Yellow contrast paints over metallic undercoat?

Kaldoth

Hey all! So, I've got a buttload of Necrons I need to paint and for the more rank and file troops I figured batch painting would be the best route to go. I've got a little experience with the contrast range, but I'm curious as to how they apply over a metallic basecoat. Specificallly, yellow contrast paint over silver.

I've watched a few videos on applying contrast over silver base coats and I do like the look of the end result. However, my Necrons are going to be gold. I can't seem to find any videos of painters trying yellow over a silver basecoat, so I was wondering if anyone has tried this and had it result in a decent gold effect?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Cheers,

-Kal

Check out this one by Pete the Wargamer, he puts a few different contrast colours over leadbelcher, making things like gold, tin, copper, etc. He also has another more involved one for doing NMM gold with contrast paints that comes out pretty good if you want to put some extra time and effort into centrepiece models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1zSQdAnqoM

I have done it myself on some test models (no photos unfortunately as they have since been stripped) and it looks pretty good.

Edited by I Am Forsaken

On a laptop now.

4F4834C2 3113 4387 B89B 904CB4716F9C

6C5CA4EC 8A54 468C B780 FF81007B8D76

That's the yellow over aluminum primer (basically Runefang Steel) to give you an idea how yellow it is.

This is their gold spray, it doesn't say primer on it but it passes the fingernail test and I plan to use it on a whole Custodes army.

2BF656E4 7A29 4A0B 898D C8BFDC353AB5

5E2AC5B7 6956 45F0 9819 BE58DB628CEA

You can actually thin some yellow contrast with medium and make more yellowy if you'd like.  Their gold paint+primer is waaaaay too shiny and I can't get shades or contrast paints to stick on it, the surface is too hydrophobic.