, carbine - 99

Primaris Lieutnant, mastercrafted stalker bolt rifle - 70

STD

5x Intercessor, bolt rifle - 85

5x Intercessor, (stalker) bolt rifle - 85

5x Intercessor, (stalker) bolt rifle - 85

(dedicated transports)

Impulsor, 2x stormbolter, ironhail-stubber, bellicatus-ML - 102

Elite

3x Aggressors, Boltstormfists, Fragstormlauncher - 111

Fast Attack

3x Suppressors, Accelerator Autocannon - 84

3x Suppressors, Accelerator Autocannon - 84

3x Inceptors, assaultbolters - 109

Heavy Support

3x Eliminators, 2x bolt sniper, 1x carbine, cloaks - 74

Tactic:

sit everything on/near home objectives, block deepstrikers with phobos caps, use impulsors to drop intercessors on far objectives, harass enemy with suppressors & eliminators.

I'd be inclined to go with iron hands for this list to move the impulsors without a to-hit modifier (also fnp).

... well, that is, if I didn't make any errors calculating points

While it is quite TAC, it's lacking AT firepower.

The usual battalion + Repulsor lists look stronger.

When the new 'dex dropped I started experimenting with lists similar to this; in my opinion it'd be more effective/efficient to start with a battalion of Vanguards so you can deploy them up the board already with infiltrate rules and not need transports. Then you can man your impulsors/repulsors with the heavy hitters like hellblasters and aggressors, and deliver them more flexibly where they're needed.

Probably gonna be deep into 9th or 10th edition before I have the models to try something like that out, though :biggrin.:

Given the AdMech transports are £45, I'd be surprised if the Impulsor ended up being that much. For all those of us (myself included) who are primarily in the hobby for modelling/painting, with gaming only a secondary thing, I'd just pick up another Repulsor over an Impulsor next time I feel like doing a tank - 10% would get you a whole lot more hobby time.

I hope they're more in the range of Predator and Vindicator pricing, down at £37.50.

I'd say it's also pretty sneaky how they've designed the variants with actual chassis differences too. You could run any of the humble Rhino variations without buying a separate kit by swapping out the turret/doors, but from what I've seen that's not as easy with the new hover tanks.

Edited by Vermintide

Size wise their close enough rhino & impulsor

Using the impulsor to shuffle hellblasters or intercessors to objectives or to remove a certain unit seems the best use at the moment

I accidentally wrote a 2k primaris only brigade list with impulsors today:

Space Marine brigade detachment, 2000 pts HQPhobos Captain, cloak, carbine - 99Phobos Captain, cloak, carbine - 99Primaris Lieutnant, mastercrafted stalker bolt rifle - 70 STD5x Intercessor, bolt rifle - 855x Intercessor, bolt rifle - 855x Intercessor, bolt rifle - 855x Intercessor, bolt rifle - 855x Intercessor, (stalker) bolt rifle - 855x Intercessor, (stalker) bolt rifle - 85 (dedicated transports)Impulsor, 2x stormbolter, ironhail-stubber, bellicatus-ML - 102Impulsor, 2x stormbolter, ironhail-stubber, bellicatus-ML - 102Impulsor, 2x stormbolter, ironhail-stubber, bellicatus-ML - 102Impulsor, 2x stormbolter, ironhail-stubber, bellicatus-ML - 102 Elite3x Aggressors, Boltstormfists, Fragstormlauncher - 1113x Aggressors, Boltstormfists, Fragstormlauncher - 1113x Aggressors, Boltstormfists, Fragstormlauncher - 111 Fast Attack3x Suppressors, Accelerator Autocannon - 843x Suppressors, Accelerator Autocannon - 843x Inceptors, assaultbolters - 109 Heavy Support3x Eliminators, 2x bolt sniper, 1x carbine, cloaks - 743x Eliminators, 2x bolt sniper, 1x carbine, cloaks - 743x Eliminators, 2x bolt sniper, 1x carbine, cloaks - 74 Tactic:sit everything on/near home objectives, block deepstrikers with phobos caps, use impulsors to drop intercessors on far objectives, harass enemy with suppressors & eliminators. I'd be inclined to go with iron hands for this list to move the impulsors without a to-hit modifier (also fnp).  ... well, that is, if I didn't make any errors calculating points
 While it is quite TAC, it's lacking AT firepower. The usual battalion + Repulsor lists look stronger.
When the new 'dex dropped I started experimenting with lists similar to this; in my opinion it'd be more effective/efficient to start with a battalion of Vanguards so you can deploy them up the board already with infiltrate rules and not need transports. Then you can man your impulsors/repulsors with the heavy hitters like hellblasters and aggressors, and deliver them more flexibly where they're needed. Probably gonna be deep into 9th or 10th edition before I have the models to try something like that out, though :D

