Space Wolf Primaris Successor Chapters

Jonas Stromclaw

Thanks to the Wolfspear, the path has been opened to Space Wolf successor chapters. So far we only have the one Primaris successor, no regular marine mini-mes running about the galaxy, but hey, step in the right direction! I'm sure our next codex will include a whole raft of new VI Legion laddies running about the galaxy, wrecking Abaddon's plans, setting Magnus' comic book collection onfire, and leaving little presents on the Inquisition's lawn. Of course I immediately began plotting potential paint plans. But then, I saw these lads.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sons_of_the_Phoenix

Imperial Fist successor Primaris Chapter... heavily implied to actually be crafted from III Legion geneseed.

It makes sense. The leftover geneseed of the traitor legions has always been an untapped resource the Imperium should have been using. And it is cannon that Belisarius Cawl, techmaster mary sue supreme, has and wants to use geneseed from these legions to make Primaris Marines. But Guilliman tells him no, bad dog, no biscuit. Anyone think Belisarius wouldn't flout a primarch's command when he has already trampled The Emperor's edicts? There are going to be more Primaris Chapters implied to be from fallen legions. Never said outright, mind you, but implied.

And then the plot bunnies wouldn't leave me alone. And so I give you...

The Wolfhounds

Rough sketch is a Primaris Marine Chapter of VI Legion geneseed, split off from the Unumbered Sons near the start of the Indomitus Crusade to reinforce Segmentum Solar. Fleet based, they run a patrol route from Terra toward the Eye of Terror (or rather the part of the Great Rift that used to be the Eye), actively hunting traitors or xenos that might attempt strikes toward the Emperor's seat while the Imperium is weakened. The chapter recruits from Terra, the only other source of recruits proven to be compatible with VI geneseed (or any geneseed really...). The young chapter has yet to develop many traditions of its own, but one notable exception is the Gauntlet. Recruits are chained in pairs, armed, and sent into arming cages to fight marathon training sessions. The lesson is any Wolfhound who does not fight with his brothers is just dead weight. The chapter is noted for its sense of brotherhood, between and across ranks and companies. These marines have also developed a certain irreverent streak, rubbing many in the Imperium's upper ranks the wrong way. Favoring close combat and short ranged firefights, the Wolfhounds are particularly fond of axes, even replacing many of the standard combat blades with a short hafted hatchet. Color scheme is light grey, chapter symbol a wolf's head in red on a blue field.

So loyalist World Eaters?

World Eaters? What World Eaters? Nope, no World Eaters here Mr. Inquisitor! :wink:

sml_gallery_47404_15854_132160.jpg

sml_gallery_47404_15854_365993.jpg

I ended up not having to go in to work today, and I was bored, so... here you go. First models I've painted in, what, seven years? Please be gentle with critiques.

....actually, forget gentle, we're wolves, so roast away!

::edit::

I should also like this noted as signs of personal growth. These are the first painted model pictures I have posted on the forum, ever.

::second edit::

I should mention these lads are Intercessor Pack Leith, with Bolt Rifles, Leader with chainsword.

Edited by Jonas Stromclaw

Your scheme kinda like this? Wolfhounds https://imgur.com/gallery/DNo8xn5

Well I fail at search-fu. I had looked for Wolfhounds before the original post, but didn't see those lads. Essentially yes, same color scheme (though more crude, I'm no great shakes at the fine details), the left pauldron is a red wolf's head, and right pauldron will be simplified versions of Space Wolf Pack symbols. The Intercessor Squad I posted above has black right pauldrons at the moment.

Well I fail at search-fu. I had looked for Wolfhounds before the original post, but didn't see those lads. Essentially yes, same color scheme (though more crude, I'm no great shakes at the fine details), the left pauldron is a red wolf's head, and right pauldron will be simplified versions of Space Wolf Pack symbols. The Intercessor Squad I posted above has black right pauldrons at the moment.

