Fierros appreciation, conversion ideas and show off thread

TrawlingCleaner

In preparation for the new model being released tomorrow I thought I'd make a thread where people who like the model, have some conversion ideas or tweaks they want to make to the model and for people to show off their version of him. Obviously there's a separate thread for his rules side and this is purely a modelling/painting appreciation thread.

I really love this new model, honestly way better than I thought it would be. When we were shown previews way back, just the image of the model alone was enough to get me back into my space marine army. That said there's a couple of things I would like to change mainly:

1) that weird block thing near the bottom of the axe

2) the dangle claw

3) his face

1 and 2 are easy fixes for me. Just switching the dangle claw for something more fixed, maybe the claw from a rocket launcher backpack or the new havoc kit and cutting off that box on the axe. 3 is a bit more difficult because of the way I want to do it. I basically want to replace his face with a visor helmet from the inceptor kit. It may now be more of a pain because the gravis hood is further back.

What are your thoughts on the model? Got any ideas for conversions? Post your versions for the Sons of Ferrus to appreciate

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

I plan on using him for my Deathwatch, possibly as a "counts as" aggressor. axe head swap with thunder hammer (rule of cool) possibly lose the claw, add grenade launcher and swap shoulder pads around a bit.

might swap the head too.

That's a cool idea, I also think he'd work really well as a watch master too

I plan on using him for my Deathwatch, possibly as a "counts as" aggressor. axe head swap with thunder hammer (rule of cool) possibly lose the claw, add grenade launcher and swap shoulder pads around a bit.

might swap the head too.

I'm in the same camp as both of you.  I'll see how he fares with his normal head, IE, see how I like it.  Ultimately, I feel like I'm leaning more towards swapping it out for something else too. Other than minor gripes with his head, I think the model is absolutely gorgeous. A real centerpiece figure, even when said army already has a fellblade!

The inceptor visor helm is a great idea! I didn't thinking of that until you guys mentioned it, have 1 or 2 kicking around!

Ultimately, what I'm most excited to see, is how he fares being done up in my Star Phantoms successor scheme.  I think the "dark white" will help make a lot of his smaller details pop something fierce compared to the OG Iron hands scheme.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

My IH successor chapter have light blue skin like Rogue Trooper. It's that way because I could not paint flesh tones when I started. So to play him as he is I'm going to do a head swap using a helmet from the IH Primaris kit.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Machine God

I saw someone on FB swap the head out for one of the tri-lens mk iii heads from FW to great effect. Gonna magnetize the stock head so I can do something similar. Otherwise, I agree with the weird axe haft thing. That's getting shaved off.

Replacing the head isn't too difficult, although depending on the head you pick you might have to trim away at the neck to get a proper fit (otherwise it'll be too tall) 

I have a fair number of ideas for Feirros. Simple 'fixes' and a few more radical ideas. 

'Fixes'

1)The boots - yes, I know they're standard to the Gravis design, but I just think they're too exaggerated, so I'll be trimming those down

2)The Claw - a couple of plans for this, all essentially go down to replacing it with / rebuilding it into a traditional servo arm. 

3)The bolter - removing the belt-feed, and replacing it with a drum magazine from the interceptors. 

4)The arms - possibly adjusting their pose and slightly lowering them. 

'Radical' 

1)The legs. Needs more bionics! I'm toying with the idea of carving away the rear of the legs and replacing them with something suitable from the Adeptus Titanicus range (or similar). 

2)The bottom servo arm - removed. 

3)The heavy bolter - also removed. 

4)Signum - see above 

5)Main servo arm - relocate into the centre of the back pack, replace claw with something traditional. 

6) (Optional) - trim the 'hood' slightly so it's not as tall.

7) (Optional) - change the pose so he's got the axe in his right hand and is aiming a pistol with his left. 

The result: (Hopefully) The Primaris version of the original metal Iron Father model from 2003. 

I do really like the model! It's just that I also really like making an expensive mess kit-bashing models... 

While I don't have any pics yet - I cut off a bit of the axe extension parts (dataspike, box), and intend to lower the arms a bit.

The servo claw got a bit shortened (like pulled all the way back) and is now facing forwards, looks a lot better.

The base received generous amounts of milliput to fill the boot gaps and have a hill cover the lower plates of the feet.

Now I just need to go through my AdMech bitz box for a possible head swap - the stock head looks almost exactly the same as one of the IH upgrade heads, I guess I might find something more exotic. Pics should follow next week, when I intend to finish this guy.

Loving the conversions and paintjobs so far folks. 

I ended up getting two in the end. The first one has been made as-per the original design, only with the head magnetised and swapped, and the servo-harness being magnetised for transport (largely because I do actually want a game-legal / WYSIWYG version :laugh.:

Now I see the photos blown up on a computer screen I can see a fair amount of tiding up to do... 

ngS538D.jpg?1

With original head:

6BROonu.jpg?2

Back when Primaris came out and I decided to stop hiding in the Heresy era, I chose Clan Atraxxi to be my new clan. Partly due to having a boatload of their transfers spare, mostly because I knew I'd be free of GW's writing...

zrjnMn4.jpg?1

Personal heraldry and name.  

FUV7Sv1.jpg?1

Still trying to work out what to do for the second one, but there's a lot of conversion potential here.