Given the AdMech transports are £45, I'd be surprised if the Impulsor ended up being that much. For all those of us (myself included) who are primarily in the hobby for modelling/painting, with gaming only a secondary thing, I'd just pick up another Repulsor over an Impulsor next time I feel like doing a tank - 10% would get you a whole lot more hobby time.I hope they're more in the range of Predator and Vindicator pricing, down at £37.50.
I'd say it's also pretty sneaky how they've designed the variants with actual chassis differences too. You could run any of the humble Rhino variations without buying a separate kit by swapping out the turret/doors, but from what I've seen that's not as easy with the new hover tanks.
Swapping the turrets on the impulsor is fairly easy Edited by Thanatos31

I think I've seriously underrated the Impulsor. I might grab three when they come out. Not looking forward to building the tracks, but oh well.

Here's the thing. An impulsor with stubber, AA stubbers and 2 storm bolters has 13/17 shots and costs 90 points. It's a fantastic screening unit, it has real dakka, it's tough for its cost and it can move your guys around. For IH it becomes a fast troop-hunter and for Fists it's a serious threat to flying vehicles (ie most of them in today's meta).

In short it's not a new rhino, it's a new assault cannon razorback that flies and has a -2" charge thingy.

I think I've seriously underrated the Impulsor. I might grab three when they come out. Not looking forward to building the tracks, but oh well.

Here's the thing. An impulsor with stubber, AA stubbers and 2 storm bolters has 13/17 shots and costs 90 points. It's a fantastic screening unit, it has real dakka, it's tough for its cost and it can move your guys around. For IH it becomes a fast troop-hunter and for Fists it's a serious threat to flying vehicles (ie most of them in today's meta).

In short it's not a new rhino, it's a new assault cannon razorback that flies and has a -2" charge thingy.

I am thinking the opposite direction for the Impulsor. Stock, with just a shield dome, an Apothecary embarked, and in reserve. The idea is counter deep strike, getting the targeted unit back in the fight, while the tank blocks some line of sight. The Apothecary can disembark during movement (assault vehicle), and he heals at the end of the movement phase. Thereafter, he either jumps back in and rides to his next call, or gives the guys a ride to a better location.

I am thinking the opposite direction for the Impulsor. Stock, with just a shield dome, an Apothecary embarked, and in reserve. The idea is counter deep strike, getting the targeted unit back in the fight, while the tank blocks some line of sight. The Apothecary can disembark during movement (assault vehicle), and he heals at the end of the movement phase. Thereafter, he either jumps back in and rides to his next call, or gives the guys a ride to a better location.

I do not even care if that sounds relatively weak (because the healing is relatively weak), I love the visuals. 

Ambulance Force is now a plan...

It’s a shame that the transport frame holds less than the tank frame lol. Which is silly if you think about it because the two tanks are similar sizes right? So they take off all the guns and ammo of the tank, and even remove part of the roof to make it opened top and some how that loses almost half its transport spaces? Gotta wonder what Cawl was thinking.

It’s a shame that the transport frame holds less than the tank frame lol. Which is silly if you think about it because the two tanks are similar sizes right? So they take off all the guns and ammo of the tank, and even remove part of the roof to make it opened top and some how that loses almost half its transport spaces? Gotta wonder what Cawl was thinking.

Impulsor is much, much smaller.

I do not even care if that sounds relatively weak (because the healing is relatively weak), I love the visuals.

Ambulance Force is now a plan...

Yes, I love the idea behind this!

I really want someone to paint an Impuslor up as an ambulance. That would be absolutely amazing. I probably couldn't being myself to shoot at it in games, on principle...

Would that idea have any merit? Could you bring a pair of apothecaries, and/or maybe a strong melee character (Pri Chaplain w the relic of holy head hitting) or bodyguard unit of auto Intercessors (assuming a single apothecary) to help clear out the enemy problem? It might be nice even as an objective holder...

