What's in a first company now?

Thalidar

Sorry if this seems like a daft question but after 6-7 years away I've come back and was going to make up a few Veteran troops for my small force which were to have come from the first company but after going through the new Space Marines book (8.5) I'm totally bamboozled.  

It briefly mentions vet' intercessors, then has a full on spread over them all being Vanguard, Sternguard, Termies etc but no mention of the new Primarus ranges. I figure okay maybe it's some of their elites but no, they've pictures of all the elites and none have the trim for first company on any pictures. In fact I can't find any pictures other than the old 1st company photo's that have the white trim anywhere.

So if I read it right their can't be any of the Primarus range in this company which makes no sense as you have complete Primarus chapters only, or have GW just made the first company no better than any other company now. (IE: have they taken out the elitism and unique nature of this company even though the book specifically mentions them as the Vet's).

I'm trying to create some for my Imp' Fists successor chapter so any clarity is appreciated.

Cheers

Thalidar

Explicitly veteran Primaris troops will show up at some point, but until then the first company hasn't changed much.

A primaris-only chapter's first company consists of naked marines waiting for their equipment to be released in a future update.

I believe it was stated recently (the White Dwarf article maybe?) that the Dark Angels are accepting primaris into the Deathwing, but only in Gravis armour. So I'd imagine it would be kosher to have veteran Intercessors, Aggressors, and maybe Inceptors in the 1st company at the moment; though aside from the stratagem for Intercessors it would be just a paint scheme at the moment rather than anything reflected in actual rules. More than likely we'll get more Gravis or similar units to fill the roles of current veterans.

Pretty much the same as before plus potentially Veteran Intercessors and Ancients (if they aren't company veterans). Also Victrix Guard if you are UM.

We'll know more whenever GW gets around to release actual Veteran Primaris.

Page 12 of the UM supplement makes specific mention of Veteran Intercessors and Inceptors being in the 1st Company, and also makes mention that they occasionally deploy in Phobos armour. This months white dwarf dark angels supplement also mentions that graves armour is being inducted into the deathwing.

Vehicle wise it also makes mention of Repulsors and redemptor dreadnoughts being used.

In terms of actual models, currently the above is limited to a stratagem for intercessors and a different paint job to represent all of the above on the tabletop. I expect there’ll be an actual veteran unit or sprue released alongside the long awaited third wave of marines, maybe even after that.

Gameplaywise you only really have the option of veteran intercessors. The lore mentiones can be justification for you to paint your Primaris marines differently, but would just make it confusing if you want your veteran themed models also to be represented by veteran stats. Two reiver squads or aggressor squads or what have you, while painted diffrently, would still be identical statwise.

And this isn't even touching on the fact that I don't really feel like I want to commit to painting even a veteran intercessor squad when the way to fielding is something flimsy like a stratagem, as opposed to a proper data sheet (said stratagem was also changed not to add the 'veteran' keyword to the squad, in stark contrast to the vigilus version of the stratagem, which only compounds this feeling)