Hydras: Yes or No?

BIG ROB OF DEATH

I kinda like hydras, especially considering what the Vigilus Defiant Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company rules provide, and also with helpful strategems. However, I heard someone say they are also especially good against things like eldar jetbikes and the like. What is your recommendation/experience with hydras? Thanks! PS- are hydras unusually effective against flyers AND bikes?

Edited by BIG ROB OF DEATH

I've used them to great effect against Harlequin bikes. Against armies with lots of flyers, they put in work. The downside is that they're terrible for shooting ground units. I usually take 1 in my take all comers list to sneak a wound on to an eldar model.

Side note: I hate eldar particularly alaitoc, so I've considered bringing 9 hydras to a tournament so that the eldar players feel like they're being targeted.

Thanks, HallofStovokor. I am thinking more along the lines of two hydras in my almost-solidified tournament army against all comers. Probably also a wyvern, basilisk and manticore and Emperor's Wrath. 9 hydras for me are way too much- maybe I'll go as high as three, but right now I have two of them. Thanks for your comments!

I always bring 1 in every list I have that includes tanks. Hell, I think I even managed to pop a couple damage against a knight list last weekend despite him not having any fliers. Getting reliable 3+ to hit on fliers though is very nice and with the prevalence of jet bikes and jump troops it usually works out in your benefit. If he has no fliers then maybe it will get lucky and pop the last 2 damage off of something else. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hydras are nice to have against stuff with fly.

They can even do some damage vs. chaff and light vehicles in a pinch.

The one I have goes in almost every 2k list I write.

I wouldn't bring more though, resp. only 2-3 max even in extreme cases.

It's also one of the first units to go when playing with lower points limits.

(I prefer the old forgeworld model with the closed turret over the current model by the way. Second vehicle conversion I did was convert a chimera to a hydra using HWT autocannons.)

The way the rules work currently, Hellhounds can perform a similar role.

Side note: I hate eldar particularly alaitoc, so I've considered bringing 9 hydras to a tournament so that the eldar players feel like they're being targeted.

Why stop at 9 hydras when the imperial soup is so tasty?

Astra Militarum: company commander, 9 hydras

Space Marines: techmarine, 3 hunters and/or stalkers

Adeptus Mechanicus: techpriest, 9 onagers w/icarus array

Probably have to drop something due to points limit, and will not stand much of a chance against ground based & tac lists, but flyer lists would cry.

Then again, amassing the models named just to play a list with such a narrow purpose is most likely not worth it.

As above I think it depends on what games you're getting. Against tough targets like Stormravens they can struggle a bit, but if you're up against lots of Fly keyword units then they can put in some good work for you. Adding one can offer some versatility and if there's a lot of enemy units zipping around the skies then a couple is well worth considering :)

Don't forget it takes very little effort to have them swap into Wyverns also ;)

Adeptus Mechanicus: techpriest, 9 onagers w/icarus array

A bit off-topic, but you can't squadron Onagers anymore. :sad.:

That's good to know - last time I had a look at an admech codex was a while back.

• 2 weeks later...

From a purely fluff perspective, I'd say that if you have any tanks and are expecting air attack, you would automatically have an anti-aircraft asset. 

I chose a Hydra over any other options because it gave me the opportunity to add a bit of spice to my Leman Russ company... so I'd say "YES" :) .