MaliGn paints: The Changeling

MaliGn

Ok so my local store is running a luck dip painting comp for the store anniversary. I got The Changeling so I'm giving it a go.

I've got an idea for the scheme of a galaxy, nebula cloak with blue and gold trim. I've not painted a galaxy effect before and I'm not using an airbrush but here's as far as I've got with some wet blending, sponges and some washing and glazing. I know I need to add stars and stuff but I'd like some feedback on the effect I have achieved so far.

gallery_62155_15862_131728.jpg

Looking good! I really like the very subtle difference between each arm, and the starfield effect is really impressive, especially given it was done without an airbrush!

I will say I'd be tempted to do something a bit different with the flames coming from the robe. Most notably, when you're painting fire you usually want to do it brightest in the recesses. That aside though this is looking great!

Looking good! I really like the very subtle difference between each arm, and the starfield effect is really impressive, especially given it was done without an airbrush!

I will say I'd be tempted to do something a bit different with the flames coming from the robe. Most notably, when you're painting fire you usually want to do it brightest in the recesses. That aside though this is looking great!

Thanks! The flames for the base are just hexwraith flame over ulthuan grey at the moment, just so I could see what that might look like, I'm increasingly tempted to re-do them as regular flame.

Here's a quick update, I've been working on the blue trim on the stole etc, I know I'm going to need to go back and tidy up, but there's a few other bits I need to do before I go back to that.

gallery_62155_15862_66159.jpg

So, I glazed the gold with yriel yellow mixed into contrast medium, which worked out ok, I then went back with reikland flesh shade before hitting the final highlights of ushabti bone and white scar. So then I went and did the gemstones which I'm quite pleased with.

Plan is to do the shaft of the shaft in ivory/bone and the fish in blue-silvers so I guess the feathers should be green and purple. Anyone got any better suggestions?

gallery_62155_15862_216811.jpg

gallery_62155_15862_188094.jpg

gallery_62155_15862_81364.jpg

gallery_62155_15862_21547.jpg

Got the ivories done, and made a start on the head of the staff, i:'m getting close with this guy, which means I will have plenty of time to finish another project due the same day, so will be glad to be done.

All comments as ever appreciated.

gallery_62155_15862_41003.jpg

gallery_62155_15862_22515.jpg

Looks amazing! Nice job!

Thanks!

I'm basically all done bar the basing now, I have to say it's been quite refreshing painting something that I wouldn't normally bother with. I'm pretty conscious of my hobby budget so I only tend to buy stuff for my ongoing word bearers project and even then on a pretty slow basis.

gallery_62155_15862_110405.jpg

gallery_62155_15862_254536.jpg

I finished him! I have to say I really struggled with the "tzeentch energy" underneath him, I think this was the fourth attempt and if I'm not I'm not 100% satisfied. However overall I'm pretty pleased with my efforts on this model which was a bit of a departure for me in terms of things to paint. Now to get him entered in the competition!

Please do let me know what you think!

gallery_62155_15862_115053.jpg

gallery_62155_15862_134134.jpg

gallery_62155_15862_229736.jpg

gallery_62155_15862_28271.jpg