What do we expect to see in our new 'dex?

Slasher956

Hopefully the Canoness's staff will have some abilities attached to it: as she already has a melee weapon I assume the staff isn't for close combat (or at least not chiefly for close combat).

+1 to eviscerators....

Its a bit ...silly shall we say.... when the faction know for using eviscerators* cant take them in their own codex yet assault marines can!!!

priests & sisters of battle

I'm hoping there is a lot more depth to the codex than just getting Eviscerators.  I don't think it is to much to ask for to expect more than 1 effective build.  And in order to have more than 1 effective build, requires not having one option that shines above the others.  And right now between sword, axe, club and eviscerator there is one that is clearly better than the others.

I want to see the return of the Brazer of Holy Fire and at least one other weapon that is unique to sisters, that each stand on the same tier as the eviscerator.

I'm hoping there is a lot more depth to the codex than just getting Eviscerators. I don't think it is to much to ask for to expect more than 1 effective build. And in order to have more than 1 effective build, requires not having one option that shines above the others. And right now between sword, axe, club and eviscerator there is one that is clearly better than the others.

I want to see the return of the Brazer of Holy Fire and at least one other weapon that is unique to sisters, that each stand on the same tier as the eviscerator.

So I guess Marines shouldn't have thunder hammers?

Eviscerators are fine; you take them if you are trying to do more damage. You take power weapons for consistency -- a bloody rose power maul will kill more Guardsmen and more consistently then an eviscerator, anyway.

I wouldn't be opposed to new High Cost melee weapons, but I am doubting we get much new, so I'd just like to keep my models legal.

I'm hoping there is a lot more depth to the codex than just getting Eviscerators.  I don't think it is to much to ask for to expect more than 1 effective build.  And in order to have more than 1 effective build, requires not having one option that shines above the others.  And right now between sword, axe, club and eviscerator there is one that is clearly better than the others.

There's always one that's more effective than the others. Not having eviscerators isn't going to change that.

The Blade of Admonition already is an alternative load out for one Canoness. And of course I'd like more options than just the eviscerator, but I actually envision it as very, very unlikely we'll have multiple builds, given that the plastic canoness looks to have no options (as opposed to the metal canoness, who has a ton).

The Blade of Admonition already is an alternative load out for one Canoness. And of course I'd like more options than just the eviscerator, but I actually envision it as very, very unlikely we'll have multiple builds, given that the plastic canoness looks to have no options (as opposed to the metal canoness, who has a ton).

I think the Canoness will have several builds: there's no reason think otherwise. That canoness in the box reminds me of the captain from Black Reach, and that was a bare-bones Captain with a power sword instead of a chainsword. I look at the revealed cano9ness in the same manner.

When was the last time GW released a character model with multiple equipment load outs? Aren't all the Primaris and Death Guard characters monopose? I know that all of the GSC ones are.

I'm asking because I honestly don't know. Maybe the Deathwatch stuff towards the end of 7th?

When was the last time GW released a character model with multiple equipment load outs? Aren't all the Primaris and Death Guard characters monopose? I know that all of the GSC ones are.

I'm asking because I honestly don't know. Maybe the Deathwatch stuff towards the end of 7th?

The primaris captain had two different weapon loadouts I believe.

What I'm saying is that I think there will be a differnt Canoness model for individual purchase, just like the individual Space Marine Captain at that time wasn't like the same model as the one in that box set I mentioned.

Which box set? Shadowspear had the captain in gravis armour and then the primaris captain released later was in power armour and phobos armour. Is there another box I'm forgetting? Looking online, the only basic primaris captain besides the one they sell individually is a special edition one.

Though Erjak is right, the primaris captain can be modeled/equipped with a bolter and power sword or a bolter and no power sword. Maybe the canoness will get the option to swap out her cane for a pointing finger.

I'm hoping there is a lot more depth to the codex than just getting Eviscerators. I don't think it is to much to ask for to expect more than 1 effective build. And in order to have more than 1 effective build, requires not having one option that shines above the others. And right now between sword, axe, club and eviscerator there is one that is clearly better than the others.

So I guess Marines shouldn't have thunder hammers?

Eviscerators are fine; you take them if you are trying to do more damage. You take power weapons for consistency -- a bloody rose power maul will kill more Guardsmen and more consistently then an eviscerator, anyway.

I wouldn't be opposed to new High Cost melee weapons, but I am doubting we get much new, so I'd just like to keep my models legal.

The list of weapon options for Space Marines is quite a bit longer than just Thunder Hammer.

Sister characters with the beta codex have 3 melee weapon options.

Space Marine characters have all the same options that sisters have plus 4 more options.

It isn't unreasonable to expect a few more options and perhaps a unique one or two. 

Take the pistol list for example, both SM and Sisters characters can take bolt pistols and plasma pistols.

SM also get Grav pistols whereas sisters get inferno pistols.

