Raven Guard Retex and tactica

DreamIsCollapsing

Was thinking of my models and shenanigans I could pull. I know it's not amazing but what are some thoughts on a Land Speeder Storm loaded with a squad of scouts to be a mobile character sniper or general harraser? 18" of movement and FLY means you can go anywhere you want. For 130 points the LSS with a squad of scouts w/ heavy bolter gives you 6 STR5 AP-1 (or -2 on turn two) 36" range shots, D6 18" bolter shots (cerebrus launcher) and depending on target range 4/8 boltgun shots. So you've got a maximum threat range of 48" on a very mobile platform.

It's not a very durable so that's a disadvantage but it does allow you to bring a fair amount of fire power to bear on softer targets, and if you need to you can drop the scouts off on an objective to hold that down. If you want you can swap out the weapons on the LSS to take flamer/melta/auto cannon depending on role, and I guess you could drop a ML in the scouts instead of the heavy bolter but now we're getting more expensive. The other drawback is that most shots are -1 because HEAVY and movement but... it at least sounds like something fun to try out.

I think you've got the gist of it. While the Storm has received a little help from the Codex, it's still pretty bad. The reality is that 7 T5 wounds falls over pretty quick. A common build is shotguns and a heavy flamer on the vehicle, get in up close and harry a flank, maybe a character that isn't screened right. But your unit most certainly dies in retaliation. Your route of staying at max range leverages the CT the best and probably keeps it living longer.

At the end of the day the same points gets you 7 Intercessors which are better in almost every way.

I've used my LSS in casual games where I want to self-impose a handicap and its been fun for that. I will probably continue to use it that way (and if I ever build my second one), until it gets buffed/cheaper in the next Chapter Approved.

For comparison: the Dark Eldar Venom

Same points, better guns, it gets a -1 to hit (Flickerfield), it also gets a 5+ Invulnerable save. Same toughness, one less wound, same save. Plus you can upgrade its guns for 10 points to go to Rapid Fire 6, 36" Range, Poison.

At the end of the day as a Marine player units you add to your list have to serve a purpose. The Land Speeder Storm doesnt have one. The units it transports (Scouts) already have a baked in delivery system. It doesn't do damage, it doesn't survive well, and it doesn't fulfill or supply any other buffs like it used to.

I'd argue that 7 intercessors aren't nearly as mobile but I get your point. I guess in some very edge case scenarios it could be good. The big advantage I see for keeping scouts on board is if you're trying to drop them on an objective in your opponent's deployment zone since that would be the hardest to get too off deployment/deepstrike. I hadn't thought about shotguns... that might be worth a try. Just send it in on a suicide mission and see what happens... Since I don't play super competitively I'm not concerned about squeezing every ounce of optimization out that I can so those tactics might work out for the games I tend to play.

I had never looked at the Venom's stats, it does make the LSS look pretty bland.

I miss my LSS being good! In previous editions, they had the ability to add dice to the scatter range of deep strikers within a certain radius, which was awesome, and the Cerebus Launcher had a blinding ability. Necron and Tau shooting were not that scary when all they could do is hit on 6s, same with Orks and Nids in melee. They could have supported the unit with more rules and stratagems, but no, everything is Primaris now.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's our Spectral Blade, Null Zone, Umbral Form, Shadowmaster, Imperiums Sword infiltrating Smashbrarian for 3-4CP(+1CP for Chief Libraran, +1CP for Trifold Path, and +1/2 CP for another character with Master of Ambush and/or Infiltrators):

40kFaithFuryPreview-Nov11-HighScholar2uc

Take a Libby with the above and a jump pack+force stave for 5 S12 AP-4 Dd3 attacks on the charge. Tag team him with a Smash Captain and go to town. Never thought my stave libby from 30k would make an appearance here.

That's a LOT of moving parts on one character, each of which has a chance of failure that results in dramatically reduced effectiveness. Pooch one psychic test or have a power denied and your butt's in the breeze.

It's my personal preference to have Librarians be buff/debuff guys, not combatants.

The chance of fail I would say is the only balancing factor. Even just spending 1CP to make him a Cheif Librarian is worth it. S11 with 4 attacks ignoring invul saves in an aura and AP-4 is still great. He and his friends will shred anything.

But, with a Librarian as a warlord, I would throw the Armor of Shadows relic on him.

He is indeed a meat grinder, but how many games will you play without him having a titan-sized target on him? You'll blend up one enemy unit, after charging on your turn, but what then? Consolidate into cover? Hopefully you have enough screen to absorb enough of the fire power coming his way for him to survive. That, or you have other units that are more of a priority target than your Librarian. Not trying to be critical, just saying that he should be a scalpel applied at the right time, as opposed to a large blunt object used early and often.