Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jain Zar revealed! [Psychic Awakening]

Psychic Awakening event

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,002 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka, House Orlock

Colourscheme ruins and otherwise beautiful model IMO.

But that's what photoshop is for! Quick and dirty re-colour to be in-line with the original, albeit more purple I guess:

The original scheme is black armour with white hair & mask. The purple is a repaint. Looks good on the new model though.

Aye, IIRC she was all black with gold trim, white hair and mask in 2nd. Stood out like a sore thumb from the then Banshee colour scheme of bone and red with black hair.

-Ran

• Karhedron and Legionnaire of the VIIth like this

ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,971 posts

You remember correctly. She actually looked better than the purple re-paint. The black hid some of the sins of that sculpt, though the white did the xenos hairesy no favours.

Spoiler

• Magos Takatus, Reinhard and Legionnaire of the VIIth like this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,672 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
I do agree with BCK, if they’d have shifted her more to the completion of the swing and have the hand beginning to whip down to throw the Triskele, the pose would have been much better. Hopefully that hair anchor is more robust than it looks, since it does appear to drag against that crest some, however I’m wondering about it a little as well. I haven’t heard that there’s a lot of breakage on things like that floating Stormcast guy or the Yncarne, but I’m sure some other folks have some info about those things.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Borbarad

Borbarad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 213 posts

Looks fantastic! Can't wait for the other phoenix lords to be released in the same quality.

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,379 posts

Like the sculpt, but can't help but see with the paint scheme that it looks like a more elaborate Banshee Exarch (which technically they are, but even so). I know I'll be painting mine in the darker paint scheme that the current model has, to make her really stand out amongst her Banshee brethren.

gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,420 posts

I do agree with BCK, if they’d have shifted her more to the completion of the swing and have the hand beginning to whip down to throw the Triskele, the pose would have been much better. Hopefully that hair anchor is more robust than it looks, since it does appear to drag against that crest some, however I’m wondering about it a little as well. I haven’t heard that there’s a lot of breakage on things like that floating Stormcast guy or the Yncarne, but I’m sure some other folks have some info about those things.

The Yncarne and the Celestant have bits that are bigger and thicker connecting them to their bases, the Celestant even gets two. Saint Celestine and her flowing scrolls seem to be the most infamous case, but she also looks more imbalanced and top heavy with her wings and the scrolls being really thin. 

Jain Zar here has the advantage over Celestine in that her body is closer to her hair, unlike Celestine and her scrolls, and the thinner part of it is quite short, while Celestine's scrolls go on forever and are thin all the way through. What seems more dangerous to me is her spear and its ribbons.

Edited by DeadFingers, 23 September 2019 - 05:41 PM.

• Bryan Blaire likes this

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,242 posts

i'm disappointed, honestly.  feels like they sculptor was  under invested... or over invested.  like they were overly faithful to the old mini that they suffered no deviation from it beyond modern posing and proportions. end result feels uninspired, with opportunity left on the floor.

• Legionnaire of the VIIth likes this

Theduke08

Theduke08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 576 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Space Wolves

Power axes on banshees?

48783307426_525d1c0cf9_c.jpg

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,242 posts

Power axes on banshees?

48783307426_525d1c0cf9_c.jpg

looks classic jes goodwin sketches that have been out in the wild for years.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

Theduke08

Theduke08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 576 posts

Im optimistic we will see an actual model with a power axe.

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,242 posts

also 2nd edtion banshees had axes.

Theduke08

Theduke08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 576 posts

Its been 26 years since 2nd ed.  Hopefully we see them again.

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,971 posts

1st edition and just the Exarch. You could arm the Exarch however you wanted all the way through 1st & 2nd, though the official model had a power axe. One of my friends had his Exarch with a web of skulls. Normal Banshees were still sword and pistol, though they used las back then.

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,484 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

1st edition and just the Exarch. You could arm the Exarch however you wanted all the way through 1st & 2nd, though the official model had a power axe. One of my friends had his Exarch with a web of skulls. Normal Banshees were still sword and pistol, though they used las back then.