For paint, I figure white on the indentation on the front, under the driver's port, and that wraps around the sides, and white on the flat vertical panels on the sides of the rear thrusters. Apothecary helix in red painted on the white fields. Would look really good contrasting black, or dark blue Impulsors.

To bring a squad along, why not Infiltrators with their own Helix Adept. Expensive, yes, and a waste of concealed positions, but you could drop another troop with ObSec on that backfield or midfield objective. Just saying.

Thank you all for not ridiculing my idea. I appreciate that. Also, imagine the Impulsor if/when a Primaris Techmarine that is not in Gravis Armor is released. Wouldn't that pair nicely with Invictus Suits?

For paint, I figure white on the indentation on the front, under the driver's port, and that wraps around the sides, and white on the flat vertical panels on the sides of the rear thrusters. Apothecary helix in red painted on the white fields. Would look really good contrasting black, or dark blue Impulsors.

To bring a squad along, why not Infiltrators with their own Helix Adept. Expensive, yes, and a waste of concealed positions, but you could drop another troop with ObSec on that backfield or midfield objective. Just saying.

Thank you all for not ridiculing my idea. I appreciate that. Also, imagine the Impulsor if/when a Primaris Techmarine that is not in Gravis Armor is released. Wouldn't that pair nicely with Invictus Suits?

It's a pretty interesting idea that I think is totally fun and cool, if 8th edition wasn't already so deadly from the very beginning of the game folks might play these quirky yet fun list concepts.

Case in point, war com posted a cool phobos specific list that used 4 Impulsors just as small Infantry support vehicles. They didn't really suggest or imply they were there specifically to transport things turn 1. That definitely plays into your rapid response concept a bit too for mid game redeployment. That list looks fun and fluffy, but you'd likely never see it when you can have things like sneaky assault Centurions or Dorn's moving castle or the Iron Air Force.

Edited by Lemondish

It's a pretty interesting idea that I think is totally fun and cool, if 8th edition wasn't already so deadly from the very beginning of the game folks might play these quirky yet fun list concepts.

Case in point, war com posted a cool phobos specific list that used 4 Impulsors just as small Infantry support vehicles. They didn't really suggest or imply they were there specifically to transport things turn 1. That definitely plays into your rapid response concept a bit too for mid game redeployment. That list looks fun and fluffy, but you'd likely never see it when you can have things like sneaky assault Centurions or Dorn's moving castle or the Iron Air Force.

Yeah, I know. There are those of us, kinda beardy, established professionals. We have good, if not great, collections, and we never play an unpainted model. We know our armies, and our rules. The obvious cheese jumps out at us. How do you not win with a limburger list?! We don't see the point of playing a game that is a forgone conclusion. If a list is so broken that it crushes everybody at my game store, then what is the point of playing it?! Like I said, established professional, already winning at life. Nice place to live, in a nice area, nice cars to drive, gorgeous wife with a career of her own, somebody stop me... I just want to get out, have a fun game that could go either way, and discuss the lore and setting we all love. No need to club baby seals. No need to be a poor sport. I even keep the heckling of Tau players good-natured. I guess I am just too used to private 40K hobby clubs, having got tired of childish, wanna-be tournament players at some game stores.

Anyways, I digress. Yes, rapid response can be quite the utility. The ambulance idea is unconventional to be sure. However, between Auspex Scan, and "Ambulance Force" if an opponent in your local meta wants to successfully deep strike to delete a unit, or two, then that opponent has to make sure they can weather the intercept fire, and for sure delete their target before dying. In game terms, sink more points into a unit that will not last more than two turns, or make them completely disposable.

Now, let's say he has more than one option to deep strike into your deployment zone, and you can respond to any of them quickly on your turn. A savvy player, will try to make you choose one flank or the other, knowing that it will be late game by the time you reach the other side of the board, if you even get there, even with a 14" move.

Also, keep in mind, that if you are playing long edge vs long edge, and "all" your ambulance is doing is healing, it may not be getting shot up all that much. Late game, make a bee line for deep in their deployment zone. How much fire will they throw at that Ambulance, with its 4++, to avoid giving up Linebreaker? Seriously, anybody else ever win a game by a single Victory Point?

Impulsor is much, much smaller.
gallery_101673_15739_27075.jpeg