Next Step Advice: What to add, how to paint?

General Strike

So, I recently made a trade for a big lot of Thousand Sons, and wanted some help to decide what I need to round out a list, and what a cool and easy paint scheme for them is.

Heres what I got in the deal:

New Ahriman on Disc

Metal Ahriman on Foot

Chaos Sorceror in Terminator Armor

20x New Rubrics with Icon of Flame, Boltguns, and 2x Soulreapers

15x Scarab Occults with 3x Missile Racks and 2x Soulreapers

30x Old Metal/Resin Rubrics

30x Tzaangors with dual blades

Magnus

That looks to put me at around 2500 points, but want to know how I should flesh out for a list.

Also, what is an easy paint scheme for them that you would think is cool? This is my third army, and I mostly just want to keep my hobby passion running after finishing my Ultras.

Welcome to the Thousand Sons, sounds like you've got a solid collection already :smile.: Are they assembled and painted to any degree or are you starting from scratch?

I don't think you need much, certainly there's enough to keep you busy with already! :tongue.: I'd consider some armour/long ranged AT as an addition, maybe some Helbrutes or Predators with lascannons but I'd aim to get some game time in with what you have before putting any money down. Get a feel for the army and who knows? Things might have changed by the time you get round to new additions..!

As for colour schemes despite the detail on the new models they're pretty easy to paint, just a bit more time consuming for it. For example I'm far from a good painter, all I do is follow a simplified version of Duncan's method: gold primer, Reikland Flesh wash, Sigmarite drybrush highlight, block in main colour, wash main colour, apply secondary colour to stripe, finish with eyes/details/etc. It's not difficult to do at all, but looks great :smile.:

The amount of gold means all you really need to do is decide what primary and secondary colours you wish to use - so long as they work with gold (or whatever other colour you may wish to use here) you can't go wrong :biggrin.: Are there any particular colours you like, or might want to try? I'm presuming something different to blue after your Ultras - perhaps the Heresy red if you want to go with an established colour? Otherwise with a DIY thrallband the World is your oyster ;)

Don't forget to keep us updated with pictures :tu:

So, it's all built, I'm currently building my plan of action. The Terminators are partially painted, all primed, and same for Ahriman and the new Rubrics. The old rubrics are badly painted, so I need to figure out if I should strip them or just prime over the paint, and I want to boost their height a little bit to be closer to the new rubrics. I'll snap some pictures of the group tonight, and see if you guys think I should go through the trouble of stripping the metal/resin rubrics or if they can primed over. I was thinking I might prime with leadbelcher, then do a orange theme for them. It's different from my ultras.

Yeah, my plan is to spray the whole model with Leadbelcher, dry brush with dawnstone then necron compound, then paint with either contrast gryph hound orange or jokaero orange and wash with Rockland. I'm unsure about using contrasts because they aren't good for line painting, more for coating a whole model in a color.

Drakenhof is a good wash (I use it on my Son's main purple colour, give it a hint of blue), I'm not sure if it might be a bit too different out of the pot however. Might be worth thinning it a little to try as an alternative, so it's less obvious? I'm thinking that Leadbelcher isn't what I'd call a silver, but you have plenty of models to try it out and see what works for you :thumbsup: