Da Mekboy Workshop for Da Waaagh! 2019

DeRome90

Hey there you Gitz!

after my failing during my first ETL, I want to redeem myself during the currently running DA WAAAGH. Although some other Bosses and myself discuessed a little bit about a possible Ork-Event after ETL, Captain Semper beat us to it and created da Waaagh.

Still, I think there is a very important part of the Ork life missing in this event: Building/Conversions.

I personally prefer building stuff instead of painting it (which might be the reason for my huge backlog). And as any Ork player/Mek might know, you can build anything because it will work out... eventually.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with hosting an event, so I am open to criticism and suggestions. I thought it would be nice to inspire the participants of Da Waaagh to go the extra mile and build the units they want to vow for the painting event and compete with other aspiring Mekboys. Here are my suggestions:

DURATION:
Start date: Orktober 1st, 2019

End date: Nobvember 30th, 2019

Participants may enter any time.

RULES:

• The entries must be supported by the W40k Ork faction on the B&C. (so everything Orky from GW and FW - except AI. Fortifications and Looted Knights/Titans are the only exception, although they won't be eligible for the Waaagh)
  • You must start by making one vow with at least one game-legal unit. There is no limit to the number of units per vow or how many vows you make, but the vows must be sequential. You must complete a vow before you start the next one. Be careful to complete your vows. If any of your vows fail, you will be an Oiler Grot who bit off more than he can chew.
  • You must provide evidence of progress. So a "before" and "after" picture for each unit pledged. WIP pics are welcomed and encouraged.
  • Scratch building is allowed, but be sure to keep the right dimensions and stay true to WYSIWYG! A Morkanaut count-as-Stompa is still no proba Stompa!

As mentioned above, each uprising Mek/participant is required to make a binding vow. Please use the standard format below or any other similar format that will contain the vital information:

I [enter your name] will join da Mekboy Workshop and vow to complete [enter number and details of units] before Nobvember 30th 2019. If I do so successfully, I will receive the rank I deserve in the Mekboy Workshop and continue to bild stuff for the Waaagh. If I fail, I'll prove I'm a lowly Oiler Grot!

Once a vow is posted, there is no going back. If you fail, no matter the reason, you will be labled as an Oiler Grot.

REWARDS:

All of you who successfully complete their pledged vows in time, will be awarded the appropriate rank (possible Badges in the link):

1 Ork Unit: Burna

2-3 Ork Units: Mekboy

4 Ork Units: Big Mek

5+ Ork Units:  Mega Big Mek

And for the best conversion/scratch build in the vowed units, there will be an extra reward: The Mad Mek! 

The title of best conversion will be awarded to the finished conversion with the most likes.

As mentioned above, if you shame Mork (or maybe Gork) with not fullfilling your vows, you will be labled as an Oiler Grot and need to bear this badge of shame:

Oiler Grot

DeRome's Notes:

While highly encouraged, you do not need to paint/vow the units you pledged in the Mekboy Workshop for the Waaagh!. This event exists to inspire you to build new Ork units and challenges you to an even higher level of conversion, befitting a Mekboy.

If anyone want to provide better badges, just PM me... these are the first ones I made.

@Captain Semper: Sorry for hijacking your event! If you have any suggestions how to integrate these two events together (or anything else), just message me.

So get to your drafting tables and plan your creations, before Orktober starts! Until then, you can discuss your plans in this thread.

Best regards,

DeRome

List of participants (alphabetical order)

DeRome90

- 1 unit of 5 Stormboyz (Vow complete)

toaae

- 1 Dakkajet (Failed)

The_Chaplain

- 1 Battlewagon with Supa Kannon (Vow 1 complete)

- 1 unit of Grot Tanks (Vow 1 complete)

- 1 Warboss on Bike (Vow 1 complete)

- 1 unit of Grots (Vow 2 complete)

- 1 Mega Grot Tank (Vow 2 complete)

- 1 Gorkanaut (Vow 2 complete)

Urauloth

- 1 Unit of 10 Nobz (Vow complete)

Edited by DeRome90

• 2 weeks later...

As for the first of Orktober, I would like to start with the first, (but hopefully not last) vow for this event:

I, DeRome90, will join da Mekboy Workshop and vow to complete 1 Unit of 5 Stormboyz before Nobvember 30th 2019. If I do so successfully, I will receive the rank I deserve in the Mekboy Workshop and continue to bild stuff for the Waaagh. If I fail, I'll prove I'm a lowly Oiler Grot!