Its just the Exarch in the concept art.

• Legionnaire of the VIIth likes this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,944 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

I had to do some messing around after someone posted the "Sindel" pic and decided to try for something a little cleaner and closer to the original colors of the old model.  

egtPAcj.png

And my attempt to make her armor black, which is not easy to do and I had to go look up a tutorial on it and the results aren't awesome but it gets the idea across. 

zxaCEUR.png

• Brother_Bethor, Magos Takatus, Sandlemad and 5 others like this

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Check out my Instagram for other stuff I can't post here.

The Blood Raven

The Blood Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,139 posts
  • Faction: Cosmic Chorus

Looking forward to replacing my lead version of this character. 

I was expecting the Ynnari models to adopt a more unique aesthetic than what's been shown so far so that's a bit of a let down, but let's face it, Psychic Awakening is all about the profits, see?

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,775 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

To phrase it in terms acceptable to the forum...

Holy chuffing poop balls.

I have been waiting SO LONG for the Phoenix Lords. Jain Zar wasn't my number one choice but this model is off the charts amazing.

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.png

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,895 posts

teehee.gif it's almost as if I was following the colourscheme already posted. You savages...

BUT MY HAND IS FORCED.

Edit: Ha, BCK did it too! Agreed, turning the armour black is AWFUL.

8ThqGKt.jpg

Edited by Charlo, 23 September 2019 - 06:24 PM.

• librisrouge likes this

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,404 posts

Dang, you start a post and walk away for a couple minutes and half a page goes by.

Per the article:

She is mid decapitation-strike-ing with her Glaive and mid getting ready to throw her Triskele. Ie, has fully extended her arm back as part of the swing. Basically the moment right before she starts bringing her arm back forward and shifts the weapon down Horizontally.

BASICALLY its a mid-action pose.

Which is why the pose looks so bad to me. Mid-action poses are generally the least energetic and most boring, a lesson I was taught as a young lad with dreams of being a comic book artist. From ye sacred tome of How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way:

Spoiler

*snip*

I'd be shocked if fans of the old figure didn't like the new one. It's an unfortunately accurate recreation of the old one's aesthetic.
Oh my god emperor I remember that holy tome.

Now I'm reminded of all the vocations I abandoned when I should have persevered.

THANKS BRUDDAH

Edited by Lemondish, 23 September 2019 - 06:25 PM.

Theduke08

Theduke08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 576 posts

To phrase it in terms acceptable to the forum...

Holy chuffing poop balls.

I have been waiting SO LONG for the Phoenix Lords. Jain Zar wasn't my number one choice but this model is off the charts amazing.

I have all of the metal ones in my drawer from the old-school box set.  I never painted a single one.  I will be buying all of the new ones and painting them all.

Aztek

Aztek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 572 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Great looking model!

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,944 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

Edit: Ha, BCK did it too! Agreed, turning the armour black is AWFUL.

Yes, it is indeed. I'm pretty handy with the PS for most things but that's not fun at all. 

Which is why the pose looks so bad to me. Mid-action poses are generally the least energetic and most boring, a lesson I was taught as a young lad with dreams of being a comic book artist. From ye sacred tome of How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way:

Oh my god emperor I remember that holy tome.

Now I'm reminded of all the vocations I abandoned when I should have persevered.

THANKS BRUDDAH

At one time in my early conversions days, I had a copy of that page printed out and pinned to the wall next to my desk so I'd always remember to go for either of the extreme ends of an action pose. 

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Check out my Instagram for other stuff I can't post here.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,070 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

3bbrhx.jpg

-Ran

The second it got revealed. ;)

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Crizza

Crizza

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts
  • Faction: Knights Templar

Great model, but paint her like this :D

JainZarColor.jpg

• Lord Marshal likes this

Shadowseer

Shadowseer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 92 posts
  • Faction: Eldar
Oh my goodness, thanks for the photoshops in this thread! A couple of them are going to be the basis for how I'll paint mine

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Psychic Awakening event

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users