Centurion games vs Deception games in 30k

m0nolith

So if Vkyes is allowed to go off topic ... my only regular opponent is my young son. Now since I can’t keep a lid on my competitive instinct, I take a leaf from my dad’s book. When he taught me chess, he played without his queen. Now I try to make deliberately “not the most competitive” Warhammer lists, with the idea being the game should be exciting and close and I will not win all the time! I really hope our armies get big enough to try Centurion. I don’t think he gets enough pocket-money for a Black Book though, so Deception will have to wait. Edited by LameBeard

... attraction of Centurion mode, to make tactical useful. IMHO, just giving tacticals access to meltabombs would really change things up. Perhaps give them some sort of rule of “limited supply”, and only allow half the squad to attack with them.

Cadmus

I really like this idea. I would do it like special weapons in other squads: one model in five (plus sergeant) can have melta bombs. Most of us have a few on the sprue, so fun little conversion for WYSIWYG. It gives them a little more bite and makes an AV opponent think twice, but doesn’t turn them into a mob looking to go mugging tanks. Seems consistent with fluff too - Tacticals are meant to be flexible and useful in all theatres. (Picture legionnaire before deployment pleading with Techmarine quartermaster - “please sir, just one more meltabomb” “do you know how expensive these are? You’d better not waste it like last time”.)

I see now that to play Centurion “as God intended” we need to play Shadow War missions and that means Black Book 6? Might have to start saving that pocket money. In the meantime, still digging the idea of infantry-heavy, terrain-dense 2nd edition aesthetic.