Knights

Murdicus

I suggest to buy the Knight Preceptor kit since it comes with all the options you need. I have found that the best loadout for a generic support unit is 2x Avenger Gatling Canon and the Stormspear Rocket Pod. The Knight Desecrator, the Chaos kit, is limited in its application since it is best used if you can pair it with two War Dogs. A Knight Rampager, the melee variant of the Chaos Knight kit is good as a distraction but not more than that. 

I had a moderate success with 2x Battlecannon and 2x Thermal Knight. They work best when fielded in support of lists which lack dedicated Antitank weapons, Thousand Sons for example. 

No single Knight kit has every option. The Preceptor has the most options, as Espresso said. The Abhorrent kit only has weapons for the Desecrator and Rampager, and the Valiant/Castellan lits each only have one loadout.

Definitely get the Preceptor if you are looking for weapon options, as it has 1 of each of them except for the Desecrator's laser, which is pretty crappy with its current rules and point cost.

I mean, seeing as how Chaos Knights don't have Las Impulsor (even though the fluff for the Preceptor says the Dark Mech have an STC for it....), and the Knight Desecrator has the EXACT SAME RULES as the Preceptor, I think the fact that the Laser Destructor=Las Impulsor mirror is supposed to be clear :lol:

However, yes, the Laser is a bit overcosted and crappy. The relic version, The Diamonas, however is not. :lol:

I mean, seeing as how Chaos Knights don't have Las Impulsor (even though the fluff for the Preceptor says the Dark Mech have an STC for it....), and the Knight Desecrator has the EXACT SAME RULES as the Preceptor, I think the fact that the Laser Destructor=Las Impulsor mirror is supposed to be clear :laugh.:

That's good to know - I haven't read the Imperial Knights codex, and none of my regular opponents play imperials (they both play xenos - one plays orks, the other necron), so I didn't know how the two weapons compared stats wise.  Certainly that makes converting the Preceptor gun into the Desecrator  one more viable.

I mean, seeing as how Chaos Knights don't have Las Impulsor (even though the fluff for the Preceptor says the Dark Mech have an STC for it....), and the Knight Desecrator has the EXACT SAME RULES as the Preceptor, I think the fact that the Laser Destructor=Las Impulsor mirror is supposed to be clear :laugh.:

That's good to know - I haven't read the Imperial Knights codex, and none of my regular opponents play imperials (they both play xenos - one plays orks, the other necron), so I didn't know how the two weapons compared stats wise.  Certainly that makes converting the Preceptor gun into the Desecrator  one more viable.

Not an exact counterpart, but the comparison can be made. The Las Impulsor is basically a Laser Shotgun, whereas the Laser Destructor is much longer ranged.

The guns don't compare stats wise.

My comment was saying that Laser Destructor=Las Impulsor was because they're specifically on a Knight with a specific rules set. The Desecrator and Preceptor both have rules buffing the small Knights around them. That's what I was referring to.

Edited by Gederas

I just went through this myself, it depends on what you want the model t o look like at the end of the project and the time and budget you're willing to throw at it. Cost wise, I'd get a preceptor or warden for 1x all armaments except the laser. If you're good at converting, that's probably most of what you need.

If you want to buy parts instead of converting, you can get the Chaos knight carapace and face plate for less than buying rapid fire battle cannons, carapace missiles and avengers, so I'd start with the standard knight core and add chaos armor instead of Chaos core+armor and adding armaments.

Also, consider forgefiend Hades Autocannon as an alternative to avengers, it's about 1/4 cost and sits in the mount with minimal cutting

Initially I was worried about to begin with a Chaos Knight collection but it ended being a simple affair. I have purchased the new Chaos Desecrator kit, a Knight Preceptor kit, had the old FW Chaos Knight and then I simply added two Helverins/Armigers. I asked around my local community and I ended with more spare weapons and gatling cannons that I could use. I did the same thing with chaos bitz (since the Chaos Knight kit is scarce on this matter) and I got quite a lot of them from the old chaos vehicles upgrade sprues. 

And I have already played my first tournament with the Chaos Knights with a solid list in no time. 

I think that the best investment is a Knight Preceptor kit.