East China Open - Necrons win.

Morticon

Heya guys. Just thought I'd share this, albeit a bit late. 

China hosted its second ITC here, this one qualifying as a GT. 

Crons took the top spot, with a fantastic general behind the helm. Here is the list:

Cryptek: Canoptek Cloak, Staff of Light 
Imotekh the Stormlord-  Warlord 

6x Immortal - Tesla Carbine 
2x 5 Immortals - Tesla Carbine 

6x Destroyer : 6x Gauss Cannon 

9x Tomb Blades - vanes/loom

Doomsday Ark 
Doomsday Ark 
Doomsday Ark 

Dynasty Choice 
. Dynasty: Sautekh 

Doom Scythe 
Doom Scythe 
Doom Scythe 

That list as written is 2,039 points.

Nice to see Necrons win a thing. Sad to see it's "the list f. Destroyers" but at least it's doing well.

I do hope that we don't see DDAs and Scythes get knocked down a peg in this year's Chapter Approved as a result.

It is actually 2013 as printed, one Immortal over points value.

Possible I got the immortal numbers wrong!!

What are the Doom Scythes for/do? Noob question my apologies.

Krash

The scythes drop their big MW strat. They pick a point on the board and then everything within 3" takes 3d3 MW on a 4+ (3+ if it has 5 or more models, 5+ if character).

(works out to 1999 on mine) Not sure where the discrepancies are.

Tomb-blades - 284, Destroyers 300.
Immortals 90,75,75
Lords 85 + 160
Scythes 150 a pop
Arks 160 Edited by NTaW
Merged posts.

That Strat sounds awesome and really good. Glad to see Necron's doing well. I have an old 3rd edition Battleforce and 6 Destroyers maybe I need to get them going.

Was the whole army Sautekh?

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

It is entirely Sautekh, Imotekh is their big HQ option.

Wow 9x Tomb Blades, each with gauss/tesla loom and vanes, comes to 324 in Battlescribe. No time to fact check right now but that may be the source of my discrepancy.

Just verified between the Codex and CA2018, a Tomb Blade w. tesla/gauss is 28 and the vane/loom combo is 8. 36x9=324 unless they were using particle beamers which drops the unit 36 points and my initial calculation to 2,003.

Sure am curious to see what this year's CA does to Necrons. The 3x TV w. Cryptek+Scarabs list was sorta funny and this core of 3x DDAs and 3x Scythes is solid but really the only options available for high damage/wounds and this many MWs dealt in a turn. It would be cool to see other units in the limelight on the competitive scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Necron troops tend to die very quickly in a meta that is designed to kill knights (who are basically mini-titans) and other superheavies very, very quickly.

And when a necron army rocks up with only a few regular vehicles and maaaybe one superheavy, the troops die quickly, because all that extra firepower the other guy brought isn't gonna have any valid targets.

Another reason is that We'll Be Back is now Reanimation Protocols, and while you roll for all dead troops every round (minus any that 'ran away' from morale), you stop rolling if the unit is dead, not when it gets out of range of another model of the same unit (so you can't rez your dead warrior blob with a min squad anymore).

That said, 16 immortals with tesla is nothing to sneeze at, as they can put out a large amount of shots for their size, punch harder than bolters do (though with no armor pen), have decent armor saves, and can hold objectives whilst the big stuff (the arks and scythes) put the hurt on everything.

Warrior blobs are unfortunately not very competitive (at high levels) at the moment, and GW's fix-it solution right now is 'drop the cost and rebalance later.' We're hoping for something nice in the next rules update, though.

Welcome to the tombs, by the way. :)

@charlo: Apologies, I knew they were a troop choice but was just a little sad to see no bulk warriors. 

@Daimyo: Thanks for the explanation on warriors vs immortals and why the warriors are weak. It's a shame to see the bulk troops not very usable if trying to be competitive. Also thanks for the welcome. 

Well, it’s not that warriors are weak per se, they just get focused down so much with firepower meant to kill bigger things that they don’t last very long. Ignored, they can do a lot.

40 gauss flayer shots at half range, with an extra bonus depending on which dynasty you play (a la chapter tactics) is nasty if played right. They hit hard but need help to get there, pretty much.

@Daimyo: I understand. I should have worded that better in regards to the necron warriors. Are there other tournaments I should or can follow to see how the various armies are doing and holding up?

• 7 months later...