While you are correct that most characters that are released are monopose models, you also have to acknowledge that GW has released more than a few SM Captains which are all armed differently.  Not to mention all of the different Lieutenant models that also all have different weapons.

While you are correct that most characters that are released are monopose models, you also have to acknowledge that GW has released more than a few SM Captains which are all armed differently. Not to mention all of the different Lieutenant models that also all have different weapons.
GW has, to my knowledge, released 4 Space Marine captains: 1 in Gravis Armour, 1 in Phobos Armour, and then 2 in Mk X. So the only model that's a duplicate is the second Mk X model, but that one is a special edition model. And if we don't count special/limited release models, there are five Primaris Leiutenant models: 2 in Phobos, 3 in Mk X. So there are a lot of lieutenants, but their load-out is also super limited. The Phobos guys are limited to knife and bolt pistol or knife and bolter and the Mk X guys are limited to power sword and bolt pistol or bolter and bolt pistol. So even with 5 lieutenants, they have super limited load-outs. Also, models in different types of armour cannot use weapons from models in other types (i.e. Phobos equipment cannot be used by power armour models or vice versa).

So even with more models, their gear is super limited. Plus, we aren't going to get as much stuff as Space Marines. Better comparisons would be GSC or Death Guard. I worry that we'll get one canoness and that's all. I hope we get a jump canoness and a palatine and maybe something new, but I'm getting the feeling we won't. And if we do get these models, I hope their wargear can be swapped around, so if a jump canoness gets am eviscerator I hope a foot canoness can use it.

We should probably stop discussing this anyway. I'm being too negative, and it's all just speculation based off of trends. I see a trend towards the removal of options as removing many of the options we have, you hope that we'll get a large enough release that even though models will be monopose with one load-out, we'll get more options for characters. I hope you're right.

Edited by Ficinus

Which box set? Shadowspear had the captain in gravis armour and then the primaris captain released later was in power armour and phobos armour. Is there another box I'm forgetting? Looking online, the only basic primaris captain besides the one they sell individually is a special edition one.

Though Erjak is right, the primaris captain can be modeled/equipped with a bolter and power sword or a bolter and no power sword. Maybe the canoness will get the option to swap out her cane for a pointing finger.

The box set I mentioned in my previous post . That's why I said "that box set I mentioned" :smile.:

In any case I know my example is an old one, and there may well not be a different Canoness available individually, however I believe there will be, or at least have loadout options for weapons. Even the current rules allow for several weapons and the new Codex should be an improvement on the current one.

As for what I expect in the new book: In the new Codex they really need to give the Celestians a reason for existing, more than just taking hits for nearby HQs, and I am expecting something along those lines.

I think the return of the Palatine would be a good thing and I think there was enough feedback for her that we will see her.

Edited by Montford

While you are correct that most characters that are released are monopose models, you also have to acknowledge that GW has released more than a few SM Captains which are all armed differently. Not to mention all of the different Lieutenant models that also all have different weapons.
GW has, to my knowledge, released 4 Space Marine captains: 1 in Gravis Armour, 1 in Phobos Armour, and then 2 in Mk X. So the only model that's a duplicate is the second Mk X model, but that one is a special edition model. And if we don't count special/limited release models, there are five Primaris Leiutenant models: 2 in Phobos, 3 in Mk X. So there are a lot of lieutenants, but their load-out is also super limited. The Phobos guys are limited to knife and bolt pistol or knife and bolter and the Mk X guys are limited to power sword and bolt pistol or bolter and bolt pistol. So even with 5 lieutenants, they have super limited load-outs. Also, models in different types of armour cannot use weapons from models in other types (i.e. Phobos equipment cannot be used by power armour models or vice versa).

So even with more models, their gear is super limited. Plus, we aren't going to get as much stuff as Space Marines. Better comparisons would be GSC or Death Guard. I worry that we'll get one canoness and that's all. I hope we get a jump canoness and a palatine and maybe something new, but I'm getting the feeling we won't. And if we do get these models, I hope their wargear can be swapped around, so if a jump canoness gets am eviscerator I hope a foot canoness can use it.

We should probably stop discussing this anyway. I'm being too negative, and it's all just speculation based off of trends. I see a trend towards the removal of options as removing many of the options we have, you hope that we'll get a large enough release that even though models will be monopose with one load-out, we'll get more options for characters. I hope you're right.

There might be 4 currently available for sale, but there are I think 12 that GW has produced over the years.  Several were the store birthday models.  I know because one of the guys at my shop has them all.

As for what I expect in the new book: In the new Codex they really need to give the Celestians a reason for existing, more than just taking hits for nearby HQs, and I am expecting something along those lines.

I think the return of the Palatine would be a good thing and I think there was enough feedback for her that we will see her.

I wouldn't be surprised if Palatine, a jump pack HQ & a 2nd troops choice where the most requested datasheets

& most 'fix this' datasheets being Celestians & the Excorcist...