Well I made that based on your description, as far as I know your wolfhounds are totally unique. If there are any changes you want (lighter grey, different for eagles, etc) let me know.

My chapters called the lords of Io. A SW contingent kept in the solar system and trained on the harsh gravity and low water supply of Jupiter's closest moon.

Unlike the viking mythology though they actually follow a more esoteric lineage as they were originally crafted alongside the grey knights post 1st war for armageddon.

Well I made that based on your description, as far as I know your wolfhounds are totally unique. If there are any changes you want (lighter grey, different for eagles, etc) let me know.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks, thats really neat!

Got the second Intercessor Squad Painted up, started on Primaris Battle Leader and Agressors (Those Agressors are tough to paint, so many nooks and crannies!). I decided to go solid colors by squad on the right pauldron, easier to paint and easier to quickly identify on the field/shelf/in the box.

med_gallery_47404_15854_216347.jpg

Intercessor Pack Egon, armed with Auto Bolt Rifles, Leader with power sword.

ok your grace period is over...we demand better photos lol

cant see the details or color very well

easiest is a blank piece of white paper as the back drop and a desk lamp in addition to overhead to reduce shadows

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/06/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

ok your grace period is over...we demand better photos lol

cant see the details or color very well

easiest is a blank piece of white paper as the back drop and a desk lamp in addition to overhead to reduce shadows

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/06/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

TiguriusX justifies his inclusion in the Librarium by once again answering a question before I ask it! Seriously man, stay out of my head, its a scary place! I just tried taking pictures as the link you provided suggested, they still came out a bit fuzzy and unclear, I think because my one desk lamp has a fairly low watt bulb. I'll go ahead and post a couple (yes they're bad, I know, haven't done this in seven years remember) but plan to go get a second desk lamp and some higher watt bulbs later.

med_gallery_47404_15854_88600.jpg

med_gallery_47404_15854_40388.jpg

med_gallery_47404_15854_39930.jpg

These are the pack leaders Egon and Leith. The white patches on Leith are because I didn't water down the varnish on him enough (white patches on Egon are because I was impatient). I am very annoyed I couldn't get the camera to focus in more on Egon's powersword, I experimented with a blue/green wash on top of the steel and the result is understated but quite nice in my opinion. Oh, and I didn't notice the burrs on Egon's bolter sling until I took this picture, those are now taken care of.

med_gallery_47404_15854_155712.jpg

Aggressor Pack Cormag, I am going to go back and touch up their left pauldrons as soon as I get a finer detail brush. I disliked the little bone reliquaries that went between the models' legs initially (seriously GW, that was stupid) and replaced them with wolf tails on the regular troopers and a talisman on the pack leader. He also has a little charm on his left pauldron to help pick him out in a hurry on the field. Since he has one more attack you want to remove him last, something I failed to do the other night since I didn't pay attention to which model I took off the board (rookie mistake, I know)

If you're using a phone camera Jonas, hold it about five to six inches away from the model, and hold your finger on the model on the display screen. It should make the camera focus on the model much better. Also, yes, get an LED daylight bulb for your desk lamp. Makes the pictures much better.

In any case, the models are looking a lot better and clearer. :tu:

The combat axes I ordered from Anvil Industries (https://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/Regiments-melee-weapons-equipment/regiments-combat-axes) for my Reivers showed up today, so I splashed a couple together. The axes are guardsmen scaled, but I kind of wanted something smaller than your regular chain axe as these are supposed to be stealth troopers. My question is, do they look too small to you guys? This also gave me an excuse to try out my improved picture taking set up.

med_gallery_47404_15854_435464.jpg

med_gallery_47404_15854_893068.jpg

These Reivers will not be the next things I paint. I've got 5 Hellblasters with the primer drying, plus the touch up job on the Agressors I hope to show y'all tomorrow. Think I'm going to go with a green effect on the plasma weapons rather than blue, trying to follow this guide. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/287112-6-simple-steps-for-painting-plasma-weapon-coils/