Beginnings of a crusade

IceWind

Greetings crusaders!

I've recently gotten back to the hobby after a hiatus of 10+ years and is there a better way than launching a new crusade? I'm still very much in the beginning stages but I was thinking that maybe starting a log would give me more motivation to actually get stuff done. The progress won't probably be too fast as I never did and sadly still haven't played a game(don't know a single other player :teehee:) so I'm not in much of a rush to finish everything but the backlog is getting frighteningly long. :sweat:

But on to the actual topic

First up there's the Gravis Captain from Dark Imperium:

iWDkNkL.jpg

He's still very much in progress, basically only highlights on the armor and some other base colors so far.

Then there's the two Castellans from DI as well:

XXSVN38.jpg

tDf2jVx.jpg

Naturally Templar veterans such as them need some cloaks, tabards and chains. The cloaks actually came out a quite uneven but well.. room for improvement.

There's also some others in progress but don't really have good pictures of them for now

C9gzEnI.jpgrNL0X5G.jpg

This is it for now but will update when there's progress. :happy.:

Thanks guys!

Small update:

Got some more painting done on the Castellan #1. First edge highlights on the armor and base colors for most other components so far, next up is washes and then some more highlighting. Hoping to get this fellow completed this weekend and start working on some others.

SZPB8Jz.jpgrkUPFVo.jpg

Welcome, brother. That's some nice work you've got there so far. May I suggest picking up an upgrade sprue if you haven't already?

Thank you! Been thinking about getting an upgrade sprue but haven't gotten around to it yet. :biggrin.:

But I've some progress on the Castellan, he's getting close to complete now:

mmvud4Y.jpg

J5J5WmA.jpg

6F6GEFH.jpg

Owamarm.jpg

There are still some details to be done like the whites (I need Ulthuan grey and my local shop is out of stock right now), the ammo drum on the rifle, the display and buttons on the left arm (no clue what to do with it yet) and the icon on top of the backpack.

Welcome Brother! Really nice work! The Castellan is looking fantastic. What is the name of your Crusade? 

I also got back into the hobby recently after a 6-7ish year hiatus and didn't have anyone to play against. Ended up painting all the Death Guard that came with my Dark Imperium using the contrast paints, and adding few second hand units from Ebay on the cheap, then buying the codex and offering it to friends to come try - which worked well! I've got about 5 friends into the hobby now :). I wouldn't dare post photos for fear of excommunicatus. 

Hello again Brothers and thank you for the comments! I've been away on vacation this week so haven't been able to update. But hoping to get back on track again now that I'm home.

Looking good! I like the Helm on his Belt.
Also very nice freehand cross. I am struggling on those right now, but practicing a lot.

Could you see yourself posting some step by step instructions for your greenstuff work? It looks very impressive.

I'm still learning the art of greenstuff myself and there are so so so many people better at it than I.:sweat: But I can certainly try to come up with some kind of instructions the next time I am doing some modeling work (psst.. probably in the form of a Chaplain). 

Welcome Brother! Really nice work! The Castellan is looking fantastic. What is the name of your Crusade? 

I also got back into the hobby recently after a 6-7ish year hiatus and didn't have anyone to play against. Ended up painting all the Death Guard that came with my Dark Imperium using the contrast paints, and adding few second hand units from Ebay on the cheap, then buying the codex and offering it to friends to come try - which worked well! I've got about 5 friends into the hobby now :smile.:. I wouldn't dare post photos for fear of excommunicatus. 

Thank you Brother! I sadly haven't named my crusade yet, still trying to think of a good name. Also the reason why the shield on the shoulder of the Castellan is still unpainted.

Also: the backlog is about to get slightly longer as I'm about to go pickup some aggressors tomorrow. :teehee:

Hey guys

A small update: I have started working on the other Castellan and some Intercessors now. Next up is the edge highlighting on the armor after I clean up the black a bit (was a bit sloppy when applying the other base colors :sweat:).

esGWXgq.jpg

Right now the backlog is looking pretty massive so I'm half excited half terrified of the possibility of us getting a Black Templar release this year. I just wanna slap some chainswords on my boys so bad. :biggrin.:

The backlog right now:

All of Dark Imperium (excluding the ones I'm working on currently)

1x Primaris Captain

30x Intercessors (Some of these will probably end up becoming other things such as Chaplains and stuff)

3x Aggressors

1x Redemptor

1x Invictor

1x Emperor's Champion

and a bunch of old marines that are in need of stripping and some serious modeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments brothers! :happy.:

Small update today, I had to take a small break from painting so I don't burn out. Instead I started working on my chaplain, here's a mockup of what I'm going for:

LFAp0sG.jpg

Still heavily a wip, he's gonna be really blinged out in the end. :biggrin.:

Icewind, I love that guy, he looks great so far.  I'm also so stealing that because a friend of mine keeps saying I should make a Black Templar doing Reynauld the Crusader's scroll move from Darkest Dungeon, and that kitbash gives me an idea on how to do it.

Amazing Greenstuff work by the way. :thumbsup:

Edited by Gederas

Your greenstuff work is sterling!

I dont see what you mean about the knee, but everyone is their own harshest critic when it comes to the hobby I feel.

I wouldnt change a thing bout this guy and I would love to buy a sculpt like that from gw. The scroll and stamped down crozius are such a nice Touch. Love it!

I see what you men with the knee.

You attempted to make it into a greave that went over the knee instead of a separate knee pad.

Spray some paint on it and see how it looks. You can then always decide to go back and redo parts. Thats how its done in automotive restoration

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words brother! I was almost able to keep up my own schedule on the chaplain. :sweat: But now  I'm pretty much satisfied enough to call him done and ready for paint.. well after a few touchups maybe. Here he is:

PTMfhy3.jpg

XP3Gu7p.jpgMadNMXO.jpg

gj9XRec.jpg

Actually redid the joint on the right leg since I wanted him to be raising his other leg but the earlier version just seemed like he was stretching out.

how long I have to learn to use Green stuff to arrive your level?

I haven't really worked with green stuff a lot before, I find that I've spent way more time watching and reading different guides. After that it's just all down to actually trying things and gaining experience(AND PROPER TOOLS). :happy.:

I don't really know what to start working on next, there's so much still to be done..