Seeker Missiles and Skyrays

Charlo

Does anyone use Sky Ray tanks? Or even just seeker Missiles often?

Personally, they seem like they'd be half decent in numbers for some Alpha Strike and then you have Markerlights with Decent BS and an annoying body to throw around and gum up enemy units/ block things etc

Especially good in the context of my army: keeping the 8 untargettable.

Then in terms of Seeker missiles are they useful and worth the points?

I've used the sky ray in a few smaller (1250/1500) games. It does okay, successfully landing 3-4 seeker missiles on turn one. After that, it was more or less a SMS platform as moving it meant the marker lights didn't hit very often (for me).

I've had poor luck with seeker missiles in general as I have poor luck with marker lights. On paper, I should be much more successful than I am in practice. Hitting 50% of the time in theory means I hit about 16% of the time in practice. Maybe I need new dice.

If you play against armies with lots of flyers, the sky ray will do much better and I recommend it.

Does anyone use Sky Ray tanks? Or even just seeker Missiles often?

Personally, they seem like they'd be half decent in numbers for some Alpha Strike and then you have Markerlights with Decent BS and an annoying body to throw around and gum up enemy units/ block things etc

Especially good in the context of my army: keeping the 8 untargettable.

Then in terms of Seeker missiles are they useful and worth the points?

I have never really considered using a Skyray with The Eight. Seems like an awkward fit to me but maybe you can make it work.

In a heavy mech list with lots of Hammerheads + Longstrike I think they are excellent. As you note the potential for a devastating seeker missile alpha-strike is definitely there.

There was a more or less successfull seeker missile spam T'au list on a tournament some months ago (WarhammerTV streamed the game). Source of the seekers was mostly Piranhas though. Not sure if it did well enough to keep getting played or whether it was only a semi-successfull experiment though.