Getting the most out of Tactical Expertise

Captain Idaho

I've been mulling over this and it looks like one of our "big things". The big knock out punch Strategum that is so important it is once per game.

Problem is, I just don't think I can make much use out of it using my combined arms response army.

What could we do to get the most out of it, which units benefit most and how to create lists that take advantage of it.

The quick answer I feel is "take a lot of bolter troops" but the problem I have with this is such a thing weakens your over all firepower somewhat. Relying on bolters to kill high end targets always ends badly.

That said, Centurions, Aggressors and other high rate of fire shots can make the most of this Strategum. We don't want to waste it on say just 5 bolter dudes rapid firing after all!

What do folk think about this?

I found in one game that centurions and a Landraider Crusader benefited greatly from this. Anything that take a hurricane bolter really.

It pretty much boils down to me is all the high volume shots you can get, those I mentioned, and like you have. Aggressors, Inceptors especially with their S5 Ap1 shots. If you have the CP, Intercessors with bolt rifles getting 40 shots for a squad is nice, as well as the assault bolters 3 shots. I'm interested in getting an Ironclad Dread and putting hurricane bolters on it as well.

Pretty much what I've thought of so far.

Stick Storm Bolters on 2 full units of Sternguard and drop pod them in turn 2 when the Tactical Doctrine has been activated. 4 shots each up to 24”, get ol’ Captain Vengeance in range to help out and bam.

I don’t find the special issue boltguns all that really, yeah the ap is nice when it’s down to -3 or -4 but as we know in the current game rate of shots is best and for 2 points extra per model you’re looking at 160 per squad plus 65 for the pod. Plus do you need that much ap if you can’t wound tougher targets being only strength 4?

Totally with you on the Hurricane Bolters but can we spam these in a meaningful way without losing the effectiveness of our lists like you say?

It's not easy to do. Centurions are an obvious choice and you can add things like an Ironclad to the mix but spamming isn't easy.

Bikers are an option of course. They have quite good firepower and are pretty difficult to remove whilst having a Chainsword potentially. (Poor old Assault Marines...)

I quite like Company Veterans. With a Storm Shield and Storm Bolter, 5 come in at 90pts and their firepower combined with invulnerable saves makes for a surprisingly good unit.

Perhaps 2 such units coming out of a Drop Pod would make a splash? 40 shots is nice, though you might want to drop one for a Captain.

It's just a hard ask wanting to fish for 6s.

I figure I'll be using it when I have a shot at clearing a lot of infantry. It's not so you can down a titan or vehicles, but getting -2 or -3 AP on shots going in on infantry, you can do some real hurt.

I didn't use it my last game, because with Orks, you usually don't need more than -1 AP to kill off the boyz, but I see against marines, Tau, and Drukhari, the other armies my friends play, popping that strat could very well mean no saves for at least the non power armored armies.

It's brutal on Scout Bikers, because both the twin bolter on the bike and the shotgun on the rider get the bonus. 6 shots each within 12", the mobility to get there and not that high on target priority for an opponent so good chance they'll all get there. And it's not like Scout Bikers are bad without it.