Here is the picture of the parts/spures I will use:

20190927 215934

I want to note that this event allows a certain amount of progress in your building process. Everyone of us has an unfinished project somewhere, especially Ork players (or is it just me?). Below examples for an allowed respectively not allowed entry.
Allowed

DSC05814

Not Allowed as there is too much progress

DSC05811

Edited by DeRome90

I, toaae, will join da Mekboy Workshop and vow to complete a Dakkajet before Nobvember 30th 2019. If I do so successfully, I will receive the rank I deserve in the Mekboy Workshop and continue to build stuff for the Waaagh! If I fail, I'll prove I'm a lowly Oiler Grot!

(pic to come when I get the kit)

Edited by toaae

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to post this a few days ago and completely forgot, but here's my "before" pic of a pile of Nobz sprues:

BPWpWSV.jpg?1

So I, Urauloth, vow to complete these gits before November 30th. There'll actually be 10 of them because I have another box on order, and I'll be converting one into a Kommando bossnob for Kill Team.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I wasn't able to finish this up and post earlier folks-- had a bad bout of Pneumonia that took me out of commission for a few weeks.  Still, here they are all built and ready for paint!

A humble squad of grots and their runtherd:

49112107682_7135548905.jpg

The girthy Gorkanaut:

49111910806_0d93428e61.jpg

The grot mega tank with converted/kitbashed main turret and side sponsons:

49111396863_501bd111ec_z.jpg

A close up of the turret (the "commander" peeking out is from the smaller grot tank kit, don't like the one that comes with the mega tank. The "cannon" is from the ork flyer box)

49112099312_8cc0304144_z.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the sponsons-- the big shootas are also from the ork flyer box:

49111902291_7319cfd2e8.jpg

And a bonus Wazbom Blastajet!

49112130912_b4502648c9_z.jpg

That's gonna do it for me folks-- gotta focus on my vow for the Waagh painting event.  Thanks for hosting this event DeRome90!

Last minute and not a very good picture, but here's 10 gitz as promised, including a kommando nob with a knife and backback.

ziqK4sQ.jpg

I'll make a thread for my Ork warband at some point and try to get better pictures of them, I spent quite a long time adding small details like rivets, scars and and implants and it's impossible to see that here. Making these guys has been such a blast I'm already getting my next Ork off the sprue.

Edited by Urauloth

It seems like there was a problem with my post yesterday. So I will post it again.

Here are my 5 Stormboyz. I used the Dark Eldar Helion bits to create some kind of Kite-Surfing Moscha-Boyz. I saw such an conversion somewhere in the www and had to try it myself. Except the greenstuff exhaust fumes, they should be fine.

Here is a WIP picture, which I think shows how hard it is for the Boyz to keep on their vehicles.

Stormboyz wip

And the finished ones:

Stormboyzs Finished

It was quite hard to fix them on their bases... especially if there is no super glue left in the whole appartment :sweat:

Oh no! I done goofed!

I'm planning on knocking out the whole dakkajet, assembly and painting, in one weekend. But I forgot this ended at the the end of November! I will wear my grot oiler badge with much humility and take my lumps from the bigger, stronger, better-able-to-recognize-the-calendar bosses.

Great to see all the grey plastic that got posted here :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see all of these minis painted.

@Urauloth: They really look like a force you should be aware of on the battlefied. 

@toaae: I am a little bit sad to see that you could not finish his vow, but I think you learnt your lesson... as all Grots will do sooner or later :wink:

I hope you will vow your Dakkajet for the painting event.

So now the question who is the "Mad Mek" remains. I would suggest The_Chaplain, as he is not only a "Mega Big Mek" due to his great contribution, but he also seems to have some Grot fetish (half his vows are about Grots :wacko.:). Is anyone against it?

So now the question who is the "Mad Mek" remains. I would suggest The_Chaplain, as he is not only a "Mega Big Mek" due to his great contribution, but he also seems to have some Grot fetish (half his vows are about Grots :wacko.:). Is anyone against it?

Sounds good to me!

I humbly accept the appointment of Mad Mek, and would wear the badge with honor.  Also, every Waaagh needs some grots- (the scrap tank and mega tank were birthday presents haha).  If you really wanna see the depth of madness, here's a list of everything I've built since July outside of this competition, spoilered for you your collective sanity I assure you!

Megatrakk Scrapjet

Rukkatrukk Squigbuggy

Boomdakka Snazzwagon

Deffkilla Wartrike

Kustom Boosta Blasta

Shokkjump Dragsta

Kill Bursta

Chinork Warkopta

15 Warbikers

3 Nob bikers

2 Plastic warbosses

1 Weird Boy

40 Choppa Boyz

5 Flash Gitz

15 Lootaz

Ork Halftrakk

Ork Trukk

Ork Trukk with enclosed cab

Ork Big Trakk

And more is on the way.... WAAAAAGH!  (Well, I say that- but I still need to finish my vow for Semper's ork contest. Hopefully I'll knock that out tonight haha)

Edited by The_Chaplain