Eliminators

Archon_77

I think it's worth noting that the carbine only allows the fall back to happen once per game, and specifically the "first time this unit’s Eliminator Sergeant fires Overwatch with an instigator bolt carbine in your opponent’s turn".

You (may) get one opportunity only to use it to fall back from a charge.

I think it's worth noting that the carbine only allows the fall back to happen once per game, and specifically the "first time this unit’s Eliminator Sergeant fires Overwatch with an instigator bolt carbine in your opponent’s turn".

Hmm I didnt think to read it like that but you might be right. Might need some clarity on that

My current list is 2 squads 1 of each all the same weapon...

I haven't tested it yet but this edition has taught me volume of fire is king

If that doesn't work I'll use my Mor Deythan as sgts with the special carbine :cool.:

Honestly I was wondering if mor deythan could be counts as'd effectively. Probably not, as they're a lot smaller in terms of los

The standing Mor Deythan are the same height as the crouching Eliminators, if that helps. Eliminator Sergeant and standing shooters obviously tower over regular Marines and kneeling Mor Deythan.

So, the consensus seems to be bolt snipers over las fusils. Ok, then what is the better alternative for anti-tank? Lascannon Devastators or Hellblasters? Twin Las and Missile Launcher Ven Dread or a Las Predator?

Lascannon Devastators, and Hellblasters are kind of an all your eggs in one basket kind of unit. Expensive, and not that difficult for an opponent to focus down, and worth it to do so more times than not.

I can't bring myself to take a Predator, 2 Thunderfire Cannons yes, but not a Predator. The Dreadnought maybe, as he would be quite useful, and possible gain cover from terrain.

The benefit of Las Fusil Eliminators is taking advantage of MSU deployment. The will be hard to dig out if they are sitting in hard cover, and your opponent will feel like they wasted firepower if they actually devote enough shooting to actually remove them.

So much of our force has an edge on killing infantry, but where is the anti-tank? What about transports, monsters, etc?

Overwatch can technically be triggered more then one time for a unit in a given turn.  It is once per turn not once per game as it says the first time x occurs during a turn.

So, the consensus seems to be bolt snipers over las fusils. Ok, then what is the better alternative for anti-tank? Lascannon Devastators or Hellblasters? Twin Las and Missile Launcher Ven Dread or a Las Predator?

Lascannon Devastators, and Hellblasters are kind of an all your eggs in one basket kind of unit. Expensive, and not that difficult for an opponent to focus down, and worth it to do so more times than not.

I can't bring myself to take a Predator, 2 Thunderfire Cannons yes, but not a Predator. The Dreadnought maybe, as he would be quite useful, and possible gain cover from terrain.

The benefit of Las Fusil Eliminators is taking advantage of MSU deployment. The will be hard to dig out if they are sitting in hard cover, and your opponent will feel like they wasted firepower if they actually devote enough shooting to actually remove them.

So much of our force has an edge on killing infantry, but where is the anti-tank? What about transports, monsters, etc?

Pound for pound, the Mortis Contemptor with 4x Lascannon is the best option available to us.

Repuslor Executioner is a close second.

Overwatch can technically be triggered more then one time for a unit in a given turn.  It is once per turn not once per game as it says the first time x occurs during a turn.

This is the wording:

"Covering Fire: The first time this unit’s Eliminator

Sergeant fires Overwatch with an instigator bolt
carbine in your opponent’s turn, this unit can, after
it has resolved its Overwatch, move as if it were
your Movement phase (it cannot Advance as part of
this move)."

If your opponent charges and you fire overwatch with the instigator bolt carbine then you have done so for the first time.  If your opponent charges again, regardless of the turn, and you fire overwatch with it again, it will be the second time.  If it said "the first time each turn" I would agree, but it simply says "the first time".

One for OR, perhaps?

As mentioned - let's take the rules discussion to GW or the OR forums. In the mean time, let's keep the discussion on tactics, loadouts, etc.

My personal preference is to have 3 Bolt Snipers. Because there will be times when i would rather have the 1 extra shot vs the guided aim bonus.

Edited by SyNidus

Pound for pound, the Mortis Contemptor with 4x Lascannon is the best option available to us.

Both are obscenely expensive, and huge lightning rods. Just more of having all your eggs in one basket. I mean, I guess I could have the contemptor stand next to the gunner for my TFC, but if he explodes, he is dishing out mortal wounds to my artillery.

Both are obscenely expensive, and huge lightning rods. Just more of having all your eggs in one basket. I mean, I guess I could have the contemptor stand next to the gunner for my TFC, but if he explodes, he is dishing out mortal wounds to my artillery.

Mortis Contemptor is 3 points more than a 5-man Devastator Squad. It hits on 2s, is T7, has double the wounds, and can move 9" a turn. It also has a 5+ Invulnerable. Huge lightning rod or not, I have no idea what you're expecting when you go looking for AT.

As Dracos mentioned, if you want to be effective, you probably need to run at least two. Don't forget they also benefit from out CT now so have a 2+ save, and can be the target of Duty Eternal to half incoming damage. They also can hand out their own Re-Roll ones to hit with a strategem for 1 CP.

Also if you can pay the relic tax, for a small price hike (22 Points) they can move to the Elite slot, going to a 2+ Save, 2 more wounds, and a 6+++. If you already have elites, (likely), this is pretty value.

Agreed. Using Devs or Elims with Las-Fusils are gonna be way more squishy. If you're playing around with MoA, Assault Cents, and/or Invictors, they will be putting out a lot more pressure at midfield than backline AT. This can buy you a few turns of 2+ shooting before they get focused on.

I've been trying relic contemptors with twin las and Mortis. The relic 2+/5++/6+++ was a big factor in a game where I took 2. The games where I took a repulsor, talon, and mortis the mortis never got shot, the talon died first turn 1, and the repulsor shortly after due to where they were place. It's also positioning that matters as well.

I think it's worth noting that the carbine only allows the fall back to happen once per game, and specifically the "first time this unit’s Eliminator Sergeant fires Overwatch with an instigator bolt carbine in your opponent’s turn".

Overwatch can technically be triggered more then one time for a unit in a given turn. It is once per turn not once per game as it says the first time x occurs during a turn.
This is the wording:

"Covering Fire: The first time this unit’s Eliminator

Sergeant fires Overwatch with an instigator bolt

carbine in your opponent’s turn, this unit can, after

it has resolved its Overwatch, move as if it were

your Movement phase (it cannot Advance as part of

this move)."

If your opponent charges and you fire overwatch with the instigator bolt carbine then you have done so for the first time. If your opponent charges again, regardless of the turn, and you fire overwatch with it again, it will be the second time. If it said "the first time each turn" I would agree, but it simply says "the first time".

One for OR, perhaps?

No need to take it to OR.

It's right there in the wording.

"The first time this units Eliminator Sergeant fires Overwatch with an instigator bolt carbine in your opponents turn...."

9nce per turn. It let's you avoid one charge, but any subsequent charges they can't avoid.