Owner of the Angel's Wing [Fluffwise]

Klod

So we have two models that are named Characters in the lore, but they don't have rules in the game.

First one is Captain Karlaen, second is Chaplain Daenor.

Karlaen is the owner of the Hammer of Baal. I think, because we have it as a relic, he does not have a datasheet, which is a shame.

That made me think that Daenor might be the owner of the Angel's Wing. What are your thoughts?

It is interesting to me because I always give relics to Characters that are either actual owners of those items, or if it makes most sense that they would have that item. Rather then what is most efficient. So when I bring Captain Karlaen, I always give him the Hammer of Baal and no other model ever gets it other than him.

Mayhab, mayhab not, but you raise valid points. From a fluff perspective, as well as how he is modeled it makes sense. From a gameplay perspective it could not only be advantageous for a chaplain to have the Angel's Wing to potentially shutdown overeatch by making a successful charge, but him charging headlong into the enemy with the DC marines in his care following behind is extremely fluffy. From a crunch point of view I think it would be better on Cpt Smash, with the +1 damage WK trait

The relics you can give characters aren't owned by anyone. That's why you can give them to others. If a character owns a relic he has a datasheet as well.

You are mixing up rules and fluff. Karlaen has the Hammer of Baal in his posession, and I can't see anyone else using it as long as he lives.

The relics you can give characters aren't owned by anyone. That's why you can give them to others. If a character owns a relic he has a datasheet as well.

You are mixing up rules and fluff. Karlaen has the Hammer of Baal in his posession, and I can't see anyone else using it as long as he lives.

Side note: The Blood Angels Terminator Captain model IS Karlaen.

Iirc, he even had unique rules in 7th edition.

Literally posted exactly what I was about to say seconds before I did. I even got the "NEW REPLY ADDED" notif and decided to update. Although I didn't know the Blood Angels Captain in Terminator Armour was necessarily Karlaen.

Well yes, that is what I am trying to explain here. We know how Karlaen and Daenor look like because it was shown in several Blood Angels Campaign Suplements, and we know that Karlaen is holiding the Hammer of Baal. And that those models are them.

I just had a thought that since he didn't get a datasheet, we got the Hammer as a relic. And judging by how ornate Daenor's jump pack is I thought that it might be possible that it is the same situation as with Karlaen. We have the model, but not the rules, so they give us his relic.

It seems to me that they first intended the models to be named Characters, with those relics, but then decided to give us the relics and the models separately. There is also the thing with the Sanguinary Priest. He looks a lot like Corbulo, and I heard people mention that he was intended to be his new model. I feel like they ran out of time when designing our codex and just decided to leave those Characters as generic models and give us the relics.

Edited by Klod

Angel's Wings is currently stored on Baal and assigned to no one, even during the fight against the bugs, when it seems to had been evacuated together with other relics. Btw, it was so annoying on the part of Haley to enumerate relics from the codex as those especially venerated ones, even though on Baal there must be dozen others more closely related to Sanguinius and so on. Very silly marketing here by GW and complete lack of imagination and/or laziness by Haley. But it seems to be a conscious policy, with many artworks slavishly reproducing actual miniatures. I would prefer GW to give their artists more freedom.

The current rules allow players to represent Captain Karlaen under any configuration in which the captain might decide to go into battle. He may decide to go in tactical dreadnought armour or power/artificer armour. While the Hammer of Baal was granted to Captain Karlaen upon his ascension to the rank of Captain of the Chapter's First Company, it was likely wielded by others before that time (players might want to build an army that represents a Blood Angels force from earlier in history).

Similarly, the Angel's Wing relic may have been used by others. Just because it wasn't used when the Tyranids attacked doesn't mean anything. It was likely used prior to that, and in the centuries since that time.

The thing about relics is that they don't necessarily have permanent owners. Some may be associated with specific roles, or may be temporarily granted for use to individuals, but individuals die. Alternately, they may accept such an honour, but may continue to use other weapons/wargear as their needs/desires lead them.