Fixing drop pods

TorvaldTheMild

Pretty sure the skyhammer was one of the most decried formations of 7th since it paired the busted grav rules with relentless. It wasn't well received by people who liked balance.

CA exists, if it would be an issue with relentless drop pods, the grav points would just be increased to balance.

What I'm saying is that despite seeming fluffy, it was extremely effective and broken. It's the reason grav has been bad for 2 years ever since the edition swap.

Well I don't see the problem now with the current grav then. Grav might get the biggest buff with a relentless pod, again points can change for devs to balance it if it ends up OP this time around.

Balancing points for Devs around an optional transport option is a terrible idea.

Balancing points around optional options, along with combo's is how the points adjustments work anyway, so what is any different? 

Pretty sure the skyhammer was one of the most decried formations of 7th since it paired the busted grav rules with relentless. It wasn't well received by people who liked balance.

CA exists, if it would be an issue with relentless drop pods, the grav points would just be increased to balance.

What I'm saying is that despite seeming fluffy, it was extremely effective and broken. It's the reason grav has been bad for 2 years ever since the edition swap.

Well I don't see the problem now with the current grav then. Grav might get the biggest buff with a relentless pod, again points can change for devs to balance it if it ends up OP this time around.

Balancing points for Devs around an optional transport option is a terrible idea.

Balancing points around optional options, along with combo's is how the points adjustments work anyway, so what is any different? 

Not really. If you balance points of a unit based on something optional it means that the unit will be overcosted without taking it. That's why weapons all cost a different amount of points and why points are better than power level for balancing.

I'm confused, why is everyone saying you cant assault out of a drop pod? Is there some rule that prevents charging after deep striking? If so I have been playing both my BT and SW armies wrong

I believe those posts are referencing older editions rules where uou could land as close as you wanted outside of 1", but couldn't assault out of deep strike.

You are perfectly capable of attempting a charge after deep striking, with a pod or not in 8th

You just won't be closer than 8".

A 9” charge is required after deploying from a pod. That’s improbable, which is why people don’t like to rely on it.

In terms of fixing them, there are a number of issues and always have been. They’re bad, but somehow also easy to abuse. I’d make them terrain rather than models. Let anyone who wants to walk all over them, removing this nonsense about using them to block movement.

It’s a problem that they’ve got guns. Maybe make the gun itself targetable.

You’d then be able to have them as a unit upgrade, preferably with different costs depending on who it was carrying.

What if they had the same rules as taruntula sentry turrets? Can shoot into combat with a pod, must target closest unit with its guns, hit automatically in close combat? I think that would be a fair trade off and wouldnt make them completely broken as they would still be able to block LoS and stuff